UKC

aberdeen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ste Brom 08 Apr 2006
nearest places for a decent days cragging??

or the best place???
 Mike C 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:

What sort of grade routes are you looking for, & how far are you willing to travel? There's a lot to choose from.
 Norrie Muir 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:

Dear Ste

If, you have the time go to Creag an Dubh Loch, but it is winter there just now.

Norrie
Ste Brom 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom: sorry
ill rephrase....

whats aberdeen like in terms of a base for going climbing?

is there much in ~1hr radius?

any grade, any type.
 Norrie Muir 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:
> is there much in ~1hr radius?
>
Dear Ste

Is that 1hr walking, driving or what?

Norrie
 Mike C 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:

Plenty of seacliffs, south & north of the city, granite. Meikle Partens one of the better to the north.

Just over the hour I guess is Logie Head, probably the best crag on the Moray Coast, hard sandstone.

Pass of Ballater, steeper granite, about an hour inland.

That's just for starters!

HTH
Mike
Ste Brom 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: i was thinking horseless carriage;

however, i will be on shanks pony when i get there so i guess; is there anything an hours walk?
Ste Brom 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Mike C: lol thats alright then. i still have nightmares about norwich.

almost embarrased i asked now.
 Mike C 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:

Don't worry, definitely more access to crags than Norwich. Evening cragging is easy in the summer.

Mike (who moved to Aberdeenshire from Norwich 9 years ago!)
 Norrie Muir 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:

Dear Ste

For more and better information you should make a post on http://www.scottishclimbs.com/phpBB2/index.php

Norrie
Ste Brom 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: cool ta.
 Mike C 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir) i was thinking horseless carriage;
> is there anything an hours walk?

You can get the bus to Cove area & walk from there easily. Plenty to choose from. #

Norrie's enjoying his pedantry, as far as he's concerned as a confirmed west coaster there will be little of worthwhile merit this far east
 Norrie Muir 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Mike C:
> Norrie's enjoying his pedantry, as far as he's concerned as a confirmed west coaster there will be little of worthwhile merit this far east

Dear Mike

You know hee haw about me, at least I have climbed some quality mountain routes in the eastcoast. People who post on ScottishClimbs know more about that area than you will ever know.

Norrie
 Mike C 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

I'm sure you have Norrie, thanks for biting

There are many folk who know an awful lot more than me about the area, it just appeared that I was the only poor soul on UKC at the moment
ultra montane 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Mike C)
> [...]
>
> Dear Mike
>
> You know hee haw about me, at least I have climbed some quality mountain routes in the eastcoast.

I didn't think there were any mountains on the east coast Norrie.
 Mike C 08 Apr 2006
In reply to ultra montane:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> [...]
>
> I didn't think there were any mountains on the east coast

There are some pretty big ones not that far away. With some good crags on them too.
 Norrie Muir 08 Apr 2006
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> I didn't think there were any mountains on the east coast Norrie.

Dear ultra

I agree with that statement, however, there are 'mountain routes'. It is debateble that they qualify as 'quality', I give some the benefit of doubt.

Norrie
 Chris Davids 08 Apr 2006
Slightly off topic but is it possible to get to Clach na Beinn using public transport?

Cheers
ultra montane 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Chris Davids:
> Slightly off topic but is it possible to get to Clach na Beinn using public transport?
>
> Cheers

Yes, there is a funicular railway to just below the summit tor.
 Mike C 08 Apr 2006

You could get to Banchory by bus, but I don't know if there is any service going up the Strachan/Fettercairn road.
 Chris Davids 08 Apr 2006
<Yes, there is a funicular railway to just below the summit tor.>

But do they allow you to get out at the top? Or is just for the skiers?
 Chris Davids 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Mike C:

Cheers, how long a walk would it be from Banchory? I'm guessing it's uphill all the way.
 Ian McNeill 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:
the sea cliffs are good a mini Cornwall though generally with out the sun Sooter head is good - Ballater pass too.
the the NIGG bay area cliffs are good too
 Mike C 08 Apr 2006

Eight or nine miles to the car park, more up than down : http://tinyurl.com/fzvgs
Car park is near the Glen Dye House road.
 SonyaD 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Mike C: And a one and a half hour walk up the hill as well!
 Stuart S 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:

I reckon there is no city centre in the UK with a three star guidebook route closer (thinking of Talisker at the Whisky Cliff, approx 1.5 miles from the Bon Accord Centre).

Aberdeen is without a doubt the best city in Scotland, and one of the best in the UK for evening cragging, with over a thousand routes on dozens of crags all within an hour's drive.

The stretch between Nigg and Cove is easily accessible using one of the city bus routes. Newtonhill is also on a bus route, and from there, it's only a couple of minutes walk to the nearest crag.

Logie Head, Clach na Beinn and the Pass of Ballater are the pick of the crags away from the coast once you get yourself sorted out with transport (though you could easily do the Pass by taking the bus to Ballater itself and walking round to the crag).

Get yourself a copy, or at least a look at Northeast Outcrops - it'll show you what's what.

And Norrie - I'd ease off on Mike C. At least he's an Aberdeen local and is being helpful. There are very few Aberdeen locals posting much on Scottishclimbs at the moment, so I suspect the OP has less chance of as much useful advice posting on there. In my opinion, of course.
Ste Brom 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Stuart S: then all i can say is...

look out for a scouse get in the summer. if you hear a high pitched whine its not midgees.
 Norrie Muir 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Stuart S:
There are very few Aberdeen locals posting much on Scottishclimbs at the moment, so I suspect the OP has less chance of as much useful advice posting on there. In my opinion, of course.

Dear Stuart

There are very few Aberdonians go climbing, however, many locals post as if they are. In my opinion, of course.

Norrie
 Stuart S 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

But in what way does that fact/opinion make Aberdeen different from anywhere else in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...