UKC

Picking 1 mountain to explore...which?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 27 Oct 2023

I have an idea for next year....I'm going to pick one hill and really spend some time in it...as in sleep on it, spend real time for a while visiting it and getting to know the detail, really looking....and photographing it.

The question is which.....the one that constantly comes to mind is Slioch...it's big, a great place, not usually too busy etc...

I'd be interested in any other suggestions...

PaulJepson 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

An tealach 

DizzyVizion 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Stob Dubh in Gen Etive. Just a corbet so relatively quiet. But still impressive as a mountain.

JLS 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Got to be Ben Nevis. Having ascended/descended by many different routes, I still don't feel like I known it all that well.

ScraggyGoat 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Blavern (including Clach Glas) most either do the traverse (which once you step off the via norm lead to interesting and surprising bypasses) or the tourist route. It has a host of nooks and cranny’s, little frequented corries on its NW side, wandering sunny scrambles on CG East face (for a bit of fun you could try descending this face in homage to previous early Cullin devotees), devious route finding scrambles on Blavern that are very rarely ascended. All with the back drop of the Hebrides and the main ridge. 

If you are visiting several times, in winter the back side feels very remote, brews on occasion a lot of ice, and has one of the most exposed (but short) Grade  II gullies in Scotland. 

henwardian 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Mauna Kea.

Tony Buckley 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Ben More Assynt.  If you're going to devote that much attention to one hill - and I'd make it the range rather than just one summit - then you want to have places that aren't too well known and which could repay the time you spend with a real feeling of discovery.  There's lots on the east side that would serve just such a purpose (you'd need to chat to the estate management, but that shouldn't be too much of a bother I'd have thought) and at the end of your year you'd have been to lots of places that are very seldom visited.

If you chat to some cavers you might even manage a trip beneath it too.

If that doesn't take your fancy, then how about Sgurr na Ciche?  Again, the range rather than just the one summit.  Lots of tales to tell round those parts.

T.

Siward 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Beinn Eighe? Or Sgurr nan Ceathremenanwotsit (Chrysanthemum)  in Glen Affric maybe.

Doug 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Long time ago I spent large parts of 3 summers on Ben Lawers for field work for an undergraduate dissertation, then for work. At the end I was still finding new corners or interesting corners, etc. I suspect the same would be true for most of the larger Scottish hills.  Maybe somewhere close to where you live would be best ?

Lankyman 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Ingleborough is the one. It's a massif with topographical, geological, historical, speleological and archaeological interest. It's the logical choice.

And I've slept on it.

Post edited at 17:25
 pasbury 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Bidean nam Bian, more ridges, corries and routes up than you can shake a stick at.

Matt Podd 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Cadair Idris will keep you busy for a year or two.

DaveHK 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Ben Macdui

Braeriach

Beinn a' Bhuird

Foinaven

DaveHK 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Ben More Coigach for the added value of coastal views/walks.

Edit: In fact, forget everything else, it's definitely Ben More Coigach you want.

Post edited at 20:37
 ExiledScot 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

If nothing else this thread proves how much there is to explore. My summer ML assessment was a lap of Snowdon at mid height, 2 nights camping, not once on a summit or walked over the same ground twice, it brings a different perspective to a hill you think you already know. Many of those listed are great, I'll add in Creag Meagaidh, there's a world beyond the post face. 

Brass Nipples 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Bleaklow

JCurrie 27 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Lochnagar 

French Erick 28 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Foinaven was my first thought then quineag and Ben mòr coigeach 

alan moore 28 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Depends on where you are based obviously, but with its five corries, multiple summits and many faceted coastal lighting, the hill formerly known as Mount Snowdon would be hard to beat.

In reply to abr1966:

Moelwyn Bach has a lot of things to photograph

Rupert Woods 28 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

All these great mountains are far too obvious - how about pick an obscure lump, Binnein Beag for example. Walked up this in 1980, rained throughout, didn’t see a thing. A year on this would establish once and for all whether it has any redeeming features whatsoever!

Lankyman 28 Oct 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

> If nothing else this thread proves how much there is to explore. My summer ML assessment was a lap of Snowdon at mid height, 2 nights camping, not once on a summit or walked over the same ground twice, it brings a different perspective to a hill you think you already know. Many of those listed are great, I'll add in Creag Meagaidh, there's a world beyond the post face. 

I've done similar circuits and traverses of some Lakes fells. A good one was along the Eskdale flank of Crinkle Crags.

SATTY 28 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Great gable,including looking at history of moses as in moses trod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...