UKC

Scrambles/easy climbs in the Picos de Europa

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 10 Jan 2020

Looking for some recommendations as above.

I will be solo and won't have a rope with me so maybe vdiff max and nothing with an abseil descent.

Also, I'm assuming an axe and crampons won't be required in July/August?

Cheers.

spenser 11 Jan 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I can't really help with route recommendations as both of the big routes which I did were around HVS.

You might find a small amount of snow in north facing corries etc. There was one patch on the walk in to the Naranjo De Bulnes when I did it a few years ago, however the crossing was very short and there was no need for crampons as it was quite soft.

In reply to DaveHK:

Definitely won't need axes/crampons in mid summer - finding/carrying enough water was our problem in August (very few springs)

We climbed a couple of routes which didn't require abseils, which whilst not VDiffs might be within your range (your profile indicates that you are very proficient by my standards!)

Sur Classica on Torre de los Horcados Rojo (excellent route with a couple of tricky sections but mostly straightforward, tho once you've started you are committed). Walk off along the summit ridge to rejoin main path

Espolon Rojizo on Picos de Santa Ana (easier long slabby route to a summit finish with an entertaining scramble descent - perhaps a nice way up too...?)

There is a lovely little Spanish guidebook for the easier routes in the Picos - I'll ask my friend to post title/details on here for you - which will have plenty for you to choose from

OP DaveHK 11 Jan 2020
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Cheers, I'll check them out.

My profile is pretty out of date and the rock grades certainly not current!

smoreda 11 Jan 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

The majority of the main summits are good scrambles/mountaineering days: Torrecerredo, Torre del Llambrión, Tesorero (Central Massif); Torre de Santa María (Western Massif)... to name just a few. They all are grade I-II scrambles, plus long approaches; big days in the mountains as a whole. 

Upping the game a bit, there are many classic ridge traverses: Argaos (Western Massif), Cabrones-Torrecerredo (Central Massif)... but whilst you may not need to pitch any section of the climb, it is standard to do them with a harness and rope to abseil sections that otherwise would be steep, exposed downclimbs.

For a solo trip like yours (no climbing gear, no partner), taking a harness and perhaps 30 m. of cord might be a good compromise. My overall impression is that with a detailed knowledge of the area there is loads that you can do with no gear whatsoever, but being able to abseil (if only short sections) opens many possibilities, plus added reassurance in terms of route finding problems etc. 

The guidebooks buxtoncoffeelover refers to are, both by www.desnivel.com: 

Escaladas Fáciles en Picos de Europa - Fuente De

Escaladas Fáciles en Picos de Europa - Vegarredonda

OP DaveHK 12 Jan 2020
In reply to smoreda:

> For a solo trip like yours (no climbing gear, no partner), taking a harness and perhaps 30 m. of cord might be a good compromise. 

​​​​​​That had crossed my mind but I'm going to be travelling by bike so might not have space. Thanks for the recommendations.

OP DaveHK 12 Jan 2020
In reply to smoreda:

> The majority of the main summits are good scrambles/mountaineering days: Torrecerredo, Torre del Llambrión, Tesorero (Central Massif); Torre de Santa María (Western Massif)... to name just a few. They all are grade I-II scrambles, plus long approaches; big days in the mountains as a whole. 

Thinking about it, this is probably the sort of thing I'm after.

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 12 Jan 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Can't really think of anything that easy. The easiest route in the mountains I did was south face of maranta del bulnes, but the cruxes low down were polished so the ropes felt reassuring.

There are a few Via Ferrata's nearby. One in Hermida and one in Los Llanos. These are more like small bragging VF. There is a more mountainous one to the north I can't remember the name but details can be found in the Tourist Info in Petes.

There is also three VF near to Ramales, the details of which are easy to get hold of in the Tourist Info in town. You need a pulley for one, which links into another. The other two are quite remote, one super easy the other strenuous.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...