UKC

Slovenia in mid-May for a general holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Looking to do a couple of weeks in Slovenia in mid-May for a general holiday. No climbing but some mountain walking and photography opportunities would be great.

Looking at Bovec and Kransjka Gora. Is there enough in and around each location for a fortnight or would a week in each place be better. They don't appear to be too far apart so is there somewhere else further afield within Slovenia that would be different for the second week?

Is mid May likely to still be too early to get up high for ridge walking due to snow?

Is the local cuisine vegetarian friendly, especially outside of Ljubljana? I suspect the proximity to Italy might help with simple veggie pasta dishes.

Anything else to consider?

Ta.

In reply to Professor Bunsen:

Damn, half written a reply and it disappeared....

Not been in May yet, so can't help with the logistics, and not stayed / visited Kranjska Gora.

Around Bovec there certainly would be plenty for a week, there's also the Soča valley running down from there - pretty stunning.

Food wise, my lass is a veggie and it's not great tbh. A lot of pizza, salads etc. There does seem to be a slight improvement in the food scene, with the now being a 2 Michelin starred restaurant in Kobarid if you're feeling mega flush!  https://guide.michelin.com/gb/en/gorizia/kobarid/restaurant/hisa-franko

The food scene is one thing that slightly lets down Slovenia, but the scenery and people make up for it.

In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Thanks, re the food, that was more or less my expectations from having been to the balkans previously. Things look better around Ljubljana but I thought it might be more challenging further afield.

tallsteve 30 Oct 2022

Went to Slovenia in September this year. Beautiful country, plenty of lower hills if the tops are snow bound (likely).  The Triglav national park is lovely with lots to offer. Bled is lovely and I recommend the castle.  Don't forget the caves near Trieste.  Food is basic even for meat eaters. mostly a type of soup that may or may not have meat in it.  Lots of woodland walks. We did mountains and caves then hit Croatia near Pula, though in May the sea may be cold. For cheap flights try Triest, Venice or Pula then hit a car. Everyone speaks excellent English and them assume you're German. If the mountain tops are clear they are scrambles in the crib goch or cuillin sure.  Exposed and exciting. Would definitely go back.

Toerag 31 Oct 2022

I'd have though there was still a chance of snow on the tops / north sides in May, so be prepared for that / do some research.  I think there's enough walking to go at, and there's VFs too - be aware that they're often at the serious end of the scale i.e. like oldskool Dolomite ones but even less protected.  Be prepared for some big days if you want to do summits, the lack of lift infrastructure means a lot of ascent/descent.  There's a good Cicerone guidebook.  Food is cheap, but not necessarily good and you may find veggie options limited.

In reply to Toerag:

Thanks, not likely to be up to any VF. Mostly an R&R type holiday but some pleasant ridge walking would be nice. Was concerned about lack of lift infrastructure but some lower level walks would be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...