UKC

West country trad and surf?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon de Leyser 11 May 2023

Hello,

My wife and I are coming to the UK for a holiday in June. We are looking for campsites in Cornwall and Devon with reasonable access by car to both trad crags (S-E1 terrain), and surfable beaches. Also looking for surf school/instructor.

Any tips / recommendations gratefully received!

Thanks, Jonathan

PaulJepson 11 May 2023
In reply to Jon de Leyser:

The two spots which come to my mind are:

Devon - Baggy Point (climbing) near Croyde (surfing)

Cornwall - Sennen (both). 

Tower Park campsite is good but you're spoiled for choice in Cornwall. It's also not very far to all the good surfing and climbing from anywhere in west penwith. 

alan moore 12 May 2023

Bude is another option with surfing and climbing next door to each other. 

If learning to surf, Saunton and Westward Ho! are some of the best spots, with slow and reliable waves. Both have long standing surf schools. Croyde gets all the pizazz but is not such a good wave to learn on.

On the North coast of Cornwall, your choices are endless but the climbing is pretty adventurous and the surfing often less beginner friendly.

For climbing and surfing, be tide-savvy. Tides will make or break your trip.

dig26 12 May 2023

Hi Jonathan, if you don’t mind basic facilities I’d recommend Carne camping on the north coast near Morvah. Really reasonable price in a rural setting with basic toilet block and no frills. Just check their seasonal opening times. Its location is equidistant from Bosigran and Sennen which are the must-visit Cornish crags, both are so breathtaking and atmospheric (Bosigran is mostly multipitch if you’re happy with that, excellent tea room just down the road from the parking too!) Sennen area would fulfil your surfing needs (Sennen surf centre based there). On a holiday visit I personally wouldn’t bother with the Culm coast further north in Devon and Cornwall, conditions are more changeable and it’s more sketchy adventure-style trad, unless that’s your thing of course.

Devon-wise, I would recommend Dewerstone for some Dartmoor climbing history, and hound tor/ haytor for some classic moorland cragging, though they’re touristy areas of the moor they are great and have loads of nice picturesque pubs and villages nearby. Great for walking too if you get rained off (likely at some point!). Chudleigh also has some good limestone trad. North coast (Bude) etc for plenty of surfing. Can’t comment on campsites around Devon as it’s where I grew up but sure there’s plenty of good ones. Hope this helps! Drop us a direct email if you want to chat further.

OP Jon de Leyser 12 May 2023
In reply to Jon de Leyser: Thanks everyone!

Tom the tall 12 May 2023
In reply to Jon de Leyser: if it doesn’t have to be south west England, Gower and Pembrokeshire have been brilliant for me for surf and climb combination trips.

yodadave 12 May 2023

SSS Newquay is an excellent surf school. I would Highly recommend!

You're never too far from good surf or good rock but good instruction is hard to find IMO 

mbh 12 May 2023

Camp anywhere on West Penwith (west of St Ives and Penzance and you have easy access by car to all the West Penwith granite (Sennen, Chair Ladder, Bosigran and more besides with loads in the S-E1 range). You also are close to Sennen and Gwenver beaches at Sennen, and Gwithian, Portreath, Porthtowan, St Agnes and Perranporth not too far up the coast. Just a notch still further up is Fistral and the other Newquay-ish beaches.

Near to Sennen are Treverven, Trevedra and Trevaylor camp sites, and surely others I don't know of. Trevaylor is really close to St Just, which has a delightful central square with several pubs, shops and cafes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...