UKC

Flying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ostarke 24 May 2022

Hey guys,

So I will be heading to Geneva on the 1st of June; but I have encountered a problem with easy jet...

Is all my mountaineering equipment classed as sports equipment? Because they're saying that I have to buy two hold bags, for one bag of sports equipment. One normal hold, and one sports hold for one bag of my stuff for the expedition. Can I just buy the sports equipment hold and have my summiting gear in there too? my clothes etc. I tried calling but they just hung up on me when I was asking what then reason was.

mrphilipoldham 24 May 2022
In reply to ostarke:

What are you taking that doesn't fit in a normal bag? 'Sports equipment' is anything of unusual size.. skis etc. Axes, crampons, tent, ropes, gear all fit in a hold bag so it's irrelevent to them

OP ostarke 24 May 2022
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Axes, crampons, tents and ropes all fit into my normal bag!

thank you very much for this reply, you've saved me a lot of money...

morpcat 24 May 2022
In reply to ostarke:

Other tips: Wear your boots and puffy jackets to save on packing space. Put anything compact and heavy (e.g. batteries) into your carry on bag, try and get this as heavy as possible. Ropes, axes, crampons and all the metalwork in a duffel bag. Cardboard works well to cover the points if you don't have protectors (remember to save them). Check whether you are going to Geneva's France or Switzerland terminal in advance, particularly if you are booking car hire. 

Jenny C 24 May 2022
In reply to ostarke:

Booking sports equipment is usually only required for bulky items (eg skis) that wont in a normal bag, with some airlines it's also a cheaper option than paying per kg for excess baggage.

If you can pack within the limits of a standard checked bag no need to pay extra for the sports grear.

Also as above you can save on weight/space by wearing heavy/bulky clothing, also by taking full advantage of your pockets when traveling through the airport.

montyjohn 25 May 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

> Also as above you can save on weight/space by wearing heavy/bulky clothing, also by taking full advantage of your pockets when traveling through the airport.

Just don't shove your axes in your carry on.......

Jenny C 25 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I once came very close to wearing my drysuit for a flight - back when the liquid ban first came in an all hand luggage was prohibited.

montyjohn 25 May 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

> I once came very close to wearing my drysuit for a flight - back when the liquid ban first came in an all hand luggage was prohibited.

That would have been a sweaty mess. Perfect for a water landing however.

Jenny C 25 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Better than diving in the Arctic circle without it!

Luckily we flew the morning that they relaxed restrictions, so it was able to go hand luggage instead. 

Slarti B 27 May 2022
In reply to morpcat: "Put anything compact and heavy (e.g. batteries) into your carry on bag"

I think you will find batteries should not be put in hold baggage anyway, fire risk.

Jan Pawlowski 28 May 2022
In reply to Slarti B:

I can confirm that you are right about the batteries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...