UKC

Wanted: Hot knife / electric cutter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayW (user since 17/Apr/19) 07 Feb 2024

I am after a hot knife/electric cutter - anyone willing to part with one?

dingbat46 07 Feb 2024
In reply to JayW:

If it's for only a few ropes then I found a butane powered one from Amazon for £30 worked well?

OP JayW 08 Feb 2024
In reply to dingbat46:

As in a butane torch and then just heat up a knife?

Will Hunt 08 Feb 2024
In reply to JayW:

If it's just for the odd rope at home then you can take an old kitchen knife that you don't mind sacrificing, heating the end of the blade on the gas stove and chopping when it's hot (glowing). It'll tarnish the knife which then goes in your DIY box for next time. If you're in a shop selling cord off the reel you'll obviously want something more efficient.

nniff 08 Feb 2024
In reply to JayW:

Or just cut the rope flat, with a very sharp knife, on a chopping board and then melt the end in a gas flame and smooth with a wetted finger.  Not great if you've got lots to do, but perfectly sound for a few.

Tony the Blade 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

> you can take an old kitchen knife that you don't mind sacrificing, heating the end of the blade on the gas stove and chopping when it's hot (glowing).

Crikey, this takes me back and I'm not talking ropes (However this action usually lead to me feeling pretty ropey)

Dave Todd 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Crikey, this takes me back and I'm not talking ropes (However this action usually lead to me feeling pretty ropey)

Ah, so THAT'S how you got your username...

probablylost 08 Feb 2024
In reply to nniff:

Even better if you tightly wind electrical tape around the rope first and cut through the tape, and melt the end in the gas flame with the tape still on. You can get a really neat finish this way.

In reply to Tony the Blade:

Hot Knives!! Brilliant 

dingbat46 08 Feb 2024
In reply to JayW:

This is the kit I used, the small knife when hot cuts 10mm effectively

https://amzn.eu/d/dYKcLlV

Post edited at 19:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...