UKC

Walking Poles Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So after 35 years I've just bought my first set of poles. I've never ever used them before. So I thought I'd ask pole aficionados on here for any tips etc. I thought they may help on steep ground, snow, carrying a heavy pack. 

Cheers

Rob

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Cheers Dan

I'll have a look.

Toerag 04 May 2023
In reply to TreeclimbingRob:

Longer on downhill, shorter on up. I find them most useful on descents to take the shockload out of your steps. You can reach forward and place a pole or 2 and lower your weight onto them, thus saving your knees. On ultra-hard terrain (think boulders) this 'third leg' ability really helps prevent falls. I put my weight on the wrist straps and hold the pole in a fairly open pincer grip between thumb and fingers. They're essential for snowshoeing.

ScraggyGoat 04 May 2023

Don’t store damp, best to dry and store extended (or disassembled depending on model) to minimise moisture and corrosion. If they have ferule joints like Leki microvario dont leave these assembled in storage. If damp they may corrode together.

If using in winter get snow baskets, assuming they weren’t supplied with them.

If the upper section isn’t all covered in foam, and isn’t telescoped consider wrapping SOLAS tape round the length of that section. Very good reflective for safety whether that be walking along a road at night, marking your tent/snow hole/ cached rucksacks, or to help being found in the event of emergency.

Some folks instead wrap a good length of gaffer tape there in case needed for repairs.

Jenny C 04 May 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> If the upper section isn’t all covered in foam, and isn’t telescoped consider wrapping SOLAS tape round the length of that section. Very good reflective for safety whether that be walking along a road at night.....

Excellent tip!

montyjohn 04 May 2023

Careful with the straps.

Hard to explain with text, but you want to put your hand through the loop in an upward direction.

This way if you fall, your hand can move away from the pole.

If you put your hand through the loop in a downward direction your hand is stuck with the pole if you fall and you risk snapping something in your hand.

It's also easy to rest your wrist on the loop when you do it the correct way to avoid relying solely on your grip.

ogreville 04 May 2023

I found them to be a revelation. Protects the knees and gives excellent balance on snow, boulders, fording rivers, rough ground with baby carrier etc etc. 

Go for durability over weight. Black diamond ‘Trail’ poles are indestructible. 

Thanks to everyone for the excellent tips. I'm off up the Watkin today then down to Llanberis so they'll get a good work out. Just hope I don't look like an idiot flailing around with some sticks 🤣

Mouflon 05 May 2023

There's been some comments above re the way to use the hand-straps.

I never use the straps on downhill or going over rough ground. Keeps your arms free if you fall.

In fact, even on the flat I don't use them, so over the years have got used to just holding the grips.

It also means going up a steepish hill, you can easily slide your hands further down the grips to 'shorten' the pole without needing to stop and actually shorten them.

AWP84 05 May 2023

Another vote for the Black Diamond Trail poles here, they've taken everything I've thrown at them and I'm sure saved me from injury or at least embarrassment over the years. 

Decide how you're going to store them on your sack when not in use (eg swapped over for ice axe), because they can find a way of sliding off and getting lost. On the ice axe note - it's easy to feel confident on steep ground with them, when perhaps you should have changed to ice axe. So I find I have to be actively thinking about that.

Frank R. 05 May 2023
In reply to Mouflon:

> I never use the straps on downhill or going over rough ground. Keeps your arms free if you fall.

I'd concur. I have had the pole's tip wedge in between stones or in some small crack quite a few times, and there's nothing more embarrassing than flailing around the stuck pole's strap while in your stride (you might also easily bend the pole that way, or potentially lose balance).

As a side‑note, please don't ever flail them behind you when striding along. Not only is it an incorrect technique – not helping you much at all – but also very inconsiderate to anybody behind you. Not that I'd think you being inconsiderate, of course, but I have seen people flailing them such way too many times (and even found myself subconsciously doing the very same thing, d'oh!), so I think it bears repeating.

In reply to Mouflon:

Agree 100%. I hate straps, never use them, and tend to remove them. Because:

• They're sweaty and uncomfy.
  • If you fall or stumble, you really don't want to be attached to your pole at the wrist.
  • If you want to do anything else with your hands, they're a pain.
  • You can't slide your hand up and down the pole as the terrain undulates - something I do a lot.
  • Bio-mechanically, they're really of doubtful benefit anyway.

By and large the walking pole handle has not come a great distance from the ski pole that it was adapted from. Pole manufacturers have yet to catch up with the leashless style we're now familiar with from ice axes. With one notable exception being Pacerpoles - ergonomically the most effective design I have used, by far, and does not include a wrist strap.

Rip van Winkle 05 May 2023

When I first started using poles quite a few years ago it took me three or four days to get the hang of using them so they adapted to my gait instead of the other way round. Back then the advice was to always use the loops in the up-and-through manner others have described. I believe now that's changed and you're advised not to have your hands through the loops if there's "an objective risk of falling" - which you obviously must judge for yourself. This came about, iirc, because of mounting numbers of injuries, including shoulders, from people falling awkwardy with the poles attached to their wrists.

On the other hand, I lost one down a crevasse because I didn't have my hand through the loop when I slipped. The choice is yours!

SuperstarDJ 05 May 2023

You won't go back.  I turned my ankle over quite badly on Pen-y-Fan a few years ago, but with using the poles I was able to go at about 80% of my normal speed without too much discomfort to get back to the car - I was really surprised at just how much them helped.  I also find them really good when descending steepish ground - you can use them to keep your weight over your feet and everything in a straight line so you're not twisting and turing to keep balanced.  Much less tiring and much less chance of hurting yourself. Finally, you notice the difference on multi-day trips - you're so much fresher and less achy on the later days.

David

RX-78 05 May 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I love my pacerpoles, only annoying thing is packing them away as the grip/handle is so large compared to normal poles. It would be good if they could come apart for storage.

In reply to RX-78:

Yes, absolutely: being neatly packable on a climbing day is one of the few reasons I ever use other poles

PaulJepson 05 May 2023

A few people have said they don't like or use the straps. I'm the opposite really, but it does depend on the terrain. 

If I'm smashing steep uphill then I'll generally be relying on the handle grip but for flat, moderately undulating or downhill I'm using mostly the straps. I got quite good with poles at one point and my grip on the handle was akin to how you hold a pencil or chopsticks. A flick of the wrist would swing it where I wanted it to go and I'd weight-bear straight through the strap.  

Forest Dump 05 May 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

This for me aswell, though agree no straps on anything technical or steep! Can really build up some pace and steam with the flick technique

Wainers44 05 May 2023

They take a bit of getting used to but bear with them. Tips...

You will leave them behind somewhere, so always put them down where you will easily find them later.

Walking in a violent cross wind with them is very entertaining.  It's like thrusting a stick into the spokes on a moving bike wheel,  except that you are the one riding the bike....

dread-i 05 May 2023

Going back to technique...

Sometimes its easy just to plod along with them. They take work off your back or legs and improve your posture. For a lot of people that is enough. If you actively push it makes a big difference. Try alternate poles matching strides and also both together, like skiing. If you make them slightly shorter, you can get your head down into 'race mode'. Using them to actively push and pull you along on the flat or hills. Practice jumping puddles and small streams. Using them as a double pole volte, where you place the poles in the middle then jump, or as an extra push before a jump. You can also use them in front of you, when running down hill as a braking system.

As mentioned above adding reflective tape is good, not just for road safety. If you get to a race check point and there are several pairs of poles, you can pick up the right ones, or find them in the grass in the dark. 3M Diamond Grade tape, is what they use on emergency vehicles and reflects brightly.

As for strap or no strap, it depends. Both schools of thought are acceptable, but also interchangeable. You can mix and match throughout a journey. I broke a carbon pole on the slabs on the back of Kinder. It got stuck in a crack whilst I was running. If I wasn't using straps, it may not of broken. But then again that might be the carbon vs alu debate. Also straps are handy if you need to use your hands, whilst walking. You can just let the poles drag along whilst you check your gps or unwrap food. With mittens on, sometimes you can remove your hand and leave the mit in the strap, which reduces faff if you need dexterity.

And, if you're super dedicated, you can get tents (alpkit etc) that use walking poles as tent poles. Though if you're short, you may need to choose a pole with enough extension.

Tringa 05 May 2023
In reply to dread-i:

My wife has trouble with one knee and uses Pacerpoles. She says they have really helped. Although they have little wrist loops she doesn't use them while walking - the shaped handle is fine without them, but finds the loops handy if she is using binoculars or a camera.

Dave

LastBoyScout 06 May 2023

My tuppence is (assuming a 3-section pole) to extend the lowest section fully and then adjust the length with the middle section. Some poles have length markings for the opposite, but doing it this way brings the centre of mass closer to your hand for better balance. That's what I was told, anyway.

I've only used a set once - borrowed to do a slightly sketchy route in unexpected snow when I didn't have an axe or crampons and just found them a total pain. Might improve with practice and - if I use them again - I'll definitely try without the wrist loops.

Rob Exile Ward 06 May 2023

I'm a fan ... I use them for additional traction going up, shock absorption going down, and in all cases - especially carrying heavy loads - they help me stay more upright, and so breathe better, and also less strain.

I use them like ski poles - but then, I am a skier. I.e. have them quite long, so my forearms are horizontal when holding them on the flat; and place each pole carefully and consciously, so I can push down on them going up, or pivot on them going down. With careful placement they rarely ever slip.

Mouflon 06 May 2023

Another tip for those who adjust their poles a fair bit (apols if you all know/do this).

Even though most poles have measurement marks on each section, extend the bottom section fully when you start and extend the top section to your preference.

It means en route, if you want to shorten or lengthen the poles, you only have to adjust the top section instead of both.

It does mean you've got to use your brain at the start to calculate the actual length if the bottom section is always set to say 135cm or 125cm but no problem if like me, you always start with the same length i.e I always have my top section set to just under 100cm.

girlymonkey 06 May 2023

Your hands will be more exposed to wind, so maybe think about taking gloves when you maybe wouldn't normally.

Be careful on boulder fields, they can become more of a liability than a help as they can snag and present a fall hazard. (I once faceplanted one and broke my nose!)

Avoid the ones which twist lock, make sure they have like the snap lock bits (like a bike quick release). The twisty ones don't last so well. 

Basemetal 06 May 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Avoid the ones which twist lock, make sure they have like the snap lock bits (like a bike quick release). The twisty ones don't last so well. 

I found the opposite, as long as you clean the poles and store them separated to let them dry. Twist locks are mechanically  stronger against collapsing, lower profile,  and get jammed less in boulders ( I'm looking at you, Sneachda). Only downside I've found is occasionally harder to operate when seriously frozen after a wetting, but a bit of inner tube gives plenty of grip to fix it.  So far my Pacerpole twist locks have lasted 8 or 9 years summer and winter use. 

Dr.S at work 06 May 2023

I find two a faff, so usually take one and use it as a walking stick. Great for steep ground and streams.

Jack 06 May 2023

They also give you the option of backpacking with light weight tarps or tents that set up with a couple of walking poles. 

timparkin 07 May 2023
In reply to Basemetal:

> I found the opposite, as long as you clean the poles and store them separated to let them dry. Twist locks are mechanically  stronger against collapsing, lower profile,  and get jammed less in boulders ( I'm looking at you, Sneachda). Only downside I've found is occasionally harder to operate when seriously frozen after a wetting, but a bit of inner tube gives plenty of grip to fix it.  So far my Pacerpole twist locks have lasted 8 or 9 years summer and winter use. 

My problem with twist lock is that grit can get in and you can twist until tight but actually they're not fully closed.. With a lever lock, you know it's fully closed visually...

p.s I use loctite on the adjusting screws so they don't slip

timparkin 07 May 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

> A few people have said they don't like or use the straps. I'm the opposite really, but it does depend on the terrain. 

> If I'm smashing steep uphill then I'll generally be relying on the handle grip but for flat, moderately undulating or downhill I'm using mostly the straps. I got quite good with poles at one point and my grip on the handle was akin to how you hold a pencil or chopsticks. A flick of the wrist would swing it where I wanted it to go and I'd weight-bear straight through the strap. 

If I'm on a regular path where I can get a rhythm going then I'll sometimes use the straps. I stopped using them when I started going on less regular paths as it was easier to adjust length by slipping hand up and down and I could swap a pole to the other hand to leave a hand free for scrambling.

It's also easier to throw both poles (or one if you're using it) down the hill when you've got to scramble with both hands.. 

timparkin 07 May 2023

In terms of using poles, they really come into their own when you're carrying a heavy or top loaded pack as they give your stabilising muscles a rest. 

However, the opposite is true to some extent - I ended up using poles all of the time and one a very snowy walk in to sneachda to go winter climbing, I couldn't use them and ended up incredibly fatigued in my hip flexors and stabilising muscles. I think this was because they hadn't got any workout for a long time so had become weaker.

I now try not to use poles apart from on downhills (for knees) or uphills with a big pack when I'm trying to get a decent pace going... 

Basemetal 07 May 2023
In reply to timparkin:

> My problem with twist lock is that grit can get in and you can twist until tight but actually they're not fully closed..

Cheers, Tim. I've not had that happen, but I store my poles separated and even carry them that way in winter (so the bulky Pacerpole handle can go inside my pack) which does mean they get wiped clean every use. I do understand the appeal of flip locks and before getting twistlock Pacer Poles (they do a flip lock too now by popular demand) I had Leki Khumbu sticks and found their locks too prone to jamming in the scenery. I'm also very heavy on poles in winter walk-ins, having broken 3 or 4 before I got the PP (good alloy, strong locks).

loose overhang 09 May 2023
In reply to Mouflon:

But you shouldn't be taken by surprise, you have to see what's coming.  Poles or not.

Post edited at 04:12
 loose overhang 09 May 2023

I love walking poles.  I've been using sticks, then poles for around 40 years.  Everything depends on the anticipated terrain.   I'm now 70 and still climb, but mostly hike and scramble.  Hey kids, it's better to scramble than sport climb, you'll find out.

Rip van Winkle 09 May 2023
In reply to timparkin:

Now you've triggered my mad theory about using a single pole which is based on precisely one experience. I'll post it here just in case anyone else has had the same.

I usually use two poles or none. On the day in question for, well, reasons, I only used one. At a point in mid afternoon I stumbled and fell sideways. I got up and promptly fell over again. Basically, I couldn't stand, let alone walk, without collapsing. I didn't feel ill, I didn't faint, just lost all muscle control over my lower half. I ended up being helped off the hill with someone supporting almost all my weight. A couple of hours later after complete rest I was OK again. People I'd been with got a doc to examine me; she gave me complete OK.

The only reason I've been able to think might have caused this is that I'd been using the one pole one the same side, up and down hill, almost all the day. Had that sustained unbalanced movement and weight distribution affected my main muscle groups? Guess I'll never know. But since then on the few occasions I've used a single pole I've remembered to switch hands every ten or fifteen minutes.

Olaf Prot 09 May 2023

Just to add to the helpful advice above - you won't need them for walking down your local high street like some people I have seen

wercat 09 May 2023
In reply to Rip van Winkle:

I've never seen that happen to shepherds

Robert Durran 09 May 2023
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

> You won't go back. 

You might. I've tried them both singly and doubly because of my knackered knees. They just seem like a distraction from concentrating on using my feet and balance properly and I find myself just dragging or carrying them. Maybe I'm not any good at multi-tasking. A single pole on very steep descents was the only situation I found them any good. I'd use them when really toiling in deep snow or at altitude, but now I've taken to sometimes just carrying one for emergencies.

felt 10 May 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Suprised you being a contrarian. But me too. I find them a complete hassle, get in the way, a right pita. Why am I holding these stupid things in my hands? Where's the damned piste? 

Robert Durran 10 May 2023
In reply to felt:

I think the other factor with me is that I usually walk with my hands in my pockets. This makes using poles tricky. In fact I generally only take my hands out of my pockets when descending briskly but then there is not time to plant the poles anyway. Possibly worth having one for river crossings and maybe for probing deep bogs or snow covered boulders.

tehmarks 11 May 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Possibly worth having one for river crossings and maybe for probing deep bogs or snow covered boulders.

Or to erect your pole-dependent tent in an orthodox manner - pretty much the only reason I carry poles anywhere except on a very long, many many day walk with a heavy pack. Using them has never felt natural to me. Going steeply downhill on rocky ground, where they should theoretically be most useful, I find I just become paranoid about them slipping and me faceplanting and end up walking more awkwardly than if I didn't have them at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...