UKC

Bushcraft / hiking! Where in the world to go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bert 10 Oct 2017
Hi all,

I'm after some suggestions on where to spend 2 weeks camping, hiking between 24th March to 8th April 2018?

Typically want to spend some time in the wilderness, a chance to play with some bushcraft skills, perhaps with a goal of a long hike or scramble (I'm no stranger to the mountains although woodland is a better place to kip).

Considered the Appilachian Trail (Some of it anyway). More than happy to have a goal of over a 100 miles.

Where do you suggest?

2 of us so far, happy if others would like to join
 Dave the Rave 10 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert:

Is that when the hungry Grizzlies wake up in North America. Count me out
 benp1 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert:

I'd think about somewhere like Norway (or somewhere else in Scandinavia)

Amazing access and amazing views. Good for bushcraft and good for walking
OP Bert 11 Oct 2017
In reply to benp1:

Hi Ben

That was our only other possible thought at the minute, I'd have to do a bit more research on where to go as it's not somewhere I know much about
 Billhook 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert:

Go to somewhere like Fort Smith in the NWT (Canada), meet some Cree hunters and get one or more of them to take you out for a trip into the wilderness. They don't practice bushcraft, the hunters live it. http://davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/fort-smith-aboriginal-games.html
Slightly closer to home - but still in Canada - look up this gentlemen in Mattice. Ontario:- http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/46234-Ray-Mears-Meet-...
 TobyA 11 Oct 2017
In reply to benp1:

Definitely at that time of year in Finland much of the country will still have snow cover, which makes hiking tricky.

OP: what bushcraft skills do you intend to practice? Do you not take a tent with you? Or little food? Genuinely interested in what people call bushcraft.
In reply to Bert:

The Carpathian mountains in Romania have a special allure
 barney800 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert:

Southwest Tasmania could fit the bill.
 hairyRob 12 Oct 2017
In reply to barney800:

Possible fire bans in Tasmania in March if its been a dry summer.
 Billhook 12 Oct 2017
In reply to TobyA:
OP: what bushcraft skills do you intend to practice? Do you not take a tent with you? Or little food? Genuinely interested in what people call bushcraft.

Looking at Bushcraft.UK, it would seem that in the UK bushcraft consists of:-
a) Endless discussion on different knife grinds, collecting knives and the odd axe.
b) Night out in hammocks (not tents)
c) Making firesticks
d) Carving spoons and the odd bowl.
e) Foraging. (collecting brambles)
f) looking for places to wildcamp

Rob Parsons 12 Oct 2017
In reply to hairyRob:

> Possible fire bans in Tasmania in March if its been a dry summer.

Most of the South West is a 'Fuel Stove Only' area. Campfires are banned for good reasons - please don't light them.
Post edited at 21:27
 GDes 12 Oct 2017
New Zealand

pasbury 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert:

Epping Forest.
 Diddy 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert:

I have done 1000+ mile on the Appalachian trail; a very sociable trail, lots of trees and fire-pits. Probably need to do three weeks- 200 mile (?) to make it worth a long haul trip. Visit whiteblaze.net to get some information; ask for the best stretch to do for your time of year trip.
OP Bert 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert:

Thanks guys for all the advise. Lots to research.

Regarding my rough plan. My desicion on tarp, tent or hammock will be based on where we end up - at the very least a tarp, although I may play with some improvised bushcraft type shelters.

My bushcraft skills are still in the novice stage, that said I'm no stranger to the outdoors having climbed for many years, very prone to wondering into the hills on my own until it's pitch dark, then pitching my tent and re establishing where i am in the liggt of the next day.

The skills I will likely play with are foraging (although will take food with me), fire lighting (in a responsible manner and if the by laws permit), food preparation - good food, might as well enjoy it and perhaps some tracking .....depending on the size of the footprints ha ha

Ultimately I'm looking forward to a long hike off the beaten track
 wbo 14 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert: at that time of year the bits of Norway you're interested in will have a lot of snow - it should be very good for Xc skiing but thats maybe not what you want.

summo 14 Oct 2017
In reply to wbo:

Plus the fact that in most places in northern europe wild food will be minimal.
 artif 14 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert:

I would have thought that somewhere in Africa would be the choice at that time of year, minimal jet lag and proper bush to craft in
 Billhook 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Bert:

Just a couple of minor points:-

If you plan to forage, how will you know what is safe to eat? You may know what a blackberry is here, but if you went to, say Africa, New Zealand etc.,

Same for tracking too. Tracking (following animals) is much harder than most people think and does not only involve following footprints (or paw prints) You need to know an awful lot about the animal you are tracking. You can track animals in this country too if you know what to look for, but it is not always possible to track individual animals like you can in some environments. But how would you know what to look for in another country, especially outside Europe where the animals and the signs are unfamiliar?

As for "woodland being a better place to kip". I suppose its necessary if you like hanging about in a hammock, but if its been raining you are going to spend a long time after the rain stops, getting dripped on. And don't forget trees & branches fall off or over. Which is why the cree hunters I met in canada avoided camping in woods and used clearings or places with only small stuff that wouldn't cause damage or harm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...