UKC

Any botanists here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 15 Jun 2017
 Doug 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

not mossy saxifrage (looks very different) & seeing the photo with no other information I would have said wood anemone. Plants normally considered as woodland plants often occur elsewhere, especially if in the shade of rocks, etc and frequently quite high on British mountains.

http://www.tela-botanica.org/bdtfx-nn-4830-illustrations is French but has a selection of photos of wood anemone
 Pete Pozman 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I think it's wood anenome looking at the leaves. I'm not a botanist though so see what everyone else thinks.
Wulfrunian 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Not mossy saxifrage. Looks like wood anemone to me.
 Doug 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Out of interest I checked the altitude range for wood anemone at http://bsbi.org/altitudes

Anemone nemorosa 1190m Ben Lawers

(I think my 'record' would have been more like 950m when I worked on Ben Lawers but don't have my field notes to hand)

so, at least in Scotland, it grows at altitudes higher than Cloggy
 toad 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I'd go with wood anenome. The right microclimate and other environmental conditions and it'll be off, woodland or not. Plants cant read the field guides. I doubt it's an indicator of former ancient woodland, mind.
 waterbaby 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Another vote for wood anenome.
 Billhook 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Wood Anemone.

Yes the do grow in woods, but they'll also grow in un-grazed ground in the same way as bluebells normally grow in woods but will also grow in other places provided they don't get trampled or eaten.
OP Sean Kelly 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Wood Anemone it is then. The best clue for me was the leaves of the plant. Thanks for all the advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...