UKC

Fury Vs Wilder (3)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 10 Oct 2021

Just watched the extended gighlights....brutal stuff but really pleased Fury knocked out Wilder....

Fury looked off form compared to the 2nd fight but used his size and weight well....Wilder a sour lower again...

MNA123 10 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Great fight. Fury worried me in the early rounds as looked sluggish and was backing up too much for my liking.

He came strong later on though and got the win. Wilder was always dangerous though, even when he looked done he got some good shots in.

Clauso 10 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I stayed awake to watch it live. Wilder started brightly, but Fury fought a great fight and put the big dosser firmly in his place once and for all.

... AJ is probably thanking his lucky stars that his meeting with Morecambe's finest never materialised. 

Matt Podd 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Clauso:

Boxing? A sport? Where are we people?

Sir Chasm 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Matt Podd:

> Boxing? A sport? Where are we people?

It's terrible isn't it? Grown-ups willingly participating in activities that might hurt them, who'd a thought it? 

Matt Podd 10 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

One person participating in a sport that may hurt them - OK.  Two people participating in sport to try and hurt the other person. Not for me.

NaCl 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Matt Podd:

Just a thought - maybe don't watch it then?

Two people doing something they love, accepting that there's the possibility that they will get hurt but will earn a truckload of cash. They're big boys and can make decisions for themselves. Haven't seen the fight yet but as soon as I have time will do so.

Clauso 10 Oct 2021
In reply to NaCl:

> Just a thought - maybe don't watch it then?

Yeah. That.

... I wonder where the respondent stands on the spectacle of a peloton of cyclists barrelling down alpine descents at daft speeds? 

Enty 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Matt Podd:

U OK Hun?

E

toad 10 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Considering how (belatedly) hard we are working to reduce brain injury in football and rugby, and the awful decline we are seeing in senior athletes in these sports, boxing is.... Well, it's not really something we should be encouraging, is it?

Clauso 10 Oct 2021
In reply to toad:

It's human nature. Some c@nt is always going to relish the chance of battering another c@nt? 

... You'll never stop that.

Might as well ensure that the c@nts at least get paid well and that the rest of us c@nts get to shout at the TV?

Besides, Great British Strictly Come Bake Off just doesn't quite do it for me as a substitute.

Bottom Clinger 10 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Listened to his interview on bbc five live last week with Steve Bunce and thought it was one of the best sports interviews ever. I used to loathe boxing for the violence and then about ten years ago went ‘f*ck it’, their choice, and the benefits from youngsters doing boxing can be huuuuuuge......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09xtn73

Post edited at 22:15
 Bottom Clinger 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Matt Podd:

> Two people participating in sport to try and hurt the other person. Not for me.

Sounds like me and my mates playing conkers back in the day!   

Post edited at 22:24
 Tom Valentine 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Clauso:

Cyclists don't go out to cause brain damage to their competitors whereas boxers do. You can dress it up how you want but concussion is what people pay to see . If that wasn't the case, blows to the head would be outlawed and the result would be decided on points, like in fencing .

And don't bother telling me about the consent bollocks. I can consent to do a lot of things and have a lot of things done to me but I shouldn't be able to consent to having someone cause my death by pummelling me till my brain bleeds. If I can't consent to my wife giving me an overdose to ease my passing out of a world of pain and misery, why should I be able to consent to dying at someone else's hands in the name of sport and entertainment?

As far as I'm aware the BMA and the WHO refuse to support boxing in its present form. If bodies such as these take a stance on harmful activities like smoking most of us probably see the sense in their policies but as far as boxing is concerned society seems to regard them as a bunch of do-gooders.

If I have a difference of opinion with someone in the pub and we decide to go out and settle things in the car park we are both consenting to the violence, but if one of us dies as a consequence then the other will most probably face prosecution, consent or not. I don't see how the presence of  an intermediary, some ropes and a paying audience changes the principle.

Post edited at 00:56
 Withnails 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

But it's their decision and not yours. You don't really have a say in the matter.

The difference between boxing and a pub fight is that you don't know that you're going to get in a fight when you decide to go for a pint.  These two have known for months that this is going to happen and will be well educated in the risks. 

In reply to everyone:

Hi All,

Might I suggest those wishing to discuss the rights and wrongs of boxing create a new thread, rather than hijack this one.

There are some valid points being made, but  it’s disrespectful to the OP - and to others who want to discuss the match - so please, if you wish to continue then do so in another thread.

Rob

In reply to abr1966:

I won 25 quid ! 

AP

Andy Gamisou 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Withnails:

> The difference between boxing and a pub fight is that you don't know that you're going to get in a fight when you decide to go for a pint.  

Depends on the pub.  Get yersel doon the Bigg market en a Friday neet and see how yer get oon (bonny lad).

Sean Kelly 11 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Many wrongly attribute Hemmingway to the quote "There are only 3 sports, motor racing, mountaineering & bull-fighting, the rest are merely games!"

I think by that logic perhaps boxing should be added to that list, especially after witnessing that savage encounter between Fury & Wilder.

Rob Parsons 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Many wrongly attribute Hemmingway to the quote "There are only 3 sports, motor racing, mountaineering & bull-fighting, the rest are merely games!"

What's the correct attribution?

Derry 11 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Brutal stuff is right. Only watched the highlights too but that was some encounter! It was never going to be straightforward with Tyson having a disjointed build-up, and Wilder being more focused. With 3 fights, it was quite likely that he was going to land another big shot eventually like in the first meeting. 

Happy that Fury got the full KO though, not a towel thrown in like last time. No excuses! But in saying that, these two guys have the best chins in the business - How did Wilder stay up til the 11th, and how did Fury carry on after the 4th? Quite amazing. 

OP abr1966 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Derry:

Big shots all round!!

Tyson is a good boxer for such a big weight...his footwork is really good, he slips a lot of punches and is exceptional on the inside....Wilder tried to jab a lot in the first couple of rounds but I think he made the mistake of coming in too heavy and looked really heavy in the legs. I could see why he would as Tyson was always going to lean on him and use the weight....277lbs and 6ft 9 frame leaning and pressing down on you must be very tiring!! 

Wilder only has that big right cross but not much else and although he landed it a few timesostly he couldn't use it because of Tysons clever footwork and ring craft....a great example of how to outwit and outsmart your opponent aswel as the physical aspects....

Fury is very good....at a couple of stone lighter he is excellent....

Derry 11 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

And not a bad vocalist either!

Pedro50 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> What's the correct attribution?

Hemingway

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> Hi All,

> Might I suggest those wishing to discuss the rights and wrongs of boxing create a new thread, rather than hijack this one.

> There are some valid points being made, but  it’s disrespectful to the OP - and to others who want to discuss the match - so please, if you wish to continue then do so in another thread.

> Rob

Not sure I agree with that principle. If someone wants to discuss the pleasurable aspects of an activity that is abhorrent to some others (beauty pageants, favourite cigarettes, the joys of fox hunting), they should not post their opinion?

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Not sure I agree with that principle. If someone wants to discuss the pleasurable aspects of an activity that is abhorrent to some others (beauty pageants, favourite cigarettes, the joys of fox hunting), they should not post their opinion?

There's a fine line in between posting your opinion and hijacking a thread. In this case I felt it leaned towards the latter. This isn't to say that their opinions weren't valid, because they were, as some great points were being made; however, the best place to fully explore these fully was within a separate thread.

Derry 11 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

What I'd like to see now is Wilder vs Joshua (regardless of whether AJ wins his rematch or not). Because at the moment he would get absolutely knocked spark out by Fury. A couple of weeks ago I would have said it was a much more even match-up (TF vs AJ), but seeing the two performances, there is a huge gap in ability and power. 

In reply to Derry:

Boxer vs bodybuilder.

It would be over in a few rounds.

Robert Durran 11 Oct 2021
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Not sure I agree with that principle. 

Nor me. One of the wonderful things about UKC is the way threads can bifurcate with tangents going off in interesting directions. I think it would be a shame if it became the norm for this to be policed.  

Derry 11 Oct 2021
In reply to VSisjustascramble:

Who? Wilder vs AJ or Fury vs AJ. The latter yes, boxer against bodybuilder - which is why I think AJ vs Wilder would be a better spectacle than just seeing a pasting.

mike123 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> Listened to his interview on bbc five live last week with Steve Bunce and thought it was one of the best sports interviews ever. I used to loathe boxing for the violence and then about ten years ago went ‘f*ck it’, their choice, and the benefits from youngsters doing boxing can be huuuuuuge......

I have no interest in boxing but did listen to this interview  and thought he came across well . “Why do you still box when you don’t need the money ? “ his reply is essentially that  nothing else is the same as preparing to go in The ring with somebody who is going to try to batter you . in a small way I empathise with this at it  made me think of on sight trad climbing hard ( for me)  routes . I don’t really do hard ( for me ) trad  anymore but I haven’t found anything that does it for me quiet the same .  Often the best bit being in the car on the  long drive there knowing your going to try to do some thing that could badly hurt you or worse . And then sitting in the car on the drive back having done it . The bit in the middle often not really being “fun” . 

Robert Durran 11 Oct 2021
In reply to mike123:

> I have no interest in boxing but did listen to this interview  and thought he came across well . “Why do you still box when you don’t need the money ? “ his reply is essentially that  nothing else is the same as preparing to go in The ring with somebody who is going to try to batter you . in a small way I empathise with this at it  made me think of on sight trad climbing hard ( for me)  routes . I don’t really do hard ( for me ) trad  anymore but I haven’t found anything that does it for me quiet the same .  Often the best bit being in the car on the  long drive there knowing your going to try to do some thing that could badly hurt you or worse . And then sitting in the car on the drive back having done it . The bit in the middle often not really being “fun”. 

Stop hijacking the thread with stuff about climbing. Start your own thread for heaven's sake!

Justaname 11 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

How would muffin tops Fury fare against a UFC fighter like Conor McGregor? I know there's a vast size difference, but the speed and agility of the UFC fighter must give him some adavtnages? I guess for Fury it would be like death from a thousand cuts, whereas one well landed punch from Fury would end the fight quite decisively.

In reply to Justaname:

Well McGregor fought Mayweather and lost.

And I doubt Mayweather’s trainer would let him in a ring against Fury - even for a quick sparring round.

McGregor vs Fury would be like watching a 6 year old girl fight a grown man (I imagine the PvP sales would be pretty decent mind).

In reply to Derry:

> Who? Wilder vs AJ or Fury vs AJ. The latter yes, boxer against bodybuilder - which is why I think AJ vs Wilder would be a better spectacle than just seeing a pasting.

Either. AJ doesn’t have the same power as Wilder and he lacks both the skill and power of Fury.

Fury has come on such a long way from his first professional fights. The early one where he hits himself in the face with an uppercut is still a comedy classic.

Derry 11 Oct 2021
In reply to VSisjustascramble:

haha. Yeah I googled that again this morning. 

mondite 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Justaname:

> How would muffin tops Fury fare against a UFC fighter like Conor McGregor? I know there's a vast size difference, but the speed and agility of the UFC fighter must give him some adavtnages?

Assuming you are talking under boxing rules then nope. There is a reason why pretty much every full contact competition has weight categories.  Its both unfair and dangerous to the person who is about half the weight.

Sean Kelly 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

A Spanish aristocrat who was a motor racing fanatic, also did bobsleigh in the olympics, and rode twice in the Grand National. I've got the details in a document I  wrote some time ago which I would need to find.

Yes, in his book, Climbing in  North America, published in 1976, page 279, Chris Jones names Alphonse de Portago as the original source of the famous quote, falsely attributed to Hemmingway. And it was 'recreation' not 'games'.

Post edited at 22:21
 Tom Valentine 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Sounds like a bit of a lad, Portago:  flies a plane under Tower Bridge for a bet aged 17; and bows out driving the Mille Miglia, pulling over to the side to stop and kiss Tyrone Power's wife then dying in a ball of flame a few minutes later (unfortunately taking a few spectators with him)

Sean Kelly 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Aye, certainly a worthy subject for a film docu-drama!

Yanis Nayu 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

If you’re going to intervene on all hijacked threads you’re going to keep busy! At least it hasn’t turned into a Scottish independence thread!

Rob Parsons 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> A Spanish aristocrat who was a motor racing fanatic, also did bobsleigh in the olympics, and rode twice in the Grand National. I've got the details in a document I  wrote some time ago which I would need to find.

> Yes, in his book, Climbing in  North America, published in 1976, page 279, Chris Jones names Alphonse de Portago as the original source of the famous quote, falsely attributed to Hemmingway. And it was 'recreation' not 'games'.

Well, perhaps it wasn't Alphonse de Portago either. See e.g. https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/auto_racing_bullfi...

Pete Pozman 12 Oct 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I don't like the guy but, there's no doubt about it, he can fight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...