UKC

Most appropriate acronym ever…?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I nearly spat my coffee over the ipad….

Former Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre is yet again in the running to head up media regulator Ofcom, having earlier this year been firmly judged by the interview panel as “not appointable”. What a mania for sympathetic placemen this government does have. Surely there should be some kind of body charged with overseeing “new broom” appointments such as Dacre’s? Call it the Office of Coming Under New Tutelage (Ofcunt).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/16/boris-johnson-new-job...

Thank goodness for Marina Hyde- the only commentator who reliably nails the absurdity, venality and brazen contempt for due process that characterises the Johnson administration.

Post edited at 22:30
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

OFCUNT just about sums it up.

The so called independent member interviewing candidates for the Scottish representative on the BBC Board is an English Tory donor who gave them 50K and was a Conservative parliamentary candidate.  She also interviewed some other positions on the board. The whole thing is a joke.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-donor-catherine-baxendale-on-panel-...

Tyler 16 Nov 2021

> Thank goodness for Marina Hyde- the only commentator who reliably nails the absurdity, venality and brazen contempt for due process that characterises the Johnson administration.

I think Tom Peck in the Independent does at least as good a job

In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> The whole thing is a joke.

If only...

Mark Bannan 17 Nov 2021

> Thank goodness for Marina Hyde- the only commentator who reliably nails the absurdity, venality and brazen contempt for due process that characterises the Johnson administration.

She's not the only one - Jonathan Pie also does a superb job in this regard.

deepsoup 17 Nov 2021
In reply to Tyler:

John Crace too.

The most appropriate real world acronym was surely 'Mutuably Assured Destruction' 

Michael Hood 17 Nov 2021
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

I going to be pedantic here for which I humbly apologize, but it was "Mutual".

But I agree with you about the appropriateness of MAD 

Post edited at 08:16
 wercat 17 Nov 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

we thought MAD very appropriate - we even had the Director of the MAD, but in our case it was Military Aircraft Div

Re OFCOM, a crazy mixed up organisation that doesn't do its job anyway as it is such a mix of responsibilities.  It certainly isn't fit to have taken over the technical functions of the Radiocommunications Agency in protecting spectrum and this man is certainly another brick in the one party system being built

Post edited at 08:23
 LastBoyScout 17 Nov 2021

What about Red Dwarf - the Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying ORganisms Into Society...

ThunderCat 17 Nov 2021

We had a reorg at work several years ago with several new job roles created. The look on the face of the woman when she realised she had successfully been appointed as Sales Leads And Governance.

True story that. 

EddInaBox 17 Nov 2021

There is an organisation I have occasional dealings with whose Directors decided to have a 'Senior Management Group'.  Informally the employees used the obvious word to refer to it so the Directors soon changed it...

... to 'Senior Leadership Team'.

wintertree 17 Nov 2021

ACRONYM: A Contrived Reduction Of Nouns Yielding Mnemonics

petemeads 17 Nov 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Which leads to TLA - Three Letter Acronym, of course...

Rick51 17 Nov 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> What about Red Dwarf - the Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying ORganisms Into Society...

I can't find what you mean there ...

In reply to Michael Hood:

Am blaming that on typing on a smartphone with 54 year old eyes 😁

In reply to Tyler:

Had a look, Peck’s stuff is ok, more in the vein of John Crace, who I do like; but they both lack the edge of real venom that Hyde has. The Independent’s website is nearly unreadable though, I just can’t do with the level of adverts cut through the text. 

In reply to Mark Bannan:

> ...

> She's not the only one - Jonathan Pie also does a superb job in this regard.

Yes, agreed. Pie is fantastic.

mbh 18 Nov 2021

In the 70s there was an anti-nuclear group in Bath called BANG.

65 18 Nov 2021
In reply to mbh:

I always liked the utterly fictional South Humberside Institute of Technical Education and the City University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

In reply to mbh:

Research projects often have inventive (and frequently painfully forced or obscure…) acronyms- I think the investigators from the “Radboud University Nijmegen Diffusion tensor and Magnetic resonance imaging Cohort” study must have been fans of Old Skool Hip Hop, as they called it the RUN-DMC study… 😄

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/50225251_Causes_and_consequences_o...

mbh 18 Nov 2021
In reply to 65:

My employer briefly proposed a name for which the acronym would have been CRAP.

BANG existed. I went to one of its meetings. Might have been early eighties.

Timmd 18 Nov 2021
In reply to wercat:

An aeronautics engineer my Dad worked with once grumbled 'It's fine designing the aircraft, it's people who are the problem', it might have been related to the service lives needing recalibrating when it was decided that RAF Phantoms would be fitted with Rolls Royce engines, which put different stresses on the airframes to the American engines. 

Post edited at 17:49
 RobAJones 18 Nov 2021
In reply to 65:

> I always liked the utterly fictional South Humberside Institute of Technical Education and the City University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

Are you telling me the Mail isn't a reliable source of information?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449361/Newcastle-University-brand...

Around that time a colleague wanted all staff to start every lesson with "Today We Aspire To" As many would predict he is now a headteacher. 

Post edited at 19:58
 Nic Barber 19 Nov 2021
In reply to 65:

Sheffield University Maths Society does what it says on the tin.

I recall orienteers at Coventry university deciding to brand as Coventry University Navigation Team.

Sean Kelly 20 Nov 2021

"Boiled piss!" I like Marina's description of Dacre, but it could have been far worse.

Post edited at 16:59
 Dave A Allen 21 Nov 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I have a friend called Jenna who worked in a large store where your name badge also said what department you worked in, she was on tills....

bouldery bits 21 Nov 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

> Around that time a colleague wanted all staff to start every lesson with "Today We Aspire To" As many would predict he is now a headteacher. 

I wonder how long I can get away with replacing all my LO's and WALTs with this? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...