UKC

Painting copper heating pipes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 04 Jan 2023

Just had a couple of rads fitted and want to make the pipework blend in better as it's currently shiny copper.  Is it simply a case of keying them up a bit and using white Hammerite, or is that likely to end in tears?  Boxing them in isn't an option.

PaulJepson 04 Jan 2023
In reply to Toerag:

I wouldn't recommend painting heating pipes. It will look crap, you'll have to re-do it and it'll only get messier as you go.

Have a look at Talon Snappits. I put some grey ones in my bathroom to match the anthracite towel rail and am pleased. Cost about a tenner, easy to size with a junior hacksaw, look fine. 

montyjohn 04 Jan 2023
In reply to Toerag:

Main are painted using the same eggshell paint used on the skirting boards and have been like that for 10 years and look fine.

Sure there are better oil based paints you can use, primers etc, specifically for metals but is it really worth it?

Neil Williams 04 Jan 2023
In reply to Toerag:

I've just painted mine with the same water based emulsion as the walls, didn't have to do anything specific to prepare them, it sticks pretty well.

Post edited at 15:07
 jimtitt 04 Jan 2023
In reply to Toerag:

The rest of the world just paints them with whatever is on the walls or skirting as appropriate.

Iamgregp 04 Jan 2023
In reply to Toerag:

We've got surface mounted pipes running around all over our house, up the walls etc, couldn't box them in so decided to have a laugh and make a feature of them so they're all painted bright colours using ordinary ordinary metal paint.  Looks brilliant against the white walls.

montyjohn 04 Jan 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> couldn't box them in so decided to have a laugh and make a feature of them

I wish onshore windmills had green painted columns and yellow painted blades. I think Britain would be a happier place for it.

Ciro 04 Jan 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

> I wish onshore windmills had green painted columns and yellow painted blades. I think Britain would be a happier place for it.

Ambitious guerrilla knitting project?

Hooo 04 Jan 2023
In reply to Toerag:

Just don't use regular white gloss paint, cos the heat makes it go yellow really quickly. You can however get heat-resistant gloss and paint it over your now yellow pipes and it still works OK. 

pec 04 Jan 2023
In reply to Toerag:

Perhaps use white radiator enamel as it's specifically designed to be painted onto warm metal?

oldie 04 Jan 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Have a look at Talon Snappits. I put some grey ones in my bathroom to match the anthracite towel rail and am pleased. Cost about a tenner, easy to size with a junior hacksaw, look fine. 

I've used similar from Poundstore, only in white though. 

Neil Williams 04 Jan 2023
In reply to Hooo:

> Just don't use regular white gloss paint, cos the heat makes it go yellow really quickly. You can however get heat-resistant gloss and paint it over your now yellow pipes and it still works OK. 

Just use water based emulsion (or water based gloss if you want a gloss finish without yellowing).  It's a bit counterintuitive that it does, but it sticks just fine.  If you have trouble with what you're using undercoat it first then it definitely will.

Post edited at 18:53
 CantClimbTom 04 Jan 2023
In reply to oldie:

Or Screwfix.... 

OP Toerag 05 Jan 2023
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks all, looks like as long as I avoid yellowing I can do whatever I want

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...