UKC

Routes that take longer than expected

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kalna_kaza 15 Dec 2020

We've all been there, plan a quick day out on the hill or crag only for it to take much longer than expected.

This guy thought it would take 40 minutes but took 4.5 hours from the Isle of Whithorn to the Isle of Man on a jet ski, followed by a 15 mile walk. Good effort (apart from breaking covid rules). https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/man-who-rode-jetski-from-scot...

One holiday with Mrs Kalna had a planned 5-6 hour walk to the next village (it was a walking holiday) but resulted in a 13 hour epic with a dog attack, a blizzard and eventually some friendly border guards.

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Table du roc ridge on aiguille du tour, years ago. 4 hour guidebook time. We got lost on route to the ridge and climbed horrifying rubble for an age. Then my mate who'd not been to the alps before had a wobbly on the ridge. Took 12 hours not including the walk down to the valley after missing the last chair lift. Good laugh though and the beers after tasted mighty fine. 

a crap climber 15 Dec 2020
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

Funnily enough I had an almost identical experience on that route, right down to the mate who'd not been to the alps before. I don't recall him throwing a wobbly though. We did kinda wonder afterwards if the horrifying rubble was in fact the route. We certainly weren't the only people who had gone that way, as evidenced by various bits ab tat left by those who'd had the sense to bail. This included one memorable piece round a rock about the size of an old crt tv perched on a small ledge, makes me shudder just thinking about it. 

alan moore 15 Dec 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

How about The Chasm.

Roadside dawdle up a low grade gully.

Route description that makes it sound like half a dozen pitches when, in fact there are twenty odd. Did it one Easter, setting off early and finishing at dusk.

RX-78 15 Dec 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

The first time we went hiking in the alps where both kids were walking rather than being carried, had to readjust our expectations of all future family hikes downwards distance wise.

In reply to a crap climber:

Ah, not just us then! The old old gear we found was a rusty time of something or other. I was enough to convince me we weren't going to die

Chopper 15 Dec 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> This guy thought it would take 40 minutes but took 4.5 hours from the Isle of Whithorn to the Isle of Man on a jet ski, followed by a 15 mile walk. Good effort (apart from breaking covid rules). https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/man-who-rode-jetski-from-scot...

What sort of fuel performance do these things have?

gimmergimmer 18 Dec 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Went up the Meiji Promontoire ridge to the Grande Pic.Supposed to summit at 12.00 to do the  next part of the Arete. Got to  top of Meije summit (Grandr Pic,) at 16.00. Decided to go straight down instead of continuing to the arete. Half way down bivied as getting dark.  Next day at 5.00 am got up. Said good morning to middle aged fellow anf his younger companion goin up. (We were young in those days,)We set off down. Middle aged fellow  got to the summit and overtook us on way down. I blamed it on using ropes too much 

Post edited at 16:48
 MG 18 Dec 2020
In reply to alan moore:

> How about The Chasm.

> Roadside dawdle up a low grade gully.

> Route description that makes it sound like half a dozen pitches when, in fact there are twenty odd. Did it one Easter, setting off early and finishing at dusk.

This all sounds  very familiar.  We finished at midnight. Getting.out of the top in the dark was "interesting "

petegunn 18 Dec 2020
In reply to Chopper:

google says 75 - 150 miles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...