UKC

What's it like living in Cumbria?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
El-Mariachi 09 Aug 2011

Moving to Cumbria next week, Just wondering, how is it up there?

Plenty to do? and most important, do they like the Welsh!!?

Fawksey 2 09 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: East or West?
 Spongey 09 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: Moved to the north Lakes a year ago from Bradford and have to say its excellent. We are in a village behind Skidaw, 15-20min from shepherds and walking distance from some smaller crags. We have some amazing local walks and feel really lucky. Downside is we are renting at the moment, looking at buying but house prices are expensive.

Dave
 petegunn 09 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: Its very pleasant, although you have to put up with the many tourists and of course the rain!
Bingers 09 Aug 2011
In reply to The Outlaw Josey Wales:

Can I just ask, why does it matter if he is from east or west Wales? I have heard of north Wales not always getting on with south Wales, but why would a Cumbrian descriminate between east and west?
Fawksey 2 09 Aug 2011
In reply to Bingers: shouldnt you be listening to the football? I meant east or west Cumbria. Big difference.
Etak 09 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: It's brilliant but don't go telling every one

Tho big difference in east or west Cumbria.....
In reply to El-Mariachi:

There's nowt round 'ere for folks like you!

This is a local shop for local people.

;~))
El-Mariachi 09 Aug 2011

Not sure? cant get my bearings!

Its a little village called Orton?
Fawksey 2 09 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: Orton just north of Tebay?
El-Mariachi 09 Aug 2011

Penrith, as much as I know!
Fawksey 2 09 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: you can fish some nice reaches of the upper Eden
Removed User 09 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: Orton's a big village round those parts!

The Eden Valley is awesome if a bit 'local'.

Appleby or the cavemen from Kirkby Stephen for a night out. Either way take a deep breath... Last time in Appleby I struggled to find a decent pint anywhere, definitely going down hill.

Climbing in the Eden Valley is limited, your looking at 30 mins from Orton for limestone: King's Meaburn, Windmore End, Murton Crag etc. Access to the Lakes is OK in the sense you are close to the Motorway. Nearest crag is Gouther probably in about 30 mins, anything else is an hour or so.

Tebay/Orton can be a little bit bleak in the winter months.
 Simmy 09 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: Its ace ive always lived in penrith eden has its little gem crags and orton gives you 40mins to giglswick for sport climbing and as hardy says gouther would be your closest crag.

Give me a nudge if you want to get out.
 Lankyman 10 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: Orton has a chocolate factory. And there are some nice limestone pavements up on the hill.
meekster 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Karl Lunt: Orton is lovely, hope you enjoy iving there. Living in Cumbria is brill I love it and if you live a bit out of the touristy areas its even better and you don't have to put up with them! Its raining here today but that doesn't matter as it only makes the area look even more special....off out for a run in a bit
 3leggeddog 10 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi:

There are a few Ortons in Cumbria. Living here is paradise, lots climbing, cycling, paddling, etc etc. Just don't expect loads of nightlife. If your village is lucky enough to have a pub, support it, lots are closing.
El-Mariachi 10 Aug 2011
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Orton Village in Penrith I believe, pretty near to Keswick?

Really looking forward to it now, little anxious at first, a big move for me but im hoping the change will do me good.

Looking forward to a mecca of outdoor living! just hoping I can transfer my job to Keswick
 Justin Tracey 10 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: l moved up from Wales 12 years ago! an the Cumbrians have let me stay. I live in Sunny Shap! Eastern fells are on the door step. Cumbria is a great place to be based. Scotland, Peaks and North wales are are available for weekend hits. Good Luck with the Move.
Removed User 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Justin Tracey:

I never thought I'd ever here anyone but a Shapite bigging up Shap! Even villagers 3 miles away think the good folk of Shap are a bit odd...
 Kelcat 10 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi:
I live in Orton, Penrith - & its a great village, pubs a bit poor - but there are great others nearby. Theres climbing within 20 mins if you search it out & you're v near Haweswater for winter fun. We've got the best ice climbing 'wall' around at Tebay most winters. About to go into the Dales National Park. Superb running on door step - the limestone pavement is one of the biggest in Europe. Drop me a line if you'd like to get out / know more.
 Kelcat 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Kelcat:
& yes the good folk of Shap are very odd....
 Harry Ellis 10 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: What do you call a place that's halfway between sh1t and crap? ;p
only kidding i'm sure it's lovely
El-Mariachi 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Kelcat:

Thanks Kel, I will do, Im up on monday, so will settle in for a week or two then out to venture the place, ill drop you an email

cheers, much appreciated.

L
G Graham 11 Aug 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi:
I too live near Orton. It's good for cycling (road riding and ok for mountain biking) and climbing though obviously it's a drive to any notable crags. If you're looking for a (very) quiet life, then Orton is a good place to live. The pub is improving but has been dire over the last couple of years. There's a market the first Sat of each month which is OK. It's good if you work in Lancaster, Kendal, Penrith etc as accesss to the M6 is very quick.
Hope this helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...