UKC

Search bar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike reed 17 Jan 2023

Im still finding the crag/route search bar extremely infuriating.

Why was this ever changed?
It worked really well before. Now, I pop in the crag I want and hundreds of other suggestions come up and often, not one of them is the crag I want. Am I doing something wrong? It used to be super simple. 
Mike. 

In reply to mike reed:

Hi Mike. Can you give me a link to the page you're using the searchbar on, and some examples of queries you're entering, with an idea of what you're expecting back for each?

remus Global Crag Moderator 17 Jan 2023
In reply to mike reed:

Personally Im a big fan of the new search, particularly when you want to do anything more complicated than searching for a route by name. The grade filters etc. are a mega. 

In reply to Stephen Horne - Rockfax:

I’m having problems on my iPad as I don’t have a search bar at all above my logbook! Any suggestions to rectify it?

In reply to Christheclimber:

Can you send us a screenshot Chris?

Do you see it on any other pages? eg:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/latest_ascents.php

Not sure how to send you a screen shot? This is an iCloud shared link. I can’t see the search bar on the link you sent.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e5NOBD0isaSMW49UykNJCXyg

Thanks Chris we'll look into it. I'll have to find an iPad so it won't be tonight. 

Just to make sure it's not some strange caching issue, can you delete all website data for ukc?

settings app:

search for safari

advanced 

website data

search for ukclimbing 

swipe right to delete

It’s available on my iPhone!!!

Ha. Well that's something I guess. 

Flavio 17 Jan 2023

Hey Fatboy! I get similar issues too. Often when you enter the exact route name you want, it doesn't come up in the first 100 results. You can force it to the top by using a workaround search like "name + grade" or "crag + grade" or "route + crag". Some examples:

Search "Stone Bastion" and the route doesn't appear in the top 100 results, but search "Shelterstone E4" and it's the first result. Same with "Steeple" and "Haystack", no results at first but appear after you add their respective grades in the search, or crag. Somehow not an issue with "The Spire" at the same crag.

Search "London Wall" and it doesn't appear on the first 100 results. Search "London Wall E5" or "Millstone E5" or "Millstone London" and it's at the top.

OP mike reed 18 Jan 2023

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/showlog.php?id=17707

Most of the time I’m looking for a certain crag. Currently the Leonidio crags are the headache, but he way they are organised (or not) may be the cause. 
Thanks. 

In reply to Flavio:

Hey Flavio! Thanks for the examples. I was a bit confused by this thread at first, but I've just realised I must have failed to release a fix I did for this months ago. 

I'll tease it out of the development branch later today and do a release. This release will also fix the issue of Scottish grades X and V never being recognised. 

probablylost 18 Jan 2023
In reply to Flavio:

Have you tried prefixing your search with a quotation mark? I think it defaults to stone OR bastion

Flavio 18 Jan 2023
In reply to probablylost:

Doesn't always fix it and is inconsistent. Putting quotes on "Stone Bastion" or "London Wall" returns the expected result, but not on the one worded route names, at least in my examples.

"Steeple" in quotes returns just the winter route, "Steeple E2" returns nothing but "Steeple" E2 the route expected.

"Haystack" in quotes returns 3 other haystacks, none of which are the well known Scottish classic. "Haystack E3" returns nothing but "Haystack" E3 the route expected.

In reply to Flavio:

Right these fixes have now been released. Let me know if you encounter any unexpected behaviour.

Chris have you had any more luck on your ipad? I don't have access to one, but I've had a colleague check on his and it was fine, which isn't very helpful for me to debug the issue.

Hi Stephen, no luck but the search bar works fine if I log on my wife’s new iPad. My iPad is seven years old and is on an older  iPad OS software number, so I’m wondering if that’s the problem?

Chris

Ah, that may be it now I think it through. Could you tell me what version of iOS you have?

Steve Woollard 19 Jan 2023

Try looking for 'Sol'

It's a route on the Culm Coast

iOS 12.5.6 whereas the new iPad is 16.2

Flavio 19 Jan 2023

All works as expected now, thanks, looks great too!

In reply to Steve Woollard:

Ah yeah. The broadness of that search is making so many crags get returned it's breaking it. I'll have a think about how to fix that. Thanks for the report

That means it's something other than what I suspected. I'll see if I can figure it out and report back.

> That means it's something other than what I suspected. I'll see if I can figure it out and report back.

Cheers for that Stephen

OP mike reed 19 Jan 2023
In reply to mike reed:

Seems to be working much better now thanks. The top hits yesterday and today have both been exactly what I was after. 

Steve Woollard 20 Mar 2023

Hi Stephen, there still seem to be problems with the search facility, it doesn't fine "Honeycomb Buttress" on Agouti

In reply to Steve Woollard:

Hi Steve, thank you for the report. There's a couple of extra fixes in the pipeline which will address this (just tested it in the development build and the one you mention is the top result). It will be released this week.

SDM 20 Mar 2023

Hi Stephen. Is there anything you can do to promote popular crags higher up in the results? 

If I type in "raven",  Raven Tor (Miller's Dale) is 11th on the list, below such entries as Smugglers Terrace Raven's Crag, Gairloch Raven's Foot Buttress Raven's Tor, Lustleigh Cleave Swarthbeck Gill (Ravens Crag Boulders) and Val Travenanzes among others.

Similarly, if I search for "Black", I would get rsi with the amount of scrolling needed to get to fairly popular crags like  Blackwell Daleand  Black Rocks, having scrolled past numerous esoteric crags that most of us have never heard of, and a lot of crags where the link to "black" isn't immediately obvious (presumably they have a route or buttress with black in the name but this shouldn't take precedence over black in the crag name) . Bizarrely, I actually had to scroll down further to find  Raven Tor (Miller's Dale) when searching for "raven" than when searching for "black".

I get this on Brave (chromium) and Firefox, on Android and Windows.

Edit: to take the raven tor example further: when searching for "raven tor",  Raven Tor (Miller's Dale) is the 4th result down, behind  Raven's Tor, Lustleigh Cleave Raven Tor (Coppermines) and  Raven Tor (Fallinge Edge)

Post edited at 21:22
In reply to SDM:

Yeah this is already what happens for the route search, so I'll add it to the crag search too.

Note that Blackwell Dale is less popular than enough other crags with 'black' in the name that it still won't be visible without scrolling.

A couple of screenshots attached showing what 'raven' and 'black' searches will look like.

hms 21 Mar 2023

The search doesn't seem to work at all when one's looking for a route which has a repeated word. So there's a climb at one of the Malaga crags called Bee Bee, or one at Sirhowey called Mawr Mawr Mawr, and the search just isn't finding them.  

Steve Woollard 02 Apr 2023

The search facility still doesn't work, why don't you keep crags and routes as separate search fields.

It still can't find the climb honeycomb or sol

SDM 02 Apr 2023

Thanks, that's much better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...