UKC

Alderley Edge Crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krank 02 Aug 2007
I have just been looking through some old post and noticed that there is one for "Crag of the Week" and it was Alderley Edge. This is strange to me, i have been there a few times cos its a nice wood to walk round, but have never seen anything which i thought was great. I have found a few boulder probs here and there and maybe 1 route which needed a good clean but that was it. Am i missing a massive wall/quarried area? any info would be sweet as i love to climb in the woods. It says there is an area near the fenced of mine, i know where the fenced off mine is and the only climbing there is some boulder problems down to the right near a big open cave. If anyone has the knowledge please let me know. ta
 MNA123 02 Aug 2007
In reply to krank (laughs at johns new gay name): Its the Alderly edge in the peak, tall limestone carg, ive beed there once its alright nothing special though!
OP krank 02 Aug 2007
In reply to Adam Moroz:
Crankin is what its all about mate not your girly slabs, Krank it grrrr, lol.
Anyway its not alderly cliff its defo alderly edge (soft sandstone) check it out, http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=249426
I just checked the map which gives me a better idea of where it is.
It will be top ropin (prepares the noose) i think cos the rock aint great but i wanna go, might have a look next week.
 Al Evans 03 Aug 2007
In reply to krank: Alderly Edge in Cheshire was climbed on and a guide written by the Woodward brothers (Johnny of Beau Geste fame). They sent the routes in to 'Crags' when I was news editor and it also appeared in the YHA new routes book held by Brian Cropper.
OP krank 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Chris.Allott: cheers thanks for that.

In reply to Al Evans: Cheers it doesnt sound to great really but cheers anyway.
 LMB 03 Aug 2007
In reply to krank: I wrote to ask the National Trust about climbing here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=212514&v=1#3118442
Please tread with caution, the rock is national heritage and easily damaged, its definately not the most inspirational place to climb! The part near to the fence (not the main tourist part) has the best suited rock, it's best to approach from the main car park path.
In reply to krank: dont know anything about the climbing or bouldering on the Edge, but there is an incredible network of old copper mines underneath it going back to pre roman times. The derbyshire caving club organise open days down there sometimes when they take ordinary punters down, its well worth going, I really enjoyed it.
 Col Allott 03 Aug 2007
In reply to krank: In reply to krank: I've attemped bouldering there a few times and there's not a lot to go at cos the sandstone is very crumbly!

Places I know of include: the quarry near the Wizard pub - some good arete problems on the quarries right side.
There's also the 'old quarry' bang in the middle of the wood that if you explore, reveals a biggish edge, but its pretty nasty.
A small buttress can be found west of the main edge if you keep walking past the big cave down into the woods.
Some of the better rock for bouldering can be found east of the touristy bit of the edge. As you walk down this path the so-called edge actually becomes a bit of an edge with some nice overhanging probs. This ends with castle rock, an 8 meter overhanging rock that's crumbling to bits (no thanks)
http://www.paul.moss6.btinternet.co.uk/alderlemaps.html

...oh yeah, you can't climb there!
 Justin T 03 Aug 2007
In reply to krank:
> This is strange to me, i have been there a few times cos its a nice wood to walk round, but have never seen anything which i thought was great.

It's not strange if you read the bit at the top of every "crag of the week" post which says:

"We don't choose the best or most popular crags, or even crags where it will be dry today! The main point it to get people talking about each crag."
OP krank 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Psychopathic_Barbie: yeah a friend of mine has done it and says its really good, its one of those things i mean to do but never end up doin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...