UKC

Masson lee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JOHNB-W 10 Mar 2018

Masson Lees Quarry

Hi all I think I have just seen a pick on Facebook of masson Lee been re landscaped does any one know what is going on?

Post edited at 08:53
 patsaunders 10 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

have you got a link to the picture?

snoop6060 10 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

Post the pic, not got facebook. A total shit hole but really good climbing on that steep wall at the back. Even with the 3 tons of sika holding it together. Always quite liked the place in a strange sort of way.

OP JOHNB-W 10 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

How do you put a pick on I can't get a link from Facebook.

philhilo 10 Mar 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

I reckon its one of the nicer quarries, less burnt out cars, no youths on motorcycles or chucking bottles, birds flying around, green trees and good easy to moderate sport and dry tooling in equal measures - even if it is stuck together! So would be gutted if we loose it as a venue. The farmer started to tip rubble into the far end a few years back but that was short lived.

climber34neil 10 Mar 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

It's the crag of dreams

n-stacey 10 Mar 2018
In reply to climber34neil:

Is that true?

zv 10 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

I think they're resetting the routes.

In reply to JOHNB-W:

I love this thread, it is the crag of dreams.

packing my quick draws now.......

OP JOHNB-W 11 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

Still can't find how to post pick but all the trees seem to have been cut down.

climber34neil 11 Mar 2018
In reply to n-stacey:

You know it is cheeky

philhilo 11 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

That isn't going to help getting around unless there are plans to remove the trees, which isn't going to be easy (drag them out from above with a tractor and winch?). I guess the question who did it and what's next?

n-stacey 11 Mar 2018
In reply to philhilo: From the picture posted I would say that the land owner is definitely back filling the quarry. I’ll pop up today and take a look and some pictures.

Nigel

philhilo 11 Mar 2018
In reply to n-stacey:

Gutted, but that's the only reason I can think of for cutting down the trees. Hopefully starting at the entrance end. Still have to do Long Black Veil! I think the tooling will be safe for a long while even if we have to ab in down the cave.

samt 11 Mar 2018

From UKcaving.com 

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=23266.0

"No, it is not being filled in - whoever is doing the works has started putting a roadway down to the opencast floor where there's been tree felling going on. Infilling would require material to be brought from off site, which would need planning permission, and there has been no application for this."

There are mines of significant interest in the area, which are protected by SSSI status, so very doubtful that backfilling would occur to extent of blocking access to these caves/mines.

https://thedca.org.uk/sssi-monitoring/sssi/masson-hill

climber34neil 11 Mar 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

You don't need them, they are all in situ on the best routes

> You don't need them, they are all in situ on the best routes

This crag just gets better and better

johncook 12 Mar 2018
In reply to samt:

I was there on Saturday 24th March and the quarry was intact and untouched then. They must have moved really quickly to do this much work. They have bulldozed the area at the top of the descent where the primroses and orchids were which is a great shame.

A local said that the people who are building the huge  new housing estate are going to use it to dump waste from the new building site! Not sure how true this is, just hearsay/speculation?

Hope that the damage does not become more extensive!

kristian Global Crag Moderator 12 Mar 2018
In reply to johncook:

I presume you ment February 24th.

It is very hard to follow the map given by natural England but if the quarry is within the SSSI then surley something sinister is going on?

https://designatedsites.naturalengland.org.uk/SiteDetail.aspx?SiteCode=S100...

kristian Global Crag Moderator 12 Mar 2018
In reply to kristian:

Looks like the SSSI boundary runs along the opposite side of the quarry edge.

Martin Haworth 12 Mar 2018
In reply to johncook:

There is quite extensive regulation around the back filling of old quarry workings for obvious reasons, it is a big source of potential pollution and also even inert waste is subject to lower rate landfill tax. I would be surprised if they had permission to do this but you never know. They would need permission from the Environment Agency. Might be worth someone checking with the EA or the local council before too much damage is done.

rocksol 12 Mar 2018

Nightmares!!

climber34neil 12 Mar 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

It's the gift that keeps on giving!

johncook 13 Mar 2018
In reply to johncook:

I missed off mentioning the peregrins and the other small birds of prey which nest in the quarry (Not sure what the other is, but have been told it is a merlin!) and have done for a few years. The climbers have not disturbed them, but I am sure the quarrying will!

johncook 13 Mar 2018
In reply to kristian:

Yes, February 24th 2018!

spidermonkey09 13 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

Anyone any the wiser on what the legal situation is? IE whats actually happening, have they got permission etc...

philhilo 13 Mar 2018
In reply to spidermonkey09:

My wife works for the environment agency and although she is on maternity leave has had a brief look around and not found any waste permits for the quarry. This wasn't exhaustive and only on publically accessible systems.

carnie 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

One for the local access rep?

Neil Amos 27 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

This seems to have gone a bit quiet. Does anyone know what is happening.  Friend of mine was up there last week for a look and said all of the trees have been felled in the quarry and the slope you walk down past the route ‘Hilti sound system’ is unstable

johncook 27 Mar 2018
In reply to Neil Amos:

I was thinking of contacting the BMC access guys to see if they have any news yet.

Not been in the area for the last few weeks so can't give an update myself. Will get down there as soon as possible to have a look and take photos!

Elfyn Jones 27 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

We are aware of this at the BMC and together with Derbyshire Caving Association have approached both Natural England and the local planning authority who are looking into the issues here.  We understand that the actual quarry may be just outside of the SSSI boundary but that some of the works undertaken could require planning permissions that do not appear to be in place.  My colleague Rob Dyer, who normally covers England is currently away on annual leave but will be following up on this when he returns after Easter.  In the meantime our local access volunteer for the area is also carrying out some investigations to see just what is happening here. 

Elfyn Jones BMC Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)

Neil Amos 27 Mar 2018
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Some photos taken today on the ‘peak sport climbing beta etc’ Facebook page

johncook 27 Mar 2018
In reply to Neil Amos:

Can't find that page or anything resembling it on facebook. What is it's proper name and can you give us a link to the photos Please

Neil Amos 27 Mar 2018
In reply to johncook:

Peak sport climbing rebolting/lifts/partners/conditions/ beta

that should get you there John 

philhilo 27 Mar 2018
In reply to Neil Amos:

Can't see anything in psyched for the Peak and can't find any other groups? There were pics from a few weeks back. 

Neil Amos 27 Mar 2018
In reply to philhilo:

Pics taken today. Maybe it’s a closed group. 

It is the whole thread name name mentioned above starting with ‘peak sport climbing’ and fininsheing with ‘beta’. All one title. As I said, could be a closed group

climber34neil 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Neil Amos:

Walked into masson this afternoon, all the routes are still accessable with the exception of routes 3 and 4 in the new guide on the left hand wall but if anyone wanted to do them then a little snipping of tree branches would sort that out. In terms of access , the original path/scramble down under hilti is totally fine ( no difference to before really) , alternativlal you can now walk down the trach that's been dug out and hop down a couple of boulders into the bottom of the quarry, so in some ways access is easier than it was before. The felled trees now cover the path through the quarry but is simple enough to walk over/ around, and now the routes on thw white walls , left and centre will probably dry out quicker than before as there is no tree cover at the base. If I can work out how to use Dropbox I'll put some photos on and post the link for anyone who is interested.

n-stacey 28 Mar 2018

Does it look like there has been recent activity backfilling?

Misha 28 Mar 2018

Shame about the trees. That approach track will be even more of a mud fest in winter than it has been to date...

In reply to Misha:

Defo, can still get in the usual way as well though

In reply to Misha:

Just realized which track you mean, even worse now

philhilo 29 Mar 2018
In reply to JOHNB-W:

So the natural look of the place has been severely dented (defo one of the better quarries). But this is only the start, they aren't doing it to make a nice path for climbers!

climber34neil 29 Mar 2018
In reply to philhilo:

Maybe it's in preparation for installing a chair lift ??

Neil Amos 29 Mar 2018

I like the suggestion on another thread that they are just resetting the routes! 

climber34neil 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Neil Amos

Or better still it's to get the drilling equipment in as the whole quarry is being redeveloped to be the UK's biggest and best drytooling and mixed climbing venue. Second phase is to install the water pipes along the top of the right walls , then put the roof on and install the freezer units, perhaps??

philhilo 30 Mar 2018

I am not sure Gary's glued on holds are quite up to be tooled! Even the tooling holds are coming off. 

climber34neil 01 Apr 2018
In reply to philhilo:

Maybe cover the whole place in t nut's , put a roof on and then people could take their own holds with them to make a sort of indoor climbing facility? I'm surprised know one had thought of it already. Could be money to be made

Mick B 03 Apr 2018

Some more updates on the southern peaks premier mid grade sport crag here...

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=23266.0

climber34neil 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Mick B:

Cheers!

Misha 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Mick B:

May be it will be some kind of motor/quad bike track?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...