UKC

Peak District belays notice mystery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 11 Mar 2024

An eagle eyed friend spotted this intriguing photo in an online property sale listing. The house for sale is in a village in the White Peak.

Does anyone know, or would like to speculate, where the notice above the fireplace comes from?

Neil

Post edited at 20:01

OP Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

In case the photo resolution is inadequate, the wording reads:-

'Notice to climbers

Belays

Natural block belays and good nut belays can be found above all the main buttresses.  Please do not damage the crag and create further scars by using pegs.'

Michael Gordon 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

A fine addition to any sitting room.

Pedro50 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

Make a low offer Neil. 

OP Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

I don't think the crag comes with the house, Pedro

McHeath 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

Guessing this must be from the 60s-early 70s, if pegs were still in use but nuts were also already on the scene? Must also have been sited at a biggish crag (“all the main buttresses”) and a popular one, a smaller one probably wouldn’t have warranted such a splendid notice?

PS wild guess, but maybe from the then main access point for Wildcat? Near the White Peak, well frequented and has plenty of “main buttresses”. I can’t remember what the belay possibilities at the top were, but probably more likely to have the “block belays” and nut placements than the steep grassy stuff at the top of a lot of Dovedale crags for instance.

Post edited at 22:22
 Offwidth 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

You could make an offer for the notice Neil.... must only be a tiny chance the new buyer would want it.

Toccata 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

Rubicon seems the obvious choice, given the history.

spenser 12 Mar 2024
In reply to McHeath:

Wildcat is mostly tree belays these days, I can't remember any obvious block belays from my visits.

Dan Arkle 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

I'm going to suggest it could have been at a grit crag, where peg scars would have been more unsightly. 

Jim Lancs 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

Was there a custom of placing peg belays at the top of Millstone when it was an aid venue?

A custom continued into the early days of the free era?

nigel n 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

Windgather I think

steveriley 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

Excellent. Thought about Windgather but Millstone seems a good shout.

john arran 12 Mar 2024
In reply to steveriley:

I can't remember any 'block' belays at the top of Millstone.

Ian Parsons 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

Harborough/Rainster?

Pedro50 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

It's likely to be a crag where non-climbers etc walk along the top of the crag, which rules out a number of suggestions above.

robert-hutton 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

Was it at Ravensdale?

DannyC 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

If anyone does manage to buy the sign, I feel it would be only appropriate to peg it into your living room wall.

Jim Lancs 12 Mar 2024
In reply to DannyC:

> If anyone does manage to buy the sign, I feel it would be only appropriate to peg it into your living room wall.

Wouldn't it be better to use four neat bolts rather than some mangled pegs . . . ?

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

In reply to robert-hutton:

Yes, I think Ravensdale is quite a likely candidate as it’s in the White Peak and one or two of the routes did have block belays at the top, IIRC.

OP Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

It may be that we’re closing in on the answer.

A couple of hours after posting this, I showed the photo to my partner and she suggested a crag without hesitation.  She’s been ‘climbing’ (or do I mean belaying?) there for over 30 years, and the sign, or at least the message, seemed familiar to her….

And this morning, totally independently, a friend sent me a PM suggesting the very same venue.

One poster earlier in the thread has suggested the same venue so, though you can’t see it, I now have 3 independent suggestions of the same venue.

And that venue is……?

Iamgregp 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

Surely the current owner will take it with them, just as they would the rest of their furniture and decorations?

Offwidth 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

Depends... I've seen quite a few possessions sold alongside house sales for a variety of reasons, from the very sad to space issues in downsizing. Having been house hunting for the last few years, I've pointed out a few art works that neither the seller or their agent realised would be an attractive purchase to some of the mountaineering public: they were considering throwing them away.

JimR 12 Mar 2024
In reply to nigel n:

Windgather was my first thought .. or perhaps even Stanage with the notice at the start of the main  path .. could be any grit crag .. I would'nt have thought Millstone

OP Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 12 Mar 2024
In reply to JimR:

Yep, Windgather is the suggestion from the 3 people referred to in my post above.

nigel n 12 Mar 2024
In reply to JimR:

At one time, say 40 years ago there were a lot of peg scars at the top of the crag.  And even bolts, you can just about make out some of the sleeves even now.

Luke90 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

> It's likely to be a crag where non-climbers etc walk along the top of the crag

Why? I don't follow the logic.

Pedro50 13 Mar 2024
In reply to Luke90:

Because it's unsightly.

The pegs, not the notice.

Post edited at 09:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...