UKC

Replaced abseil station at Stoney

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Lane 07 May 2012
I thought you'd all like to know that yesterday i replaced four of the abseil stations at Stoney.

Inquisitor, Golden Gate, Scoop Wall and Bitterfingers abseil points had all of the old tat cut off and new, well equalised 10mm rope and decent sized mallion/screwgate of some sort put on.

The Scoop wall and Bitterfingers were is a pretty grim state of 10 or so pieces of rotting shoelace tied to all sorts of stuff, what is there now is a lot simpler and you can actually see what it's tied to!

Whilst i'm here, we also replaced a lot of stuff at Aldery Cliff a few months ago, one of the bit we cut off had just one strand of the core left!

Hopefully this will encourage a bit more traffic onto the limestone again and i plan to continue renewing the belay/abseil points on Peak Limestone when i go to crags like Dovedale, Stoney and the rest of the classic venues which are slowly disappearing under vegetation.

Thanks
Dan

PS. If anyone has any static rope, thinner cord (for replacing in situ threads) or old screwgates/mallions they'd like to donate to replacing abseil stations on Peak Limestone then drop me an email, i'll happily take it off your hands and do the work myself.
 Wft 07 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Thanks Dan, much appreciated
 Adam Long 07 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Good effort. That's pretty amazing how stuff accumlates, I did the same with the Scoop wall lower-off only 3 years back (pink 9mm). Maybe worth tagging stuff with a date so folk might not add quite so much...
OP Dan Lane 07 May 2012
In reply to Adam Long:

I've thought it would be good to do exactly that in the past Adam but can't think of a simply and easy way of doing it at the crag, can you?

And you're tat that you put on a few years back is in a worrying state already! The dye from the sheath has seeped through and dyed the core fluorescent pink!
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 07 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Thanks for your efforts Dan.

I should be able to source some static rope for you. Adam probably can too...!

Cheers

Neil
 ro8x 07 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Good effort Dan.

I'll see if i can get some gear sorted.
 Adam Long 07 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Dan, be good to get that pink rope back if possible - there's a good chance I could get it tested (still have some in the cellar for comparison) and see just how much weaker it is.

I can definitely provide some static rope, possibly a few screwgates too. Will have a think about tags, shouldn't be too hard.
OP Dan Lane 07 May 2012
In reply to Adam Long:

you're more than welcome to have it back! when is the next BMC meeting? I could bring it to that if i'm around.
OP Dan Lane 08 May 2012
In reply to Adam Long:

In fact Adam, let me know your address and i'll just post it to you.
In reply to Adam Long:

What about those cheap plastic key rings which you can put your own picture in? They snap shut pretty tight, and with waterproof paper and permanent marker they should do the job.
 Simon 08 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
> (In reply to Adam Long)
>
> you're more than welcome to have it back! when is the next BMC meeting?

Good effort youth - I'll be happy to give a few screw gates up for your good work...

In answer to your question - the next BMC meeting will probably be within the first weeks in July at the Winking Man Pub - Staffs near Ramshaw (depending on how our great Sec Lynn gets on). It's normally round Cliffhanger time - so see you at either or both events...

Cheers

Si

OP Dan Lane 09 May 2012
In reply to Simon:

hmmm, I'm away for pretty much all on July so we'll have to see...
 Jon Stewart 09 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Thanks!
 Brannock 09 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Big Thanks
 Stig 09 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Nice one. I have about three screwgates you can have.
In reply to Dan Lane: Not sure if it is of any use but just a quick note to say that fully rated stainless steel maillons are currently available on ebay direct from Welsh manufacturer Makefast http://www.makefast.com/ (ebay username make-fast) at stupidly low prices - cheaper than you can generally buy normal steel ones for.

The have 10x 6mm on a 'Buy it now or Best Offer' listing for £16.69 and but they were happy to accept £10 (£1 each), plus £2.70 postage.

The also have 10mm SS maillons which would be perfect for any lower-offs or high-use abseils, listed at £2.65 each +P&P but you might get away with offering around £2 each.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
 Graham Hoey 10 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Great stuff Dan, unfortunately, some of the in-situ stuff on Stoney has been stolen recently, slings, krabs and maillons. We need to keep a eye out or ensure krabs and maillons are securely locked.

Cheers
Graham
 paul mitchell 23 May 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: was at Stoney last week.Lower off on Bitterfingers is two stiff old bits of rope on two tired trees,with an ancient karabiner.Time for replacement,and possibly some kind of metal anchors in the cracks to back up the trees.

Mitch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...