UKC

Whiteghyll rockfall

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 SATTY 23 May 2024

A climber was seriously hurt last Saturday after pulled a loose block  off a route and releasing several other large rocks fortunately missing everyone

Just a warning do we know the route

Post edited at 11:35
In reply to SATTY:

route?

OP SATTY 23 May 2024
In reply to climberclimber321:

thats what i am asking,report was in westmoreland gazette with little detail

Rick Graham 23 May 2024
In reply to SATTY:

Saturday, 27th April.

No note of which route on lamrt site.

Checked a few likely routes on logbooks on here, but not found out which route. 

Only reference I could find was a note by a climber on  Palladin, saying accident was on topping out, so could be any route .

TobyA 23 May 2024
In reply to SATTY:

I was there on Sunday, lots of people climbing on pretty much all the classics. No obvious signs of a rockfall so suspect it wasn't that big a fall. Any rockfall can obviously badly hurt a person it hits, so obviously just one rock falling can lead to a serious accident. Maybe was more at that end of the scale than a section of cliff collapsing?

Hope all involved are OK and on the mend.

cathsullivan 23 May 2024
In reply to SATTY:

I think somebody posted a thread just after this happened but I can't find it now. IIRC the thread contained some speculation about the route it might have been, but no definitive info.

Along with many others, I was there on Sunday 19th and didn't hear any reports of routes that had obviously been affected by a recent rockfall. White Ghyll Wall was as it's always been.

OP SATTY 23 May 2024
In reply to SATTY:

Bit of a mystery,been unable to retrace the article and no report  on lamrt site,very odd

OP SATTY 23 May 2024
In reply to SATTY:

Thanks gazette report wellout of kilter,would be nice to know the route although believe just finishing the route

Rick Graham 23 May 2024
In reply to SATTY:

> Thanks gazette report wellout of kilter,would be nice to know the route although believe just finishing the route

Being my local paper, I used to get a copy every week.

However, about 20 years ago, realised that every story of which I had some personal knowledge, the reporting was b×××ocks. Never bought a copy since.

Rob Exile Ward 23 May 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

That's my experience too. I got to thinking that journalists deliberately made mistakes,  just to see if anyone was paying attention.

C Witter 24 May 2024
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Nope... they just have a skeleton staff of relatively junior or untalented people, working for peanuts, because the local newspaper economy has collapsed and new owners are not interested in journalism, just in ad revenue. So, stories are collected via press release, telephone calls and Google searches, then quickly regurgitated into something that looks like journalism at a glance, but actually is little more than PR and blog scrawling. Such a blow to local democracy and accountability....

See, e.g., https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/26/regional-newspapers-fight-for...

Post edited at 08:38

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...