UKC

Advice on getting fit for mountain walking and cr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gordonbp 26 Oct 2019

Hi.

Coming up to 65 - been climbing and mountain walking for many years (not always successfully!). Used to be very fit 30 years ago (as in Light Infantry fit) now about 1.5- 2.0 stone overweight.

I would like to start re-building fitness both for mountain walking and crag climbing (Roaches, Stanage etc)

Any pointers to a (moderate) regime I could start?

Thanks!

colinakmc 26 Oct 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

best training for hillwalking is hillwalking. Having said that, I’m similar age, and do mountain biking and Parkrun when I can’t get time for a hill.

Another recent thread (sorry, can’t find it immediately but I saved the link to the reference) on here gave me a eureka moment, though, when I realised that giving myself a hammering on the bike, or doing a flat out 5k, might be harming my hill fitness/stamina.

So I’ve resolved to start exercising using the thinking in this article:

https://www.uphillathlete.com/aerobic-deficiency-syndrome/ 

- keeping heart rate under 120 

- going longer but slower

Re. weight I use the MyFitnessPal app and (mainly passively) monitor calorie and protein intake and painlessly lost about 20lbs which so far isn’t showing any sign of sneaking back on.

Good luck, and enjoy your hills.

Post edited at 14:10
 summo 26 Oct 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

No disrespect, I'd start with an hours relatively flat walking, every other day and a trip to the doctors just to check the tickers ok if you haven't done much for a while.

Consistency is more critical than flogging yourself. As is rest, health eating and recovery days. Don't skimp on buying reasonable footwear either.

You'll soon know when you can progressively build up your training, small percentage increases in distance, speed or vertical ascent etc. 

Post edited at 14:25
 Tringa 15 Nov 2019
In reply to summo:

Agree that walking is one of the best ways to start. Also agree that starting off on the flat is a good idea as slowly adding a bit of weight to carry. However, I think, and this is only my opinion there is quite a bit difference between being fit and capable while walking on the flat and being the same for walking hills. There is nothing quite like gravity.

Dave

henwardian 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Depends on the time available, the facilities around you, any niggling injuries you have, the great outdoors (or lack thereof) around you, how resilient you are to doing stuff in the rain and or dark and maybe who you have available to train with.

If you give a fair bit more information for folk to work with, you should get ideas better tailored to your specific situation.

maxsmith 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Start buying all (or some) of your food on foot rather than using the car.  My old Berghaus cyclops rucksack just about fits a full shop in but is ridiculously heavy when stacked with milk etc.  Good for the environment and gets you hill fit.

Removed User 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Walking is fine but you need a lot of time to put in a worthwhile session.

Running is a good way of improving your aerobic fitness and losing weight. You can fit a half decent run into an hour and a half slot in your day and so you can exercise 3 or 4 days a week which makes a big difference. That said, don't thrash yourself or you'll just end up injured. I guess cycling is also an option but something. I hate so I won't comment further.

C Witter 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

My 2p:

- Listen to your body

- Read up on how to avoid getting injured

- Regular low-level exercise, e.g. 30 mins stroll per day, just to get your body moving

- 3 to 4 days a week do more significant exercise, e.g. a run, a proper walk or a climbing session; rest the next day, if needed

- if running: longer, slower runs to get the miles in your legs, rather than fast runs

- walking: get up some hills! But not too much weight; coming down is a knee killer

- indoor climbing: get in mileage and be careful on strenuous or crimpy routes till your fitness is good

- trad climbing: it's always cracking

- mix it up, e.g. maybe swim instead of a run, to avoid redundancy and avoid over stressing the same muscles and joints

- warm up and stretch after exercise, especially after runs and climbs, to avoid injury (e.g. knee problems)

- Don't waste time with gimmicks; you just need to get out and enjoy yourself.

Post edited at 11:10
 gimmergimmer 19 Nov 2019
In reply to C Witter:

The problem as you get older (i'm nearly 61 so a mere youth), tends to be biomechanics. I would suggest yoga and pilates to keep flexible as you can, whilst gently upping the cardio, otherwise you pull things, twing things etc. Seems to be working for me so far.. 

Sean Kelly 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Get a dog (Collie, Springer or similar). The pounds will just fall off!

C Witter 19 Nov 2019
In reply to gimmergimmer:

> The problem as you get older (i'm nearly 61 so a mere youth), tends to be biomechanics. I would suggest yoga and pilates to keep flexible as you can, whilst gently upping the cardio, otherwise you pull things, twing things etc. Seems to be working for me so far.. 

Seems sensible! I guess some people might be resistant to yoga or pilates, but it makes complete sense.

nniff 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

If you were Light Infantry fit, you've probably got knackered knees like the rest of us.  Get a road bike, put some miles in and you'll lose weight without caning your joints.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...