UKC

quiet peak crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sloth 24 Mar 2007
hi,

just wanting a bit of help finding a nice quiet crag

any ideas?

cheers
 CJD 24 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

if we told you then we'd have to kill you (as the saying goes).

I reckon try looking over towards the western peak though.
 IanJackson 24 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth: Stanage.

If you want quiet, go to scotland.
 ebygomm 24 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

I have been to a peak crag today

There were no other climbers there
 deepsoup 24 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=233983&v=1#3440647
I doubt overcrowding will be a problem anywhere he'll be wanting to take you.
 sutty 24 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

most stuff on Kinder will fit the book.
 Ropeboy 24 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

don't forget Wharncliffe and Gardoms, they're still good crags but shouldn't be too busy.

J
In reply to sloth:

Anything on Stanage that isn't the Popular end. Today was heaving. Moscar/High Neb area - dead.
 SouthernSteve 24 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Not everything in the West! At Windgather - the routes can be relatively free of people unfortunately they'll be top ropes down nearly every single part of the crag. The folk will watch their ropes eating their sandwiches, smoking and chatting! Rant over!
 Reach>Talent 24 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:
Its easy to find a quiet crag in the peaks, just go in weather that nobody else would be stupid enough to climb in. Topping out into a gale or horizontal wind can be a bit iring though
John Kirk 24 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth: Try Cocking tor in the amber valley - three classics and a great view.
 ranger*goy 24 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

Had Kinder to ourselves last time I went.

I'd recommend anywhere with a good long walk in.
 Al Evans 25 Mar 2007
In reply to ranger*goy: See Fiends Esoteric thread for some ideas
 SecretSquirrel 25 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:
Even Burbage North was fairly quiet yesterday - a few people on the short bit near the carpark but hardly saw anyone all day further up and didn't have to queue for either of the 2 "must do" routes.
crisp 25 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:
Most crags in the Chew valley, Alderman Rocks, Robs Rocks etc.
 GrahamD 26 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

Somewhere like Turning Stone Edge or Harston will be pretty quiet. Just get a definitive guidebook and read it through and you'll find loads.
Removed User 26 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

Wimberry, but no good after rain.
 GrahamD 26 Mar 2007
In reply to Removed User:

Wimberry is never really quiet if its in any sort of condition (well, weekends, at least).
 JDDD 26 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth: It isn't just crags that are quiet, bits of crags are often very quiet. Stanage End is usually deserted as is Roaches Skyline. The bit of Curbar 100 yards right of Frogat is usually very quiet even when you can see the queues for Chequers Buttress stretching into the distance. Anything in the Chew or Longdale is pretty quiet which is amazing given the quality of some of those crags. If you fancy a bit of a change, why not pop over to Lancashire. Some hidden gems are waiting to be unearthed again! (literally)
Chris Tan.Clone II 26 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

Unwanted Rocks! Seeing that nobody knows where it is and it's not in any of the guide books... it's usually very, very quiet!
 pdufus 26 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth: Anywhere it takes ages to walk in to Climbers are lazy buggers
Baz47 26 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:
Din't see anyone else on Stoney yesterday or Wharncliffe last week. Walked all the way on to Bass Rock without seeing a sole.
Removed User 26 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

Get thou chops to Standing Stones. Dry at the mo...
 GrahamD 27 Mar 2007

Or the Grinnah stones. Might see the odd hare but no climbers.
Removed User 27 Mar 2007
In reply to GrahamD:

I meant the crag not the boulders. I've only climbed there at weekends a couple of times but we were always the first there and never more than half a dozen others. Maybe I just got lucky!
 Fredt 27 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

Ladybower Quarry is pretty quiet, except for the occasional crash of large sections of the crag hitting the floor.
ceri 27 Mar 2007
In reply to Baz47: We saw one lot of climbers at stoney on saturday. we were running though.
 GrahamD 27 Mar 2007

Well Wimberry is never going to get the Stanage crowds but its never been deserted either whenever I've been there. Maybe my judgement was clouded by a bunch of Manc neds having a Stella party at the top of the crag last time I went !
 DerwentDiluted 29 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

Just had a gorgeous evening on the Rollick stones, anywhere with a walk in of over 25m will be quiet.
In reply to sloth:

There must be well over 200 crags in the Peak. Anywhere whose name doesn't begin with Stanag-, Curba-, Froggat- or Burbag- will be fine. Good luck finding one.

jcm
Bob Bennett 29 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:
Just go to any of the quality climbing crags i.e. limestone trad or sport(-other than Horseshoe Quarry) and avoid the crowds on the over rated grit. Most are usually quiet.
 Gus 30 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:
Hen Cloud!!!!
Guaranteed to be quiet and also has the added bonus of being the best grit crag anywhere by a very long way!!!!
 Offwidth 30 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth: Nether Tor, Wharncliffe Woods, Agden Rocher, Yellowslacks, Baslow.. that will do you for starters
 Duz Walker 30 Mar 2007
In reply to sloth:

Big up for the one and only......

Shining Clough
Removed User 31 Mar 2007
In reply to GrahamD:

Now that IS unlucky. To walk up that hill with all your gear only to encounter a bunch of chavs at the top must have been irritating beyond belief. Judging by the amount of litter down the back of the boulders on the top, this may not have been an isolated incident.

That type of wildlife encounter is one we can all do without.
 Offwidth 01 Apr 2007
In reply to sloth:

I went here a few hours ago:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=235394&v=1#3461529

I bet some of these S-VS climbs have had ascent numbers you could count on two hands.
 proctorious 01 Apr 2007
In reply to sloth:
There's a small quarry in the middle of this link.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&...

It's about 30 mins walk off the road (B6175) that links Stalybridge with Uppermill, near Swineshaw resevoirs. Listed on the UKC databases as 'Minor Tameside quarries' but there are no guidebooks from what I can find! The nearest is the BMC Kinder guidebook that says something along the lines of 'Those that have climbed in these minor quarries didn't bother recording any of these routes as they had no desire to repeat them' which I think is a bit harsh! They're a bit heathery but for a bit of late evening bouldering like the one above that faces SW - they aren't bad and the rock has barely been touched. Not one bit of polish to be found!
 proctorious 01 Apr 2007
In reply to proctorious:
Wrong link above! This should be it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&q=goo...

orge 01 Apr 2007
In reply to GrahamD:

I remember trudging all the way up to Rob's Rocks to find 3 ned's, all equiped with Special Brew, clambering around the top. Fortunately, they didn't hang around for long, but scrambled up on to the opposite scree. We watched with amazement as they spent an hour rolling rocks/boulders down into the river...

It's normally a class venue though.

J
Removed User 01 Apr 2007
In reply to orge:

I guess the car park is too close to "civilization".

If they let it grow over, back to say, Sheffield, maybe the stone age people would forsake the area altogether and f*** off to east Manc where they belong.

But don't forget, Whillans came from Salford (bows head in respect).

Offwidth 03 Apr 2007
In reply to orge:

There were three 'rock and roll' neds there again on Sunday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...