UKC

NEW FORUM: Starting Out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 11 May 2007
If you are a beginner climber or are thinking of starting climbing we have a new forum just for you.

Starting Out forum
Climbing beginners discussion

A forum for asking questions, whether you are deciding to get into climbing or have just started and need something explained. UKClimbing.com is visited by many experienced climbers, including climbing and mountaineering guides, who will gladly help out. Please check the UKClimbing FAQs before posting.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=19

We have some associated articles including FAQ's planned, that both beginners and established climbers may find useful.

If you are an experienced climber responding to questions in this forum, please make sure you know your stuff. If you do it get it wrong with over 94,053 different people each month reading these discussion boards someone will point it out.

We are actively seeking mountain and climbing instructors to peruse this new forum to offer advice (please get in touch with <mick@ukclimbing.com> if interested).

Mick
 Katie Weston 11 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Could have sworn that when you suggested this it was prety obviou that no one really liked this idea......
After all if a beginner just starting out asks about gear, which forum should it go in. How many questions will get ignored by experience climbers because they avoid the seemingly stupid questions that are bound to be asked in this forum?
rich 11 May 2007
In reply to Katie Weston: it is noticeable how few posts this one has attracted

i wish the new forum well though
 Trangia 11 May 2007

I hope top roping threads will find a comfortable home here at last.
Nao 11 May 2007
I just noticed that when I posted!

Is 'Starting Out' an opt-out forum like TCR? (I think that might get around some people's objections.)
 Katie Weston 11 May 2007
In reply to Nao:
It is, but I think so little will be posted in here I won't bother, after all reading the trolls is amusing. Just go to User Options and Logout on top left corner.
OP Michael Ryan 11 May 2007
In reply to Nao:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

> Is 'Starting Out' an opt-out forum like TCR? (I think that might get around some people's objections.)

Yes. You can opt out of any forum. Go to your "User Options & Logout"......top right if you are logged in.

TRNovice 11 May 2007

Mick,

What's your definition of a beginner?

TRN
Nao 11 May 2007

I wouldn't opt out, I can just see that as being an issue (people complaining about newbies asking the same old questions) so that's a good reason to have it. At least the people who are not interested in reading them can just opt out. Sounds like a good idea to me - better than people having a go at newbies.
Graham 11 May 2007

Are you aware that if you hover the mose over the icon for the forum it says PHTO the same as the photography forum?

G
In reply to Katie Weston:

We have just set the forum up and will see how it develops.

I shifted a bunch of threads to the forum, all of which were posted in the last 24 hours. Although some of them aren't strictly 'beginners' questions, they all contain advice that will be found useful by the less experienced. We are currently considering whether to slightly change the wording of the forum to tie in more with the advice, improvement and experience emphasis.

Please have a little more patience and a little less cynicism.

Thanks

Alan
 eppa 11 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I heard a rumour that Al would like this renamed the "Wendy's tips on how to paint your nails and giggle like a girl" forum
 Caralynh 11 May 2007

I think this is a great idea, and will, with any luck, stop newbies being told to search the forum, or have it suggested they're trolling.
Anonymous 11 May 2007
In reply to TRNovice:

Good point. I'd suggest that a beginner is anyone operating below E1/7a/V5 or anyone wierdly obsessed with debating top-roping, 3 pebble slab, or other tedious topics.
> (In reply to Nao)
> It is, but I think so little will be posted in here I won't bother, after all reading the trolls is amusing. Just go to User Options and Logout on top left corner.

I'll add to Alan;s comments

Like you say Katie, if you don't want to read it, go to your user options and uncheck it.

It is hard predicting what works, what doesn't, what is useful and what is not. There are no rules or guidelines that govern internet forums: they have a mind of their own especially popular ones with lots of people contributing and reading.

They also take time to gather momentum. It doesn't happen overnight. The Gear forum has really kicked off now. Down The Pub and Culture Bunker got negative comments initially but now they are very popular and well used.

However our intentions are clear. We want a home where beginners and those interested in climbing can ask questions. Hopefully they will get good advice from more experienced climbers, some who are qualified and are active guides and instructors.

Time will tell if it works. I think it will.

Mick

Wilbur 11 May 2007
In reply to TRNovice:
>
> Mick,
>
> What's your definition of a beginner?
>
> TRN

Probably someone who's a TR novice...

do you see what i've done there?!

Katie Weston 11 May 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
Not criticising, just curious, is any thread that you think will be useful for a beginner be moved to this forum?
Surely by that natre most threads in RT could be moved.
So we know where to put things and don't get the nasty little threads moved message how would you like exsisting climbers to use this forum?

the finding harnesses to fit thin people thread could be useful, aas could teh climbing walls in leicestershire..... what topics are meant to go in the new forum? If someone who is knewly registered chooses to post their thread in gear, or in climbing walls about what to buy, which walls to use, will it get moved?
In reply to Graham:
> Are you aware that if you hover the mose over the icon for the forum it says PHTO the same as the photography forum?

Now fixed, thanks.
 TRNovice 11 May 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to TRNovice)
>
> Good point. I'd suggest that a beginner is anyone operating below E1/7a/V5 or anyone wierdly obsessed with debating top-roping, 3 pebble slab, or other tedious topics.

Sounds like I have a new home - but I think 3PS should probably have its own forum .

TRNovice 11 May 2007
In reply to Wilbur:
> (In reply to TRNovice)
> [...]
>
> Probably someone who's a TR novice...
>
> do you see what i've done there?!

That would be another of your clever media tricks wouldn't it? Thanks for spelling it out, I'd never have got there by myself .

CJD 11 May 2007

cool! I like it! there are sometimes things I want to ask but don't like being shouted down for, so I like this idea as a not just for newbies space, as a 'ask questions that you think the hardened cynics might shout at you for' space.

nice one!
brothersoulshine 11 May 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
>
> Please have a little more patience and a little less cynicism.

A good sentiment. I hope it works out well.
 Katie Weston 11 May 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine:
I don't dislike teh idea too much, I just want to know what threads we should be putting in there? Alan just said he moved some threads in there as they will be useful to beginners, does this mean we should place any thread that may be useful to beginners in that forum?
 CJD 11 May 2007

further to my last post, is it okay to use it as a 'not just beginners but other random questions that might seem obvious or have been asked before' space?

ta
Nao 11 May 2007
In reply to CJD:
Yeah, I think that would be a good idea.
A 'this might seem like a stupid question but...?' forum!
 CJD 11 May 2007
In reply to Nao:

yes!
Nao 11 May 2007
Also... is there any way of linking to the FAQs from there? It would be quite good if the FAQs were published there (eg Is it okay to wash rock boots?) - I think they are quite hard to find.

Maybe give it some time to settle down a bit?
 CJD 11 May 2007
In reply to Nao:

or as some sort of little banner thing at the bottom of the first post, like the google adverts appeared for a while.
 Horse 11 May 2007

The point you make is a fair one.
 Katie Weston 11 May 2007
In reply to Horse:
Exactly, when you get the forum wrong, you get a message asking you to make life easier for moderators and users..... please let us do that by saying what you want us to put in this forum.

Chris Tan.Clone II 11 May 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

There should also be more adverts in the Starting Out forum. As well as advice, newbies also need Bright Shiny Gear!
In reply to Nao:
> Also... is there any way of linking to the FAQs from there? It would be quite good if the FAQs were published there (eg Is it okay to wash rock boots?) - I think they are quite hard to find.

Look at the top...FAQ's are linked

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=19
In reply to Katie Weston: Like the top of the Starting Out forum page, and the Forum Descriptions page?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html

Cheers
 Katie Weston 11 May 2007
In reply to Chris Tan.Clone II:
No arguments from me with that.... might mean my boyfriend gets paid more, and will actually buy me a deccent birthday present!
rich 11 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: i spent some time on another forum that had a split

positives: people were a bit more patient of questioners

negatives: if you asked what the forum powers-that-be thought was a beginner question in the wrong forum you got a bit of a slagging

like you say it'll find it's own dynamic here
 Katie Weston 11 May 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
So any question should go in the starting out forum?

"A forum for asking questions, whether you are deciding to get into climbing or have just started and need something explained. UKClimbing.com is visited by many experienced climbers, including climbing and mountaineering guides, who will gladly help out. Please check the UKClimbing FAQs before posting."

Or just ones asked by beginners? Or just ones that are useful to beginners?

Also for "improvers".
 CJD 11 May 2007

but if one's going to be pedantic, aren't we *all* improvers?

(even you, ANB, you tedious arse)

but yes, fair point
In reply to CJD:

Are we not all "beginners?"
Nao 11 May 2007
Thanks, I was more thinking of the threads that link to articles (such as the gear reviews or write ups in the other forums) being published in the newbies forum. But the link on that one's good to have also.
 CJD 11 May 2007

well true, so I'm not sure why some people are grumbling on here there's always something new to be learned, right?
 Katie Weston 11 May 2007
In reply to CJD:
There is always something new to be learned (I think my climbing is getting worse so I don't think I can be an improver!) I think the forum is an ok idea, not the best, but hey it's not my site, Alan etc. can do what the hell they like with it! I just want to know how they would like us to use it.
Are requests from beginners for partners going in here?
In reply to Nao:
> Thanks, I was more thinking of the threads that link to articles (such as the gear reviews or write ups in the other forums) being published in the newbies forum. But the link on that one's good to have also.

Yes I agree with you.

More generally. This new forum, like the others, will sort itself out in time. Whilst there are posting guidelines, these are guidelines and people try their best and for the most part get it right, eventually, with a little light touch of moderation.

For those who like everything in neatly defined boxes, real life isn't like that.

I mean. Crumbs! We can hardly agree on the definition of common words sometimes.

Mick

In reply to CJD:
>
> but if one's going to be pedantic, aren't we *all* improvers?

Er, no. Quite a lot of us used to be better than we are now.
Apex Distribution 11 May 2007

Great idea guys!

Jim
 nikinko 11 May 2007
>
> the finding harnesses to fit thin people thread could be useful, aas could teh climbing walls in leicestershire..... what topics are meant to go in the new forum? If someone who is knewly registered chooses to post their thread in gear, or in climbing walls about what to buy, which walls to use, will it get moved?

I think it's a great idea aswell, and it would be good to see people being more tolerant with basic questions. I also think Katies question is very good- say someone who was starting out wanted advice on gear, someone more experienced and looking to change their gear might also find the info useful! (for example)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...