UKC

Who Do You Have To Thank John Peel For?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 omerta 22 May 2007
I'm sure we all have someone that that dour genius introduced us to....

For me, it's Brainiac and Yo La Tengo and Urusei Yatsura....

Happy days, or nights even
 Dominion 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

He didn't play any tracks off our first EP, that's all I can say.
gourd 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

The Smiths
brothersoulshine 22 May 2007
In reply to Dominion:

The man had taste
 dek 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: The Undertones.
 CENSORED 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: The Damned...
 tony 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

John Chibadura
 CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Ball Boy!

MttSnr 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Bolthrower and Lawnmower Death.

I'd forgotten about Urusei Yatsura though. That brightened my day.
 Dominion 22 May 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine:

> The man had taste

I think he was on holiday in Peru at the time we sent it to him, though...
 Blue Straggler 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

elastica (though they'd probably come to the public's attention without Peel's patronage...see also PJ Harvey and Hole)

Even As We Speak (heard them first on Wear FM but Peel played them a lot and they did 3 sessions)

Tarnation (which led to my discovery of "alt country")

Bang Bang Machine (I never heard them on Peel but I wouldn't have heard them at all had Peel not championed them in the first place)

In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to brothersoulshine)
>
> [...]
>
> I think he was on holiday in Peru at the time we sent it to him, though...

To paraphrase Dune
"your music is a killing sound"
prana 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: T-Rex, Bowie, Hendrix, Beefheart...
In reply to sarah79:
>
>
> For me, it's Brainiac and Yo La Tengo

Funnily enough Peel played that song that Georgia Hubley sings off 'Painful' and I understandably figured that she was the lead singer, which unfortunately led to disappointment when I bought that album as at the time I was not into male vocals at all....sadly this disproportionately put me off the band! D'oh! (though I did still go to see them in 1993, which was actually dead good, and I somehow ended up with all their home addresses in Hoboken!)

Thought of another one which arguably provided a turning point in my life.

Drugstore
 sutty 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Dunno, not played any of his tapes for a few years. Will put one on later, off the light programme!!!
Kipper 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Napalm Death
prana 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: Rod Stewart?
 KeithW 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
prana 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: this has to be the most frustrating web page ever-lists all peel sessions, but no audio
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/
In reply to sarah79:
The Fall
Lots of electronica
Richard D James
Plastikman
etc
 Dominion 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

More seriously - Polly Jean Harvey, Throwing Muses, The Pixies, The Smiths, The Fall, The Cure, The Wedding Present, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Altered Images, The Southern Death Cult, Stiff Little Fingers, The Undertones, The Damned, Birdland...

Could go on and on and on...
In reply to prana:

Dig it! A quick glance at 1992 throws up that "where are they now" question re: some bands that did receive a fair amount of press - Bandulu, Mint 400, Leatherface...
In reply to Dominion:

Seriously no disrespect to the guy or to your post but in my opinion, a lot of these would have filtered through to you without Peel's help. Arguably The Wedding Present wouldn't have, nor Birdland.

Obviously he was still a great and unique man who brought great music to us all, and I'm probably totally wrong in my statement above
prana 22 May 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler: Bandulu rigs a bell- dubby? I've got loads of peelie tapes with a starred rating of 1-3, complete with the voice of peel- just need a new tape deck
In reply to prana:
'Dubby' is generous. iirc - two indie chicks with a slant toward dance/baggy (hey it WAS 1992!). Tended to have CD singles with remixes from people like The Grid.
Not bad, just not built to last.

I just picked 1992 randomly for a peep as that's when I discovered that there was more to music than All About Eve and New Order.
 jim robertson 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

For me John Peel opened up my eyes to so many different avenues of music. Very much missed. Check this link and his festive fifies alone.

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/festive50.htm
In reply to jim robertson:

It's great tracing those Festive 50s back beyond the years that we remember, you can kind of trace certain legacies backward, if that makes sense. Cheers.
 jim robertson 22 May 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Quite surprising, the names that crop up I mean. I was very much a late-comer to John Peel, 1980-ish, and delving into some of his earlier playlists always astounds me. He may not have personally made music, but he certainly made the music happen for me.
 pog100 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Loudon Wainwright III
 tony 22 May 2007

Festive 50s were great, but I do recall Peel bemoaning the fact that the votes were always cast for fairly mainstream acts (by Peel standards), and that they never really reflected his own tastes. There was one year I recall when he said there were at least three bands in the Festive 50 that he'd never actually played...
 steev 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Heard some Mogwai on his show back in 1997. I'd previously been mostly listening to bad grunge bands and it completely opened my eyes to what else was out there, and it massively influenced the way my musical tastes developed.

Apart from that there was all sorts of stuff I heard first on Peel. The most famous I can think of from the top of my head is the White Stripes.
 griffer boy 22 May 2007
he gave me my life, made me think about who i was and what i needed to do through music. things like this out of the blue nearly bring me to tears.

the wedding present, soup dragons & the smiths
In reply to sarah79:

One of my mates collated all the festive 50 lists and with the help of a lot of folks managed to collect the entirety in MP3 format. Free set of CDs for those who helped him amass this amount of music!!!
 BrianT 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: Without Peel, the musical and cultural map of western society would be very different.
 Mike C 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Home Truths on Radio 4, sorely missed piece of brilliant radio.
 bluebrad 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

A lot of my music I would love to say that I got into via JP but even I couldn't carry off a lie that big... 8-)

However a couple that I can directly contribute to knowing from John Peel are Meanwhile Back in Communist Russia and Melt Banana.

Should also add that I have been introduced to a lot of music that mates have heard on JP and loved and then subsequently recommended to me as I was never the most devoted of Peel listeners.

bluebrad
In reply to tony:

You are quite right, I am aware of this and was going to mention it myself but felt that it wasn't in the spirit of the thread

I think I heard one of the years in which there was a number of these - 1994 - he sounded particularly disgruntled that Veruca Salt's "Seether" was so high in the top ten, I got the feeling he'd never even heard it let alone played it!

But the Festive 50 was never billed as Peel's taste, we always knew it was the fans, and that's why The Fall and PJ Harvey didn't hit number one all that much, cos all their songs tended to split the vote (see: 1992 - Sheela Na Gig beaten by Bang Bang Machine's wonderful Geek Love which was more of a one-off whereas Sheela Na Gig had to compete with Dress and probably Water)
In reply to bluebrad:
> Meanwhile Back in Communist Russia

Ooh what are they up to? I saw them 5 years ago, kind of interesting (the most disinterested and cool-looking lead singer ever, she seemed more interested in looking surly and smoking fags than actually doing anything, and I thought that was ace!) but never followed them up
Removed User 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

The Birthday Party
Butthole Surfers
Bitch Magnet
The 4 Brothers
3 Mustaphas 3
 bluebrad 22 May 2007

No idea to be honest - they were supposed to be doing a gig in Sheffield a few years back but it never happened for reasons unknown - got as couple of albums by them and they were OK but if I am really honest you only need one album by them.

I have never put it to the test but I suspect that the one album only rule also applies to another JP fave - Dick Dale!!

bluebrad
 BrianT 22 May 2007
In reply to bluebrad: Going way back, I first heard Beefheart on Peelie's prog, and when I was 14, it was the only place to hear punk when it was at its freshest. I remember him defiantly playing the then banned 'God Save the Queen'. Priceless.
wcdave 22 May 2007
In reply to Anon_13_20220115: I have all the festive 50's on the computer, including the ones from 1984 when I'd really stopped listening to Peel(it's addictive searching for all the tracks!).

Peel introduced me to punk in it's infancy. I remember him playing the Ramones and thinking 'Feck, what was that?!?!

Reggae too...I'd never really heard 'proper' reggae until I started listening to Peel.

Most post-punk bands owe their careers to Peel, especially the more experimental ones.

Plus his was the only programme that played a mates bands first single way back whn!
 Steve Parker 22 May 2007
Anyone remember that Radio Luxembourg was the first place you got any decent amount of Punk on the radio? I think there was a 2 hour show on Sunday nights or something, and they played every Punk single from very early on - before Peel, IIRC. That show was a little haven of Punk Rock.

Whatever happened to Radio Luxembourg? Is it still going?
grumpytramp 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

John Peel introduced me the most perfect three minutes of popular music, Teenage Kicks

skeev 22 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Talullah Gosh!
 marie 22 May 2007
In reply to Steve Parker: I used to love listening to Radio Luxembourg!

Nah, they opted to shut down (I forget the reason) - whilst Chris Moyles was there IIRC
 bluebrad 22 May 2007
In reply to marie:

> Nah, they opted to shut down (I forget the reason) - whilst Chris Moyles was there IIRC

It was probably because Chris Moyles was there in the first place that the took the option of shutting down - think of it as a radio station mercy killing. 8-)

bluebrad

JLS 23 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

John Peel's Festive Fifty 1979...

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/festive50lists.htm#1979
 JLS 23 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

I notice that seems to be the year you were born!
 Mike Peacock 23 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

James Yorkston and the Athletes (after he played Tender to the Blues)

Kid 606
 Sankey 23 May 2007
In reply to bluebrad:

Bizarre but true: John Peel quite liked Chris Moyles (prob not his radio show though)

I thank him for Hefner + Mogwai and personally for
reading a email out that I sent him about Molybdenum (he did ask for it!)
 220bpm 23 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

White Stripes for me.

Plus his Fabric 07 session Cd, awesome!
 dominic_s 23 May 2007
In reply to 220bpm:
ivor cutler
flaming lips
the cuban boys
the fall (like the rest of the world)
 David Peters 23 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Fish heads, fish heads
roly poly fish heads
fish heads, fish heads
eat them up, yum

You'll never guess the band name
 CJD 23 May 2007
In reply to Sankey:

ohhhh, Hefner! yes, me too.

and Explosions in the Sky.
 AB 23 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:
New Fast Automatic Daffodils
 dominic_s 23 May 2007
In reply to David Peters: barnes and barnes?
mydogsgotalimp 23 May 2007
In reply to dominic_s: half man half biscuit
 pdhu 23 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:
> I'm sure we all have someone that that dour genius introduced us to....
>
Hefner, Mogwai, Bonnie Prince Billy
>
> Happy days, or nights even

Hardly!

prana 23 May 2007
In reply to dominic_s: ahh, the genius of ivor. tried to find life in a scotch sittingroom, but this'll do
youtube.com/watch?v=0x9OVIuboy4&
 Blue Straggler 23 May 2007
In reply to dominic_s:
> (In reply to David Peters) barnes and barnes?

Danger, Will Robinson!
 CJD 23 May 2007
In reply to prana:

ohhh, wonderful Ivor Cutler - I think my favourite one of his that I've heard is the one about sitting on the top of the world with his little black buzzer beside him, going dit dit dit dit dit dit da dit dit, dit dit dit da daaaa...
Kev on the road 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:
For me it is Hefner heard them do a live set for him a few years ago and went straight out to get there cd.
Unfortunately i couldn't find it until i went to the US.
 Thrudge 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

John Peel played no end of great music and I've got years of entertainment to thank him for - The Fall, 12 Rounds, and PJ Harvey spring to mind, but there's loads. Great dry wit as well; "There's no text at all on the label of this next record, so I just call it The Bimina-bimina Song". And the song starts and a mad vocalist goes BIMINA-BIMINA-BIMINA-BIMINA! Yep, that'll be The Bimina-bimina Song, then.
 Fiend 26 May 2007
In reply to Dominion:

> He didn't play any tracks off our first EP, that's all I can say.

Yep, all pretty thankful for that I'm sure.

In reply to the OP:

What an excellent thread! Obviously like most people I've been introduced to much great music through John Peel. I've restricted my list below to artists / acts I got really into and started buying lots of, following hearing them on Peely:

Indie: Nirvana (before they were famous), PJ Harvey (before she was famous), Babes In Toyland

Death Metal: Bolt Thrower, Carcass

Gabber / Breakcore: Ultraviolence, Digital Hardcore Records, Ec8or

Drum'n'bass: Panacea, Under Fire Records, Influential Records, Calyx, Teebee, Klute (incidentally the last ever track he played was a Klute track)

Techno / Trance / etc: Lab 4, Turbulent Force, Dave Clarke, Laurie Immersion / Dave The Drummer / The Liberators
 Paul Atkinson 26 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: nowt to do with Peely but having come over all nostalgic gentlemen of a certain age may like to recall this

youtube.com/watch?v=s3WE0RiWvi0&
Pacific 27 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Shut up and Dance
Stump
Tangerine Dream
The Wedding Present

All good stuff !
Graham 27 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

The Chameleons.

G
pixieboots 27 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: the pixies
 JLS 28 May 2007
In reply to Pacific:

>"Stump"

How much is that fish?
Does the fish have chips?

Classic lines...
superfurrymonkey 28 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:
Half man half biscuit, Ffa Coffi Pawb.
superfurrymonkey 28 May 2007
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Pacific)
>
> >"Stump"
>
> How much is that fish?
> Does the fish have chips?
>
> Classic lines...

God those lyrics have just taken me right back, I`d totally forgotten about stump and have just dumped my old tape collection all over my living groom floor.
Richard G. Carter 28 May 2007
Tangerine Dream !

wowsers, that brings back a few memories of streethawk, the awesome 80's tv show! (the 2nd best motorcycle tv show after CHiPS obviously!)
bergalia 28 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: Possibly John Woodcock Graves who is said to have written the words to the original hunting song 'Dae ye ken John Peel...' in the early 1800's. All subsequent John Peels are fake....
Mr Rain 28 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

To thank him for being John Peel, the great radio presenter
Pacific 28 May 2007
In reply to superfurrymonkey:

Buffalo video here:

youtube.com/watch?v=e-PmQ3dFQvs&
Pacific 28 May 2007
 Blue Straggler 28 May 2007
In reply to Richard G. Carter:
> Tangerine Dream !
>
> wowsers, that brings back a few memories of streethawk, the awesome 80's tv show!

You must have been 3 or 4 when that went off the air. Which might explain why you think it was "awesome"

prana 28 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: Dreadzone (their early stuff anyway)
gourd 28 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

If no-one else has mentioned it you should track down the history of Radio 1 book written around the 90's era. Brilliant John Peel 'quotes'.
 S Andrew 28 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

FSOL
Einsturzende Neubaten

and of course

Cirith Gorgor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...