UKC

Tripod recomendations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 08 Sep 2007
I have finally discovered that my cheap Jessops tripod is not up to the job on breezey days with low shutter speeds.

Any recomendations for a sturdy jobbie would be most appreciated.

Cheers
 dek 08 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming: You wont like the price!!..but a Gitzo carbon fibre is the mutts, or even a Manfrotto carbon fibre, both are very light, dead rigid and a pleasure to use!
 Blue Straggler 08 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

Some Uni-Loc bollocks leg set for about £110, and some sort of Manfrotto bollocks ball head for about £50. That's what I have (and use about once every 24 months)

Or just learn how to hold a camera. How breezy do you mean? Get a faster lens.
 Richard Carter 08 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

manfrotto 055 series is pretty good and i'd heartily reccomend one.
the metal version is actually more stable than the carbon version so get that one! strange but true. also a sneaky tip is, try and find the 'manfrotto 055 view tripod'. it doesnt have the crazy spider thing on top which can cause a little instability with some heads, hard to source though. my friend has one and a regular 055 and he seems to think its a fair bit better.

my opinion of a tripod is that if you're going to use one you might as well use the best one possible. i have a big heavy one designed for super-telephots and its 110% totally awesome. but unless you're shooting large teles theres probably not much point spending too much on one
In reply to The Lemming:

you coming on the 15th?
In reply to The Lemming:

http://www.adorama.com/BG055V.html

thats the one i'd recommend for general use. if you're staying at 200mm or less with the occassional 300mm it should be fine.
OP The Lemming 08 Sep 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>

>
> Or just learn how to hold a camera. How breezy do you mean? Get a faster lens.

Tere was a fairly stiff breeze blowing off the coast last night and I'd say it was about 10-15mph minimum causing most of my Firework photos to have a lot of shake.

At the time I hung a sig bottle full of water off the hook at the bottom of the tripod but it was just too damb windy however I do take your point about how often I would use a tripod.

OP The Lemming 08 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
>
> you coming on the 15th?

Sorry can't play even though I really want to. Its the other half's birthday and its expected that I devote one day of the year to Non-Me things.

Some would say that she was being inconsiderate but, over all, one day in 365 isn't too bad,
 Dr Avid 08 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming: Manfrotto 055 tripod, manfrotto 488 ball head was the best combo i could come up with that didnt cost an absolute fortune. Only downside is it weighs quite a lot. Its what I have, and I would buy it again.

If money no object, Gitzo mountaineer and an Arca tech head. Very light and stable and ridiculously expensive. Gear for pros and show offs
 dek 08 Sep 2007
In reply to Dr Avid:

> If money no object, Gitzo mountaineer and an Arca tech head. Very light and stable and ridiculously expensive. Gear for pros and show offs
Expensive if bought 'new', How do you 'show off' with a tripod ffs?!
For what its worth, the above copes with all formats up to 300 on 35mm and takes with a bit of care a LF setup. The 055 does that as well, but weighs a ton, so it sits gathering dust!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...