UKC

NEWS: Hugh Herr Invents Award-Winning Foot-Ankle Prostheses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 08 Nov 2007
When Hugh Herr was 17 he got severe frostbite in both legs in an accident on New Hampshire's Mount Washington. He and his partner Jeff Batzer were lost for three days in a blizzard. Batzer didn't make it and Herr had his legs amputated below the knee. His doctors told him that he would never climb a...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
Serpico 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
"the best inventions of the year along with the iPhone and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The criteria being that the inventions will change people's lives; "

If an iPhone changes your life, just how much of a life did you have to start with?
 Chris F 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Serpico: It gives the owners a massive feeling of deluded self-importance?
And a boeing 787, which changes peoples lives in what way, compared to a 747? Is it an invention or a development?

The leg is amazing though. I know a guy who lost his leg just below the hip and he has got one of these "intelligent" legs, which is a massive improvement.
 Lemony 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Blimey, that's quite cool. Does anyone have a photo of the prosthesis he uses for climbing?
OP Michael Ryan 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Lemony:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Blimey, that's quite cool. Does anyone have a photo of the prosthesis he uses for climbing?

More here: http://www.climbingwashington.com/features/walkinthepark3.htm

Serpico 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Chris F:

> And a boeing 787, which changes peoples lives in what way, compared to a 747?
>
Now everyone can have a bigger carbon footprint.

Lemony 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Cheers, the phrase "Hugh grinds his feet super thin for his attempt on City Park" makes my toes curl slightly...
 Jon Read 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
'king hero!
 duncan 08 Nov 2007
 Mystery Toad 08 Nov 2007
In reply to duncan:

I've seen Hugh on telly; some years back but they showed the interchangable climbing feet. Does he ice climb?
MIT has some of the best departments in the world.
Aint easy to get into, but to teach there? phew. That really impresses me. And makes me thirsty
(to waitress) Two more coffees please!
 graeme jackson 08 Nov 2007
In reply to Serpico:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> "the best inventions of the year along with the iPhone and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Neither of these will change my life as I'll never use them.
 Rob Platt 10 Nov 2007
In reply to graeme jackson:
> (In reply to Serpico)
> [...]
>
> Neither of these will change my life as I'll never use them.
I hope to never need any of them
All the best
Rob
ps
saw him on discovery credit were credit`s due

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...