UKC

Best start to a winter season in how long?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wee Davie 05 Dec 2008

Well?
Fauvé 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Wee Davie:

another tedious thread about the degrees of winter.

"I think its the best so far in sooo long"

"you're wrong, 10 years ago it was better"

"No, it will be better in February"

How about, who cares as long as you enjoy it?

Is there a need to justify or agree about it with other people, or just another "I must post to satisfy my own curiosity, but if someone doesn't agree with me, I'll argue my point" thread?
OP Wee Davie 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Fauvé:

Thanks for that.
From afar it looks like one of the best for about 10 years? No?
Do I have the wrong impression or not?
Fauvé 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Wee Davie:

Glenmorangie and moronic early marne sarcasm (for which I apologise) how do you come by this impression?
Removed User 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Fauvé:

Probably something to do with not being there and life's a bitch!
Fauvé 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User:

Life is only a bitch if you choose it to be.

It's an easy excuse for under achievement and regret
 Only a hill 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Wee Davie:
Not sure, but it's certainly the best start for the past few years, since I started winter climbing. I'm having a LOT of fun!

Yours
Alex
(Packing his bag for the Aonach Eagach as he types this =)
 SonyaD 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Wee Davie: Well, dunno about climbing wise cos I'm only in to my 3rd winter season (but this has been best so far) but this is the 1st time that snow has stayed on the ground at low level for more than 24hrs, here in Edzell, for about 8yrs.
Sod's law eh
 andymoin 05 Dec 2008
In reply to SonyaD: Best since I started winter climbing about 5 years back. Cant remember better since my child hood and sking down corie na ciste in early December. Seams we had good whether patterns coming in with snow and melt abit instead of snow and strip. Hope it keeps it up for the rest of the season.
 LakesWinter 05 Dec 2008
In reply to SonyaD: I reckon it is the best start since 1996/7 for there being a lot of snow and frequent cold spells. It's a shame I can't get out for 2 weeks...
 SonyaD 05 Dec 2008
In reply to MattG: You still coming up? Havn't got my dates over new year sorted yet, try and do that this eve!
 LakesWinter 05 Dec 2008
In reply to SonyaD: yeah, I should be coming the weekend before christmas and then for that week I emailed you about afterwards. I'll be in touch nearer the time when we know what conditions are.
 Erik B 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Wee Davie: it isnt as good a start as that season we did job seekers, remember how good the nick was in november?!

could this be a bumper scottish ski season? hope its not a nasty season like that one when 20 odd folk died in avalanches in the 90's
 riquet 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Erik B:
Too right Erik... it's good, (in fact as good as i've known in this country) but let's not get overexcited and complacent.

More snow = more avalanche potential. I was surprised at how quickly scarp slopes got loaded last Mon. It reminded me, albeit on a much smaller scale, of my native Alps and wee alarm bells that I hadn't heard in 6 years started to ring big time.

Wee Davie:
I'm not sure how long it will last, and it looks set for at least another week... but the flip side of the coin is that we are NOT as tanned as our expat brown nut-ter Go DWS and grin in the sun my lad.

Sean Bell 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Wee Davie: Just noticed your in Bermuda.Like the DWS pics.. Is there lots to go at? Ive got the chance to go over as my mate Bruce has worked over there for a few years now, hes not a climber but will probably be well known in the boozers.I hadnt really seen the attraction before but if theres climbing that may swing the holiday for me..
Aye, this season seems to be off to a good start.Ive either been working or too ill to get out, pleanty time to go though.You getting hame for some routes?cheers sean
 Heike 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Wee Davie:

Don't know how long, but it's good! Can't remember ever having done that many routes by the start of December!
OP Wee Davie 05 Dec 2008
In reply to Erik B:

>it isnt as good a start as that season we did job seekers, remember how good the nick was in november?!

Aye, mate. I think that was '96 or '97?
'Blootered' is the best word for it! I think that also might have been the year me and Andy did Eas Anie in such good nick I'm not sure I'll see it that way again...
OP Wee Davie 05 Dec 2008
In reply to SeanB:

>Like the DWS pics.. Is there lots to go at? Ive got the chance to go over....

There is quite a bit of DWS to go at in Admiralty Park where Clarence Cove & Hogfish Bay are. Maybe 20 or so routes starting from about 6B+ ish. Some real belters include Atlantis, Lara Croft and Night Dive.
Dr Evil is responsible for 99.9% of the development in Bermuda so far. He's been a one man new- routing machine.
There is a climbing wall here in town but seemingly nobody had ever tried to climb outdoors here until he started exploring c. 2002.
Bermuda has quite a lot of crags and at least half haven't been properly looked at yet. For the DWS on the wee islands you need to get hold of a boat and so far we have only looked at two or 3 of them on a boozy day trip.
DWS is a summer thing here as the heat & humidity is too intense to sport climb.
Now it's turned to Winter the temps have dropped (along with the humidity) and we are developing Sport climbs on a good new crag called Tsunami Wall.
Have a look at the wiki on www.evilpics.co.uk
If you fancy coming out and having a shot, let us know when you will be here and we will show you round. : )
 Duggers71 06 Dec 2008
In reply to Fauvé: I'm taking the value out of wine but that's enough for me tonight. Must go to bed and get up and see if the snow is the same as last year!!! I do like the Ardbeg though...shall i have a night cap?
 DaveHK 07 Dec 2008
In reply to Wee Davie:

Best start to a winter season in how long?

Shhh. You'll spoil it!
In reply to DaveHK: Already did, it's all melting

Hopefully whatever survives freezes hard and we get some decent conditions out of it!
 Only a hill 07 Dec 2008
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr) Already did, it's all melting
>
> Hopefully whatever survives freezes hard and we get some decent conditions out of it!

That is also my hope ... I think we have all been spoiled, what with snow on the mountains for about ten days solid. =)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...