UKC

NEWS: Problems at Craig Y Forwyn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 08 Jan 2009
Local newspaper The Daily Post reports a police investigation in to vegetation removal at Craig y Forwyn, North Wales.

The crag was recently declared 'open' by the BMC following a ban of twenty years.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=01&year=2009#n45545
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Jan 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Nice one - I guess we had it back for a few weeks ;-(

Chris
 Dave Garnett 08 Jan 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I hope this isn't what it looks like. Surely there were some ground rules put in place and agreed about gardening?
 Tyler 08 Jan 2009

FFS Jack, you live in N. Wales don't you? I can understand the Daily Post doing a slip shod reporting job and not bothering to contact the BMC or anyone but don't see why you need to do a shoddy job of reporting, second hand, this non-story. It was discussed here a few days ago, Mike Raine commented on it and there's no more to say on the matter, really. What next? Are we going to get a report on Ron Fawcett sensationally putting two bolts in North Stack Wall?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=335545
OP Jack Geldard 08 Jan 2009
In reply to Tyler: I have been in touch with the BMC. It's not a non-story. Trees have been cut down. The police have been looking in to it. And yes, the next news item is Big Ron in North Stack Bolt Shocker.

From the North Wales Limestone Wiki:

"NO GARDENING DURING JANUARY PLEASE WHILST WRITTEN PERMISSION IS OBTAINED"

More people read the news page than forum threads, but thanks for linking to the other thread.

Jack

Tyler 08 Jan 2009

Fair enough, but at the same time as Mick is on another thread defending the right of UKC to add comment to news items (something I agree with) you are reporting wholesale a prejudicial and out of date report from a paper. Why not get some quotes from Mike, why not include the comment about no gardening in the report? Thats the import part of this 'story'
OP Jack Geldard 08 Jan 2009
In reply to Tyler: Yes that's a very good idea. I have added that quote in.

Cheers,

Jack
 toad 08 Jan 2009
In reply to Tyler: What is the CCW position on gardening here, I'm suprised they consented to any at all.
 Tyler 08 Jan 2009
In reply to toad:

I guess this is all part of an ongoing dialogue,the BMC will know specifics.
 Mike Raine 08 Jan 2009

Aaaargh, I wish you had just left that awful newspaper piece to rot. No climbers are being prosecuted for "cutting down trees" Yes some small saplings have been cleared at the base of the crag to allow access, access is now good. We have had verbal permission to clear ivy and cottoneaster from the routes but as the site is a SSSI this needs to be confirmed in writing, Guy Keating is on the case.

The unhelpful landowner at the base of the crag is contesting the ownership of the central section of the crag, a statement will appear on the BMC website this afternoon
In reply to Mike Raine:

The statement will be on the BMC website this afternoon or tomorrow AM, we're just having a minor technical issue with RAD at present.
 Mike Raine 08 Jan 2009

Seee BMC website, statement there now
Tony Ryan, BMC 08 Jan 2009

Craig y Forwyn – change to access situation

Since the announcement of a new access agreement last month new information has come to light and the access situation at Craig y Forwyn has changed.

See the latest news on the BMC website for full details of the revised access arrangement - http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=2913

BMC CEO Dave Turnbull said, ‘It was great to see Craig y Forwyn re-opened in early December and it’s a real shame that we’ve had to announce this change in the access arrangements. It’s been a moving feast over the last couple of weeks and until the ownership of the central section of the crag is resolved we felt we had no option but to advise people that there is no access agreement for climbing on the central section. Craig y Forwyn is an outstanding limestone crag and we will continue doing what we can to improve the access situation for climbers’.
 Simon 08 Jan 2009
In reply to Tony Ryan, BMC:

Good work chaps...

si

Absolutely unbelievable that some of the things on Mike Reeve's blog need saying, but presumably they do.

So this chap who owns the caravan park is still the same fellow who's been refusing access all along, but it's just turned out that he doesn't own the whole crag, is that right?

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...