UKC

Elbow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Peters 16 Feb 2009
Ok, so I have listened to Seldom Seen Kid and I like it, (obviously among the ukc cognoscenti this will immediately label me as a musical pleb) so what next? They have a fairly substantial back catalogue so which one should I invest my hard earned pennies in ?

Your opinions appreciated (but not the inevitable ones telling me what terrible musical taste I have )
 The Pylon King 16 Feb 2009
In reply to David Peters:

My wife bought 'Asleep in the back' in 2001 and i seem to remember that being a pretty good album.
 Bob Hughes 16 Feb 2009
In reply to David Peters: Leaders of the Free World is a great album. To my mind, it's slightly better than Cast of Thousands.

If you like Elbow, you might also like I am Kloot. Check out Gods and Monsters.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 16 Feb 2009

Leaders of the Free World got me into Elbow a couple of years ago.

As good as Seldom Seen Kid imo.

Neil
 leonjones 16 Feb 2009

Another vote for Asleep in the Back. Excellent album, marginally better than Leaders of the Free World IMHO.
 Dom Whillans 16 Feb 2009
asleep in the back is an absolute belter. powder blue an amazing tune, that i'm about to have to put on...
 EricpAndrew 16 Feb 2009
the back catalogue is all excellent, seldom seen kid is the only one to get much recognition though, and isnt (arguably) any better than the previous stuff
dinkypen 16 Feb 2009

I am watching this thread with great interest having only just discovered Elbow and very much liking what I have heard so far
 Simon 16 Feb 2009
In reply to Bob Hughes:
> (In reply to David Peters) Leaders of the Free World is a great album. To my mind, it's slightly better than Cast of Thousands.
>

I agree - COT is good though.

Asleep in the back is a great debut album - get all of them - there's nuggets of gold on them all.

Can't wait to see them in 2 weeks!!

si
 Chris F 17 Feb 2009
In reply to dinkypen: They are all good, get the previous 3 (about a fiver each), but not all at once - or you will OD!
 Andy Hudson 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to Bob Hughes)

>
> Can't wait to see them in 2 weeks!!

Me neither,
Saw them in Manchester and they were superb

Simon 17 Feb 2009
In reply dinks:

I think with COT - its a grower as the songs are not so immeadiate as LOFW & AITB - some are quite purposfully bleak & deep. Try to listen to it in its own right rather than against the others if you can.

si
 Dom Whillans 17 Feb 2009
i'd also recommend you get on to guy garvey's finest hour show - sunday nights 22:00-00:00 on 6 Music. Great tunes played, just ignore guy's shameless showbiz name-dropping (although even that is kind of endearing).
 Simon 02 Mar 2009
In reply to Dom Whillans:

Looking forward to the gig in Sheff Tuesday night! (Tomorow!)

;0)

Simon 05 Mar 2009
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Tuesdays Gig was the best I've seen in 7 years - truly awesome - the venue was way too small for what they could fill in Sheff - but they absolutely bloody blew the doors off!

Si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...