UKC

ANDY CAVE Lecture Tour AUTUMN 09

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Rebecca Varley 30 Aug 2009
premier post photo
This Autumn, Andy Cave bringing his best-selling book Learning to Breathe alive with a series of lectures at 13 venues around the UK.

Andy Cave is a figurehead for British Mountaineering, with more than 20 years of desperate routes to his name. Aged just 20, he became one of the youngest mountaineers ever to climb the North Face of the Eiger at that time, an achievement made all the more remarkable as just 4 years earlier Andy was working 3000 feet underground at Grimethorpe Colliery in South Yorkshire.

Andy’s story of transition from Yorkshire coal miner to one of the UK’s best climbers is a gripping and compelling tale. Aged 21, Andy cashed in his miners' pension and went to Asia for five months with Joe Simpson, beginning on his quest to seek out new routes and dedicate his life to mountaineering. His talk is a mix of his experiences of the 1984-85 miner's strike and his early mountaineering trips culminating in his traumatic expedition to the perilous North Face of Changabang in the Himalayas in 1997 - an expedition in which his climbing partner paid the ultimate price and which forced Andy to question his decision to become a mountaineer.

DATES & VENUES

For links to each venues box office to book online, please visit http://www.speakersfromtheedge.com/events/andy-cave-tour-autumn-09

Please note booking fees may apply with online bookings.

SEPTEMBER

Fri 25 Galeri CAERNARFON 01286 685222
Sat 26 Theatr Harlech HARLECH 01766 780667

OCTOBER

Tues 6 Middlesbrough Theatre MIDDLESBROUGH 01642 81 51 81
Mon 12 Town Hall LOUGHBOROUGH 01509 231 914
Wed 14 Borough Theatre ABERGAVENNY 01873 850805
Tues 20 Epsom Playhouse EPSOM 01372 742555
Wed 21 Dearne Playhouse BARNSLEY 01709 894128
Thurs 22 King George's Hall BLACKBURN 0844 847 1664
Fri 23 Theatr Mwldan CARDIGAN 01239 621200

NOVEMBER

Wed 4 Pavilion Theatre RHYL 01745 330000
Fri 6 Albert Halls BOLTON 01204 334400
Fri 13 Festival Theatre PITLOCHRY 01796 484626

DECEMBER

Wed 2 The Lowry SALFORD 0870 787 5790

gethin_allen 30 Aug 2009
In reply to rebecca varley: What! no date in sheffield
Rebecca Varley 30 Aug 2009
In reply to gethin_allen:

You could travel to the far flung planet of Barnsley?!
 Caralynh 30 Aug 2009
In reply to rebecca varley:

No Midlands venues either??? (and I mean West Mids, not Loughborough!)
Not one there that I can travel to
 beardy mike 31 Aug 2009
In reply to Caralynr: Or southern!
In reply to mike kann:

Any one been to one of his talks when he is a main speaker... went to llanberis mountain film festival and he struggled abit but that may have been as he was the last person on and it'd been a long day.

Loved his books
Rebecca Varley 03 Sep 2009
In reply to gethin_allen: ...and also no Sheffield date because we will be doing a one-nighter with Ian Parnell and Andy Kirkpatrick in October in Sheffield - should be a good night - details coming soon.
 Shad 03 Sep 2009
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): Yeah, I saw him in Barnsley library doing a talk, he was excellent. He seemed modest but witty. He arrived a few minutes late, having arrived straight from the Peak for a climb. Nice one.
 Big Steve 03 Sep 2009
In reply to rebecca varley: Thats a real nationwide tour
Rebecca Varley 04 Sep 2009
In reply to Big Steve: No clearly its not, Andy C has a lot on this autumn, which is why at the top of the post, he is billed as doing a series of talks with us, not a big UK wide tour!
 Flicka 06 Sep 2009
> (In reply to gethin_allen) ...and also no Sheffield date because we will be doing a one-nighter with Ian Parnell and Andy Kirkpatrick in October in Sheffield - should be a good night - details coming soon.

Hurrah!!
gaucho 09 Sep 2009
What no date in the outer hebridies on the 3rd weds in November between 10 and 11:27 am?
 mr mills 16 Sep 2009

Looking foreward to seeing Andy at Y Galeri Caernarfon on the 25th, should be good
kezecuk 17 Sep 2009
I'm going to see him in Harlech, didn't even realise there was a theatre there! Has anyone been there or going?
 francoisecall 18 Sep 2009
In reply to rebecca varley: London?
Rebecca Varley 18 Sep 2009
In reply to francoisecall: Andy is doing a talk at the RGS on 19th October and at another venue in London in November I think (not organised by us) so that pretty much covers London.
 lps 23 Sep 2009
In reply to francoisecall:
> (In reply to rebecca varley) London?

good to see london being boycotted. it gets everything else. good to see that the countries "arse end of nowheres" gets the lectures!!

i'll try and make one if the missus lets me.
 Clogwyn y Gwin 23 Sep 2009
In reply to kezecuk: Going to see him in Caernarfon. The theatre in Harlech is ok. enjoy.
 nickstephens 29 Sep 2009

That's a shame. I really fancied watching Andy Cave's talk. The itinerary is a little to northern for my meagre budget. Are there any plans for some of the other speakers to head southwards over the next few months?
jackcarr 29 Sep 2009
In reply to nickstephens:

I was wondering the same thing! I'm just north of London. Seeing Andy would be great, guess I'll have to wait for a bigger tour. Would love to know if any climbers are heading south soon though.
Rebecca Varley 30 Sep 2009
In reply to jackcarr: Hi, I hear Epsom in Surrey is not all that Northern? Just south of London? Mr KP will be doing a big tour next year.

Cheers,

Rebecca
jackcarr 30 Sep 2009

Yeah I know where it is! Its not overly difficult to get there for me, half way around the M25 really, would just prefer north/central London thats all!
 nickstephens 01 Oct 2009

Cool, if we are doing requests. Can the tour be diverted slightly west towards the west country
Rebecca Varley 02 Oct 2009
In reply to nickstephens: He came to Taunton last time - how's that for you?!

nickstephens 03 Oct 2009

Would be nice if he was coming down to Taunton this time
 KarlH 17 Oct 2009

I was going to see him in Epsom but tickets are £16.50 each which has priced me out of it. I've seen a few speakers on lecture tours and this seems to be expensive in comparison. Is this the same price elsewhere or is the theatre marking tickets up?
In reply to rebecca varley: Went to see Andy in Abergavenny, and was very impressed. The Changabang section alone is worth it, and the slideshows ANdy had prepared were really inspiring. Top notch stuff. Looking forward to seeing Ian Parnell again in December now!
 Jim Hamilton 18 Oct 2009
In reply to KarlH:

don't forget rebecca's mark-up.
Rebecca Varley 19 Oct 2009
In reply to KarlH: Hi I'm afraid the theatres choose the ticket price, based on what they sell other lectures at. If a group of you from a local club/wall would like to go, give me a shout and I will see if I can get you a group discount.

Cheers

Rebecca
 climber_medic 28 Oct 2009

I saw Andy at the Mawldan theatre in Cardigan last Friday and it was extremely inspiring. I also got my books signed and had a chat with this really understated guy.

L Taylor 08 Nov 2009

Not coming to Aberdeen either
 Dee 08 Nov 2009
In reply to rebecca varley: Enjoyed his lecture in Rhyl on Wednesday - very good value too! Recommended!
Speakers from the Edge 29 Nov 2009
In reply to rebecca varley: Last chance to see Andy Cave before Christmas with his Learning to Breathe talk - he will be at The Lowry in Salford on Wed 2nd December.
Speakers from the Edge 30 Nov 2009
In reply to rebecca varley: You can no longer book tickets online for Andy's talk at The Lowry as the stalls are sold out but there are still seats available in the circle - you need to book via telephone on 0843 208600 or buy tickets on the door on the night.
 plastichead 02 Dec 2009
I've got a spare ticket for this tonight if you want it, please call me on 07740447826, Mark

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...