UKC

VIDEO: Biggest Dyno In The World?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 04 Jul 2010
Skyler Weeks jumps 2.85m to break his own World Dyno record at the POD Sacs Dyno Competition, Cliffhanger - 3 July 2010. This is the fourth year on the trot that he has broken the record at Cliffhanger in Sheffield.

And he is there tomorrow to try and beat yesterdays record.

Video here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=254
 Andy S 04 Jul 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: nah surely my mate's dyno still stands as the biggest. Can't see it ever being broken

youtube.com/watch?v=xx5Y1H8bqjQ&
 Andy S 04 Jul 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: he made it look so easy! I'm sure he can go higher
 JLS 04 Jul 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

So what's the longest dyno on a recorded route/problem on real rock?
 simon kimber 04 Jul 2010
In reply to JLS:
Possibly this by Dave Gater in Daone. 254cm?

vimeo.com/12847970
 Derek O 04 Jul 2010

Its a bit like holding the WR for extreme ironing - something pracitcally no one does!
 The Pylon King 04 Jul 2010

WR for Jumping in a marquee

@ndyM@rsh@ll 04 Jul 2010
In reply to Derek O: Oh yeah, cos there aren't thousands of world records more pointless than this, this is definately the worst offender. How many people regularly take baths in beans except for prople who try to break the world record for the biggest bean bath?
 candicegallab 05 Jul 2010
In reply to simon kimber:

that may be on real rock, but thats no less pointless.
OP Michael Ryan 05 Jul 2010

'Like all sports, climbing is the pursuit of a useless objective for amusement, diversion or fun.'

Simon Thompson

You could argue the relative uselessness of a particular activity in climbing, and indeed that is often what keeps these forums going...

....trad is better than bouldering, indoor climbing isn't real climbing, that winter route isn't a winter route, sport climbing is for wimps (or is neither)......etc etc....

It was a good weekend at Cliffhanger.

I enjoyed witnessing the climbing skill and athleticism of all the competitors in the bouldering competition and dyno competition.

I found it very motivating and everyone appeared to be having fun.

Mick
 flaneur 05 Jul 2010
In reply to Andy S:

> ...he made it look so easy! I'm sure he can go higher

Isn't he the Sergey Bubka of climbing?

He knows he is going to win and knows he can jump further than he does in competitions. It's more lucrative for him to increase the record just a little each time to maximise the number of world record bonuses he earns rather than go all out and smash the record but then never improve further.
OP Michael Ryan 05 Jul 2010
In reply to flaneur:
> (In reply to Andy S)
>
> [...]
>
> Isn't he the Sergey Bubka of climbing?
>
> It's more lucrative for him to increase the record just a little each time to maximise the number of world record bonuses

What are these bonuses you speak of?

The guy pays his costs to get to the UK. I think he makes £200 after expenses each trip Matt Heason told me.

Lucrative business, eh?

www.cliff-hanger.co.uk 05 Jul 2010

There's been £1,000 up for grabs at the dyno comp at CH each year (donated this year by POD Sacks). That's split as follows:

£250 per day for the winning man and winning woman. Skyler has to jump twice to earn his money!

Next year we're planning to offer prizes for 2nd and 3rd too.

MattH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...