UKC

Rucsac that meets carry on baggage requirements ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jugpuller 08 Aug 2010
Can anyone suggest a rucsac that definitely meets the size requirements for carry on airline baggage ?

I have googled a few , including the Lowe Alpine but at present words like "..most airlines" are a bit unsettling. Personal experiences would be most welcome !
mountainmate 08 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller: Not sure if it fits the exact spec re HxWxD but I've used my Deuter 35+ as hand luggage on both Ryanair and Easyjet recently without any problems.
 thin bob 08 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller: i *think* a talon 44 does, as long as you don't overpack it. Don't forget some airlines have different sizes....
 Hannes 08 Aug 2010
In reply to thin bob:
> (In reply to jugpuller) i *think* a talon 44 does, as long as you don't overpack it. Don't forget some airlines have different sizes....

I thought they all had 55x45x25 cm, bear in mid that especially ryanair have gotten quite nazi about the hand luggage and that you aren't allowed to have your camera as a separate bag any longer
 nniff 08 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller:

My 50 litre Aiguille Alpine rucsace fits in the gauge, jammed full, as long as the top pocket is empty and the draw cord can be pulled in a bit. The size allowance is actually very generous in litre terms - about 60
 Nigel Modern 08 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller: If you can still get the Mammut Flight 28 that's a cert but anything around 30L or even 35 if not overpacked should get on OK
 Ross McGibbon 08 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller:
Lowe Alpine TT Carry On 40 is a travel style rucksac. It fits 'most' carry on requrements. I make a point of not filling it to the top - then I can fold down the top 5 cm to make it fit the size gauges if it is a small one.
It fits more than I need - did a 4 week tour of India with one.
I got the missus one so we could have his and hers luggage in different colours - very chi-chi!

The main thing is the sac needs to be as light as possible or it eats into the max carry-on weight.

I reckon there is a market for a suitcase / rucksac with rigid sides made from a light plastic that is exactly the size of a smaller carry-on allowance. That way you could really squish stuff in.
 Edvin m 08 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller: Just measured my Crux AK47-X, without the lid it's just 55cm long as long as the bottom isn't "hanging" down much.
 Edvin m 08 Aug 2010
In reply to Edvin m: Oh.. and it's a size two, don't think the bigger size 3 would get through
 nniff 09 Aug 2010
In reply to Edvin m:

Often, it's the length of the backstay that is the problem, but a medium length back at about the 55cm mark just fits nicely with its curves.

One of the reasons I particularly like Easyjet is that there is no cabin baggage weight restriction.
tenkian 09 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller:
Different airlines have slightly different cabin baggage restrictions... always best to check which airline you intend to fly with first, and not take the mic with a beefy looking bag
 trish1968 09 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller: I've used my Berghaus 45 a few times as hand luggage on Ryan Air
 Simon Caldwell 10 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller:
I've taken my OMM Villain on loads of different airlines (including ryanair) with no problems. I'd have thought that any similar sized rucksack would be OK - a possible exception might be macpacs which seem to be taller and thinner for the same volume.
 Morgan Woods 10 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller:

i use a Mammut 45 litre pack all the time but maybe they don't mess with me because it has the words "Extreme" written on the side.
 GrahamD 10 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller:

I've used my Macpac pursuit as hand baggage on Ryan Air. The trick is how you pack it so that it stays flat enough to fit the template.
 Kid Spatula 10 Aug 2010
In reply to jugpuller:

Ryanair I usually get away with a 45 litre easily, on an Easyjet flight I can get away with a Mountain Hardwear Directissima 50+10 so long as the top pocket isn't full and the compression straps are pulled tightish.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...