UKC

Font road trip at easter good idea/bad idea?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 becdent 04 Feb 2011
Hi,

Im planning a trip to Font for the week over easter (so arriving easter weekend up until the friday 29th April probably). One of my friends will be flying out to join me for a few days but because I wanted to go for a week I thought Id just drive (from glasgow)so I could take the boulder mats and also so we'd have transport once out there.

Ive never been to font so wanted to ask is that a good time to go as in how busy it will be? and is it too much of a mission to go from scotland (although I dont mind the driving and will make stop overs).

Oh if anyone wants a lift as Im passing to Font I drive an estate car so have room : )

Thanks
 lummox 04 Feb 2011
In reply to becdent: We drive down from Leeds to Font at Easter most years and have never had a problem camping- book ferries/eurostar well in advance and you can get costs down. Weather is always a gamble but only had one real write off in c.15 trips. The honeyspots like Bas can be very busy but the forest is a big place- enjoy !
 remus Global Crag Moderator 04 Feb 2011
In reply to becdent: It's a pretty good time to go. It'll probably be a bit busier than average as school holidays are around that time, though it is a massive place so finding a secluded spot won't be hard.

Weather can be a bit variable at that time of year, though i wouldnt worry about it especially.

Its about 3-4 hours driving on the french side, so yes it is a lot of driving, but if you're happy with it might as well.
 Monk 04 Feb 2011
In reply to becdent:

It's a great time to go, but it won't be quiet.
OP becdent 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Monk:

Great thanks! I dont mind it being busy I am no pro so it will mean I can get some tips.

Im also fairly flexible on dates so I will do the maths this weekend to keep expense down.

Cant wait.
 peterp 04 Feb 2011
In reply to becdent:
Hi,

I'm based in Glasgow too and probs wouldn't drive for a week long visit. I'd probably only consider driving for a minimum of a two weeks agiven that you'll lose at least one full day in transit (probably two realistically).

If it's cost/ bouldering mats you're concerned about, I reckon a week long trip (flights + hold baggage/ mat, hire car, gite and spends) comes to about £450 based on four people sharing a big estate (Passat, Mondeo etc). If you're camping (totally fine at Easter time) it'll be even cheaper.

If you're looking to go at Easter and stay in a gite I'd get booking now as they fill up really fast..!!

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
peterp
 staceyjg 04 Feb 2011
In reply to becdent:

There are two bank holiday weekends back to back, so it may be worth your while to leave on thursday night and return on mayday monday.

It will be very busy, due to the above, but the atmosphere is amazing, we have been for the last two years, the first year the weather was lovely, easter fell in the middle of april and we had a great time, last year was not so good as easter fell at the end of march and it mainly rained! Due to the lateness of easter this year, I'm hoping for good weather.

There is a group of 12 of us heading down this year, so it should be great.

OP becdent 04 Feb 2011
In reply to staceyjg: ok thanks again for the advice,maybe I should have a rethink was just me driving down sounds pretty expensive though. Will look into flights or weeks around it. Still be good to go when its busy.
banned profile 74 04 Feb 2011
In reply to becdent: ive budgeted my trip-march 20-april 20

fule to font and back from near leeds £100 max
ferry £85
tolls £40
camping £196
car insurence extra £39

then obviously food,mainly taking most with me and just buying milk n bread etc then just fuel costs and maybe a gas refill while im out there

flying would be cheaper to get there and back but i cant take 3 bouldering mats and loads of camping gear on a plane and would rather have the car for getting around and on rest days.
OP becdent 06 Feb 2011
In reply to beastofackworth:

Thanks for that breakdown thats a big help. Ive just sat down to try and plan this trip and play with some dates/flights/ferries/accomodation. Forgot about the car insurance....oh and a tent ; ). Thats not too bad a cost for a months trip if only I had the time.

Better go and put the kettle back on think Im going to be here a while.

JLS 06 Feb 2011
In reply to becdent:

Hi, I'm Glasgow based too. I wouldn't fancy the drive. Until recently ryainair from prestwick to beauvais was the way to go but easyjet from Glasgow to chas de Gaul has been better for the last couple of trips. My next trip is for a week at the end of march if you are interested in sharing hire car costs with two random guys on the Internet (that you might vaguely recognise if you climb at ibrox, I don't recognise you). We're taking one mat but hope to hire another from Neil at mainsonbleu (sp?). If you fly with your mat book the mat as another bag and not sports equipment.
 Beardyman 06 Feb 2011
In reply to becdent: Defiantly cheaper to fly and hire a car there.
If you are going for a week and can get maybe 4-8 people, hiring a Gite is a great option, I'm going in March for a week with 4 others and its £190 per person, thats flights from Edinburgh, car hire and Gite!

Its about a 14hr drive from Glasgow and about £250 in fuel there and back!!

Camping can work out a bit cheaper but not that much. If it's pissing it down and you're watching climbing dvds sitting on a couch with a cold beer...
...you'll know the Gite was a good idea!
banned profile 74 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Beardyman: if it pisses down i will be watching climbing dvd's in my tent!
OP becdent 07 Feb 2011
In reply to beastofackworth:

Thanks for the replies I think I was being slightly ambitious thinking I could just drive it. Looks like its going to be flights.

I hope you guys get good conditions out there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...