UKC

Anyone soloed the Old Man ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ukno1guy 11 Mar 2011
Just wondering ...
 Only a hill 11 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy:
Yes, I have soloed the Old Man of Coniston...
 Only a hill 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Only a hill:
Although I did have beta so I think that affects the grade.
 Ron Walker 11 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy:

A well known french lass soloed the Old Man of Hoy if that's what you mean?
 shantaram 11 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy: The late Chris Dale soloed the Old Man of Stoer up and down (no abseil) at age 16, whilst his Mum and Dad thought he was at school in Penrith!
 The New NickB 11 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy:

Plenty people have. I have climbed it, but not soloed it apart from the first pitch. I think the traverse a the start of pitch two would give me the most concern.
 3leggeddog 11 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy: I don't see the point personally, you have to carry ropes and harness to the top anyway.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy:
It's probably been done, but climbing is now banned on this part of Mow Cop as it's apparently about to fall down.
 Fidmark 11 Mar 2011
In reply to shantaram: Awesome.
 GrahamD 11 Mar 2011
In reply to The New NickB:

Getting down again would probably give me some concern.
 n-stacey 11 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy: Im disappointed that no sexual connotations have yet been brought forth.
adam11 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Toreador:

It's been 'about to fall down' for the last 30 years In fact, a large chunk of the aid route in the quarry did fall down - with me on it.
 Tom Last 11 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy:

I remember reading somewhere (Patey - One Man's Mountains perhaps?) that a couple of local kids soloed the Old Man of Hoy shortly after the televised first ascent.
 don macb 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Southern Man:

hmm- i thought the patey tale involved a 14 year old girl soloing it prior to the televised climb (so the locals were less than impressed by the influx of media for a mere roped ascent). i confuse easily, mind... i may well have dreamt that bit!

tom patey, eh? they don't make them like that anymore.
 Tom Last 11 Mar 2011
In reply to don macb:

That could well be it! Few years since I read it.
 matt perks 11 Mar 2011
In reply to n-stacey: I've been known to solo the 'Old Man' when the wife's away. It's pretty safe I reckon unless she's due back imminently.
ukno1guy 14 Mar 2011
In reply to Ron Walker: Catherine Destivelle ?

Maroccan -born

I was under the impression that she tried but failed and had to use some gear then

Al Evans 14 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy:
> (In reply to Ron Walker) Catherine Destivelle ?
>
> Maroccan -born
>
> I was under the impression that she tried but failed and had to use some gear then

She did solo it, but was helicoptered off the top as I recall so nobody has soloed up and back down.
ukno1guy 14 Mar 2011
In reply to 3leggeddog: I noticed in a videoclip of STEPH DAVIS where it looks like she has a thin line tied to her trouers(belt i guess) when she solo's the one climb,not sure the name of it.

Then she basejumps off the top.

That could be a way I guess,depends on the climb.

ukno1guy 14 Mar 2011
In reply to Toreador: Climbing is now banned where ?

I was talking about the Old-Man-of-Hoy .....
 lowersharpnose 14 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy:

A mate of mine soloed it before the talented French glamour puss.

On descent he used the ab ropes of another party. I think this was around 1988.
 Simon Caldwell 14 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy:
Sorry, I assumed you meant the Old Man of Mow
In reply to ukno1guy:

Someone once told me in the pub that Crispin Waddy drove up there entirely on his own and soloed it both up and down.

Didn't Edlinger do it for French TV? The story was that he was up there with his flim crew at the same time as Joe B was doing it with his daughter, and the night before they were sitting round in the bothy and PE was queening it about how he would only do it if ze weather was fine, and his film crew were looking a bit sick since it was their last day and if it carried on raining they were looking at going back with no film, when the 60-year old Joe leaned over and said 'don't worry, lads, if 'e won't do it then give me the money and I'll do it', after which the queening ceased. I imagine the slightest research would show this story was untrue, but I liked it.

jcm
 AndyM-LVB 14 Mar 2011
In reply to n-stacey:
> (In reply to ukno1guy) Im disappointed that no sexual connotations have yet been brought forth.

Damn, I was just about to, then saw your post. Now I'll feel stupid if I say it...

Right, well I'm off to go solo with the old man...
 AndyM-LVB 14 Mar 2011
In reply to matt perks:
> (In reply to n-stacey) I've been known to solo the 'Old Man' when the wife's away. It's pretty safe I reckon unless she's due back imminently.

Yeah but it's not as much fun as when you know you might get caught.
 lowersharpnose 14 Mar 2011
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

IIRC, Crispin soloed up and made use of another party's ab rope - so he didn't solo down the crux.
 Mick Ward 14 Mar 2011
> (In reply to ukno1guy)
>
> Didn't Edlinger do it for French TV? The story was that he was up there with his flim crew at the same time as Joe B was doing it with his daughter...

I've never seen it but is that the one where Zoe whacks the seagull with her hex (no jokes please), got talent-spotted and was presenting Razzamatazz (sp?) a couple of weeks later? She was a feisty, lovely lass.

Mick
 The New NickB 14 Mar 2011
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> Getting down again would probably give me some concern.

Most of the instances I am aware of have involved another party climbing it roped and the soloer using their ropes to descend.
estivoautumnal 14 Mar 2011
> (In reply to ukno1guy)
>
> Someone once told me in the pub that Crispin Waddy drove up there entirely on his own

Wow.
ukno1guy 15 Mar 2011
In reply to lowersharpnose: thanks for the reply...may i ask what your mate's name is,and which area are you from? I would like to chat to a few,who have solo'd the Old-Man-of-Hoy,we're going up there in the summer
ukno1guy 15 Mar 2011
In reply to lowersharpnose: Crispin ?
 handjammer 15 Mar 2011
In reply to matt perks: Nicely put. On a thread where innuendoes could be rife, you're the only one to take it up. Well done!
 lowersharpnose 15 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy:

Crispin Waddy.
 Al Evans 15 Mar 2011
In reply to ukno1guy: I can't see a problem with soloing it if you are happy at the grade and have a means of descent, it all seemed pretty solid ect to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...