UKC

New hill running shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SonyaD 16 Jul 2011
I'm finally having to think about buying a new pair of shoes for off road.

I'm getting really into this hill running malarky so want something that'll do me up and down heathery, boggy, peaty and grassy ground (Scottish hills)

But I also run through a lot of muddy, woodland trails and some stoney ground.

I'm wondering if I should go for 2 pairs of shoes? One for trails and one for proper hill running?

I'm really confused about what's out there though! There seems to be sooooooooo much to choose from.

At the moment I've got Inov8 Roclite 295's and have found the really comfy for pretty much everthing bar the more stony tracks. They're getting pretty trashed now though. Had them for a few years now and they've been well used and abused from hill running, through to trail running and approach shoes to rock climbing and just out hill walking too. Thinking of just keeping them for hillwalking now.

What are those Inov8 mudclaws like? I want something that's going to be nice and grippy on wet/boggy ground and that I can also use for hill running in winter.

Anyone rate Walshes higher than the likes of Inov8's and has anyone tried these new Inov8 shoes http://www.run4it.com/shop/shoes/inov-8/bare-grip-200/
 Banned User 77 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: I rate walshes, very different fit.

Montrail highlanders, quite stiff supported shoe so great for winter, can kick in a bit and wear a crampon.

For general hill wear I'd look at Montrails, walshes (black ones, heavier duty), and innov8 mud claws.There are others but think most are more traily fell shoes.
XXXX 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

It depends on the shape of your foot.

I wore Walshes for ages because they were 'the fell running shoe' but as soon as I wore inov8 I never went back. Walshes are too narrow for me and I constantly roll my ankles in them. Haven't worn them for a few years mind and lots of people rate them, so it really is about what fits best.

There is lots out there and unfortunately I haven't found any way to find the right shoe, other than buying a different one every time until you get the right one! That's why I get so pissed off when companies decide to 'upgrade their design' after I've only managed two pairs in a row.

petestack 17 Jul 2011
In reply to IainRUK:
> For general hill wear I'd look at Montrails, walshes (black ones, heavier duty), and innov8 mud claws.There are others but think most are more traily fell shoes.

Maybe add Mizuno Wave Harriers to the list? Amongst the most 'hilly' of trail shoes, so great all-rounders and now my regular hill wear. Pretty damn good on anything except wet boulders (which few shoes if any feel great on) and the kind of really steep, mossy slopes that tend to come away with you anyway as you descend...

In reply to Eric the Red:
> Walshes are too narrow for me

Think they do a broader version now (something that might suit me too), but haven't tried it.
 Pete Potter 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: It might be worth looking at the La Sportiva Crosslite. I have friends who run in both Snowdonia and the Lakes and love them. I beleive you can even put metal studs in the sole if you want to run in ice in the winter as well.
OP SonyaD 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: Thanks guys. I think my options are pretty much either Walshes or Inov8. From looking on the internet, my local running shop only does Inov8 or Salomon. Pretty sure there's a wee running shop in Dundee that does Walshes, but every time I pass that shop it's never open!

I'm impatient to get some new shoes today, so I reckon it's gonna be Inov8's as that's what I've had previously and what I can try on and get a hold of. JUst hope the mudclaws fit! Though I'm keen to try these new bare grip ones. Just have to see what the shop has I guess.

I'm also going through to Glasgow tomorrow, but I don't think the Run4it shop in Glasgow stocks Walshes either.
OP SonyaD 17 Jul 2011
Just been and tried on a pair of Mudclaws and they felt horrible
Shop has ordered me a pair of these bare grips though but they won't be in until either Tues/Wed (hate waiting!) Wanted to go for a wet, hilly run on Tues so will just have to wear my worn out and holey, unstiched roclites :oD

None of the shops in dundee stock Walshes either! Apart from the shop that is never open.

Think Tiso in Ratho sold Walshes though.

Ian, when you say the black ones, which ones do you mean exactly, cos quite a few of them seem to have black in them.
 petestack 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Well, I'm not Iain, but the original Walsh PBs with black fabric uppers were joined years ago by blue ones with harder, stiffer uppers. Can't remember what those were called when first released, but they seem to be making several different versions now...
http://www.walshsports.co.uk/images/FellRunning.pdf
XXXX 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Which mudclaws did you try on? Probably a bit late now but there's a 270 which is black and white (I think) where the laces are offset. I hated them and they didn't get out of the shop. However, the 330 heavier version has normal lacing and they fit me like a glove. Well, sock anyway.

In reply to Eric the Red: I really like the Inov8 Mudclaw 330 (now called 333 I think) for running on muddy wet fells & through the snow. Excellent grip.

Also a fan of the Roclite 295's for everything else - especially if it is rocky, as they have a stickier rubber. I'm currently trying the X-Talon 212 as a lighter alternative, but I haven't used them enough yet.

OP SonyaD 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: It was the latest version. The problem was that there was a really hard bit inside the making of the shoe sole which dug right into the inside arch on each foot. I detest shoes with any sort of arch support in them, they're uncomfy as hell and after using a pair or Brookes supportive shoes for road running for aprox a couple of months I swore I'd never wear shoes that dug into my arch again as they caused all sorts of leg and foot pain.

Nick - my old pair are the roclite 295's and they've been a superb shoe, it feels a bit like binning a comfy pair of rock shoes by replacing them
But I'm finding they just don't have enough grip on wet, peaty, boggy ground.
OP SonyaD 17 Jul 2011
In reply to petestack: So it's the PB Ultra X'treme ones then? I'm sure that's what Tiso in Ratho had.
Simon Reed 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Sonia. I have used Montrail Highlanders for many years as a preferred shoe for longer distance and winter stuff as Iain suggest. tended to use Inov8 X Talons for racing.

However I have just done The Ramsey Round and I wore saucony peregrines for the whole round. Not only were they mega light and kind on my feet, for a trail shoe they have an excellent low profile sole that was robust enough that you diont feel each stone through them and the soles have a really good grip for ascending descending and grassy stuff. they are good to run in too being light. for a trail shoe they are as good a feel shoe as I have worn and although I will stick to X talons for racing I would choose these every time for longer events and rough mountains.

Simon
 petestack 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> So it's the PB Ultra X'treme ones then? I'm sure that's what Tiso in Ratho had.

Not sure, Sonya (haven't bought any Walshes for years and it's looking like they've *all* changed)!

In reply to Simon Reed:
> However I have just done The Ramsey Round and I wore saucony peregrines for the whole round. Not only were they mega light and kind on my feet, for a trail shoe they have an excellent low profile sole that was robust enough that you diont feel each stone through them and the soles have a really good grip for ascending descending and grassy stuff. they are good to run in too being light.

Congrats on the Ramsay, Simon (from someone who'd likely have been up there supporting you if not already otherwise engaged). But must just point out a recent (hopefully just 'bad luck') story concerning a friend with the Peregrines...

http://www.johnkynaston.com/2011/06/dechmont-law-10k-trail-race.html (scroll down)
http://www.johnkynaston.com/2011/06/new-shoes.html

> for a trail shoe they are as good a feel shoe as I have worn and although I will stick to X talons for racing I would choose these every time for longer events and rough mountains.

Much the same reasons as I'm using the Wave Harriers, then (and I wore those for my Ramsay last year).
OP SonyaD 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Simon Reed: None of the shops (that I know about) stock those shoes, or the Sauconys as far as I'm aware. Though that's a shame cos I buy Saucony's all the time for road running as they've really suited my feet.

Anyhoo, went for a shopping spree in Glasgow today and tried on the old style Mudclaws but they were still the same as regards having a hard bit digging into my arch. Also tried on a pair of Adidas Kanadia but they felt weird (like they were twisting my foot) and they felt too thick and padded and like road shoes for my liking.

The shop also had some Salomon Speedcross which someone had recommended and I have to say they did look quite sexy. But I'd already tried on a pair of the Black Walshes and I actually found them REALLY comfy (though I can see why you guys find them too narrow!) So I'm now a proud owner of a pair of Ultra Xtreme's and I'm off out to play in them tomorrow
OP SonyaD 18 Jul 2011
PS - how many of you guys own more than 1pair of hill running shoes?

Like for climbing, I've got a pair for the wall, a pair for outdoor sport and bouldering and a pair for trad and a battered old pair of comfy's for easy mountain routes.

Does hill running get quite the same, with a pair of shoes for every occasion. Or um, is that just for gear freaks :oD
 petestack 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Just counted 14 pairs of running shoes in various states of repair from half-trashed to unused...

But I generally buy two trail + two hill at a time, rotate the good ones for serious stuff (rotation being good for both feet and shoes as well as keeping clean/dry options available) and keep the older ones for more casual runs and knocking about in!
OP SonyaD 18 Jul 2011
In reply to petestack: Well I've got 5 pairs now, so I'm slowly catching up :oD But one of those are a pair of road shoes that turned out to be horrible and another are an old pair of road shoes which are ace for farm tracks and dry wood tracks. My Roclites I'll keep for hill walking cos I can't bare to throw them away. But I'll probs still use them for stuff like we were doing.
simikjean 19 Jul 2011
It depends on the shape of your foot.

petestack 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> Well I've got 5 pairs now, so I'm slowly catching up

Now if only I'd kept all the truly trashed pairs I've chucked out over the years, you'd have no chance of that! :-P
Simon Reed 19 Jul 2011
In reply to petestack:
> (In reply to Sonya Mc)
> [...]
>
> Not sure, Sonya (haven't bought any Walshes for years and it's looking like they've *all* changed)!
>
> In reply to Simon Reed:
> [...]
>
> Congrats on the Ramsay, Simon (from someone who'd likely have been up there supporting you if not already otherwise engaged). But must just point out a recent (hopefully just 'bad luck') story concerning a friend with the Peregrines...
>
> http://www.johnkynaston.com/2011/06/dechmont-law-10k-trail-race.html (scroll down)
> http://www.johnkynaston.com/2011/06/new-shoes.html
>
> [...]
> Funnily enough Pete I went home last night and took a look at my peregrines and noticed that stitching around the tougher leather patch/stirrup below the lacing has come unstitched. I wonder now how tough these are, although obviously the grey corries will be tough on most shoes. I wonder if I should take these back and get a replacement?
Ihad heard fro Jon Gay that you might have been involved with our rounds on the 2nd july. We had a great day in the best conditions ever.
> Much the same reasons as I'm using the Wave Harriers, then (and I wore those for my Ramsay last year).

Banned User 77 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: Fell wise:

2 pairs of montrail highlanders
2 pairs innov 8 xtalons 190
1 pair innov8 bare grip
1 pair walshes
2 pairs adidas swoops
1 pair mizuno wave harriers

also have sportivas but seem to have mislaid them...

Road wise, normally 2 - 3 pairs on the go.
 petestack 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Simon Reed:
> (In reply to petestack)
> Ihad heard fro Jon Gay that you might have been involved with our rounds on the 2nd july.

Would have been there if it hadn't been my parents' golden wedding party!

> We had a great day in the best conditions ever.

And you met Charlie on the Mullach?

OP SonyaD 19 Jul 2011
In reply to petestack and Ian: So I think we can perhaps say that hill runners are actually worse (or better perhaps) at having many a shoe for every occasion

Ian, how do you rate the Bare Grips???
 Banned User 77 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: Nice on grass, terrible on rock, not grip wise, just impacts, very thin sole so you feel the imppact. Had some big jumps descending onto rocks in Ras Yr Aran last weekend, only short sections of rock, but fore foot felt sore for days afterwards
 Toz 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: Hi Sonya, not sure what foot size you are, but if you're interested I have a pair of Roclite 268 size 6 which I'm selling for £40. Practically brand new - only worn them once to walk about a mile as they're a tad too big for me and I want something that fits me well for down climbing, approaches etc.
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> PS - how many of you guys own more than 1pair of hill running shoes?

I've only got 5 pairs of current trail shoes... that's not *too* bad is it? I'm sure I could do everything with just 2 pairs, but... I am a gear freak!
OP SonyaD 19 Jul 2011
In reply to IainRUK: I was a bit worried about them having no midsole and just not being cushioned enough. Sounds like my concerns about them might be justified.

Went for my first run in the Walshes earlier, 7.6 mile run up Badandun Hill in Glen Isla. Covered track, grass, muddy puddles, bog, wet mud, deep heather and stony track quite nicely Didn't slip once. But did go over my ankle in the deep heather, grrrr! Back to doing those one legged eyes closed balancing exercises I think, ankle still a bit tender
OP SonyaD 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Toz: Thanks for the offer, might have been interested but I just got a pair yesterday and I'm not sure the Roclite 268's would cope with wet, muddy downhills (I know the 295's were a bit slippy)
OP SonyaD 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: <jealous!> 2 pairs really isn't enough :oD
 AB 25 Jul 2011
In reply to IainRUK:

I have been really pleased with Montrail Highlanders but I think they have stopped producing them.

It looks like they now do a 'Mountain Masochist' Trail Shoe - does anyone know how this compares to the Highlander?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...