UKC

best drummer in the world?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DEvans 20 Sep 2011

got to be one of the best drummers in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEysTJJTGmU&feature=related

Mooncat 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Jaki Leibezeit from Can
 MJ 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Jazz Alert!!!

Don't click on link if you don't like jazz.

Jazz Alert!!!
 ryan_d 20 Sep 2011
In reply to MJ:
Damn good....but no match for Danny Carey

Ryan
 Nigel R 20 Sep 2011
In reply to MJ: Wish I'd read your warning before clicking on that. I suspect it would be pertinent even if one did like Jazz
 colina 20 Sep 2011
jazz .....Niiiice

tim000 20 Sep 2011
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to DEvans)
>
> Jazz Alert!!!
>
> Don't click on link if you don't like jazz.
>
> Jazz Alert!!!

thanks , clicked before reading your post and managed to listen to at least 10 seconds
 Lez Bee Anne 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

One of my faves seen a few times ?uestLove of the Roots . . ; youtube.com/watch?v=q4Z4eQXalk8& dude is funky .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9c2IG43d58&feature=related

Right into Stella of Warpaint too she can hit'em hard . . . ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDCaBcXfVvU&feature=related
 Dominion 20 Sep 2011
dan 20 Sep 2011
 Andy Farnell 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans: Neal Peart. End of conversation.

Andy F
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to DEvans) Neal Peart. End of conversation.
>
> Andy F

Wot he said!
ccmm 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Mr. John Henry Bonham.
 jonoh 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans: Carl Palmer ( as ELP )
 MJ 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Thirded on Neal Peart.
bomb 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

I'm not saying this guy is or isn't the best drummer in the world, all I'm saying is that even if you have the slightest appreciation of programming, you have to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0lE4SaKBB8&feature=related

Human beings aren't supposed to be able to play this stuff.
 pipcollier 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Dominion: simply brilliant!!!
dan 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans: I am ashamed to admit I had no idea who Neil Peart is, now I know and might have to agree!!
 vincentvega 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Meg White......

Il get my coat.

Allan
 Strife 20 Sep 2011
The drummer from Punch, or Throats.
 Toby S 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree.
Mike Portnoy a close second.
DEvans 20 Sep 2011
In reply to all

are people mentioning their favourite drummers or the better drummers?

surely there is a big differance.
dan
DEvans 20 Sep 2011
In reply to all

well i just watched all the clips posted and can only imagine that your all joking. as much as i enjoyed the upside down drummer the actual drumming was very dull. difficult to do but very run of the mill gimmicky.

the funky drummer was not funky and had nothing to say with his drums at all. very dissapointing. the only good one was the affex twin i think. he was clever but i still thought it lacked a bit of feeling.

i was right in the first place.

it's not your favourite it's about the best.

tony4433 20 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

I watched the vid - but as soon as the band finished warming up the clip ended ?
ice.solo 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

for rock, bonzo or ginger.

otherwise, dont know his name, but the guy from santanas group from about 15 years ago.
 MonkeyPuzzle 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Someone mentioned Danny Carey above. He may be my favourite but I also think he's up there with the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4a4rnvyH1A&feature=related

He himself did however once say that he thought Neal Peart was the best.
 Mooncat 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSM1THKJf8&feature=related

There's the winner, he's well into his 60's now and can still do stuff I've never seen any other drummer do.
 RyanC 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans: Chad Smith from the Chili's. Outstanding drummer, so much so that you dont even think about him when you listen to their music. Anthony Kiedis, John Frusciante and Flea stand out as amazing musicians but you dont notice Chad Smith because there's nothing to notice, he's THAT good.
Otherwise Marco Minneman or the guy that was playing drums for John Mayer on Live at Abbey Road.

RC
 MJ 21 Sep 2011
In reply to RyanC:

Are you a Red Hot Chili peppers fan by any chance?
 chinoxa 21 Sep 2011
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Seconded. Brilliant video, thanks!
DEvans 21 Sep 2011

are we watching the same clips? how can you think that this guy is up with the best. i do find it quite amazing that people can listen to that and think it's great. he has some chops (which are a bit dull) and he puts them together to create a mono rythmic "solo" to a backing track of the band, ie, not a solo. where is the imagination? where is the fun, where is the reation and response to whats going on?

In reply to DEvans:

Naaah -- Ginger Baker takes the biscuit (Ginger Nut of course)

youtube.com/watch?v=87rBka3GhYc&
 AlanLittle 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Zakir Hussain
 johnhowell 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:
Animal from the muppet show - youtube.com/watch?v=w8wIXXBOqxE&
Otherwise its another vote for the awesome Neil Peart
 Danzig 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Dave Lombardo, Joey Jordison or Tommy Aldridge.
Paul F 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans: (can't believe no one has said yet..)

The one having the most fun :0)
 markhammonds 21 Sep 2011
In reply to bomb:

Amazing clip, cheers!

No idea who the best drummer in the world is. Don't even know who's the best out of these two...

youtube.com/watch?v=n_BmeBfV-O4&
 MJ 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

By general consensus, Neil Peart appears to the best drummer in the world.
Removed User 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:
First drummer I ever did see was Ginger Baker drumming for Hawkwind in 1980. It's been pretty hard to top him. What lets him and Mr.Peart down is the multi-minute drum solos. No,no and thrice no. Drum solos are just fcking wrong.
 zoobizooretta 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

come on it has to be Moonie and Bonham

watch this 7minute 30 seconds (or the whole lot)
youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE&

Watch for Bohams cheeky under arm floor tom crack (blind and you'll miss it)
youtube.com/watch?v=wqdgWh3d9oQ&

trad drummers - Buddy Rich
youtube.com/watch?v=sWrxHP36N1Q&

there's only one way to find out...FIGHT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5B7yqDYbA&feature=related

but this is his signature solo (try keep up with his left foot)
youtube.com/watch?v=7XnQ5kKmOro&

this guy has the best moves thou... (fast forward the intro)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E&feature=related
 MonkeyPuzzle 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Firstly, it isn't a solo, that's just what someone named the video. Secondly, he doesn't need to react and respond because he's not playing jazz, he's playing in a rock band. There are videos of him playing in duelling drum solos which are really impressive improvisations and others from him playing at drum clinics. I thought this one showed him up close the best.

The guy has written six-and-a-half / eight time signature metal tunes, so I don't think we can question his imagination.

There are other videos but I won't link to them as I think you already made up your mind.

Not to say your guy isn't really, very very good, of course.
 MonkeyPuzzle 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Sorry, just read your bio and I guess you don't rate him because he doesn't play jazz.

My bad.
In reply to MJ:

By general consensus, Neil Peart appears to the best misspelled named drummer in the world

In reply to DEvans: I have no idea who the best drummer in the world is, but the best drummer I have ever seen live was a chap drumming for a jazz fusion band called Steps Ahead at the Jazz Cafe.

I can't re call heis name, but he was young, black and I think his name was something like Bill Clinton (but not that)
 graeme jackson 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Mike Mangini recently beat 6 other drummers in the race to replace Mike Portnoy (who can knock Peart into a cocked hat by the way) so it must be him. (as far as rock drummer go at least - for jazz I'd go with Trilok Gurtu).
 pec 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans: If we're discussing virtuoso drumming, Frank Zappa's "The Balck Page" is worth a mention
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Page
and here's a performance of it, though there are others out there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDwRJK8bpb4&feature=related
 tim000 21 Sep 2011
In reply to johnhowell:
> (In reply to DEvans)
> Animal from the muppet show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8wIXXBOqxE
>
dam , forgot about him.
 Mr Fuller 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Best sight-reader: Vinnie Colaiuta.

Best groove man: Steve Gadd

Best metal drummer: Morgan Agren

Best video performance I've seen recently: Terry Bozzio youtube.com/watch?v=GDwRJK8bpb4& (Zappa/semi-jazz warning)
 Mr Fuller 21 Sep 2011
In reply to pec: Ah! Beat me to it!
 Chris the Tall 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:
One name is missing from this list

Which is the most recognisable drum part ever written

The one most frequently air-drummed to...

Think of a gorilla

Badum badum badum badum bom bom bom

Whoever wrote and performed this has to be the greatest ever.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzFRV1LwIo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yes folks, Phil Collins !
andyathome 21 Sep 2011
> (In reply to DEvans) Neal Peart. End of conversation.
>
> Andy F

Conversations are always worthwhile...

But you might be right.

(Though I've an English affinity with the minimalist approach of Dave Mattacks)

andyathome 21 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:
Of course this thread is obsessed with a pretty western obsession with someone sitting behind a jazz drum kit.

Have a look at a pal of mine - youtube.com/watch?v=YZa5foxbD4E&
 Andy Farnell 21 Sep 2011
In reply to andyathome: Neil at his finest: youtube.com/watch?v=Sa0C5Uxpd3c&

Andy F
DEvans 22 Sep 2011

i just watched the neil peart video and i can't belive you think it's great drumming. i'm speechless apart from what i've written so far.
DEvans 22 Sep 2011

i don't dought his chops, if he's the best metal drummer then i belive you. but i don't think he could do what my drummer does and my drummer could do what he does because it's just to be technique and a lot of gimmicks.
i'm open to other music and styles but i'm always dissapointed in the results. i love john bohnam and think he was the best rock drummer but not the best drummer. (there is no best drummer of course but you have to get people to reply.) i havn't made my mind up already about things i only can go on what the drummer is doing. if there was a pop drummer doing amazing drumming then i'd be the first to say so but they don't as people won't like it.
i'll post some non jazz videos and you post some jazz videos you find intresting and we will see what happens.
lots of love
dan
DEvans 22 Sep 2011
In reply to andyathome:
> (In reply to DEvans)
> Of course this thread is obsessed with a pretty western obsession with someone sitting behind a jazz drum kit.
>
> Have a look at a pal of mine - youtube.com/watch?v=YZa5foxbD4E&

thats some great playing. nice ideas, some humour, great technique and he's loving it and so are the crowd

what more can you ask for.
DEvans 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to DEvans)
> One name is missing from this list
>
>
>
> The one most frequently air-drummed to...
> .

eastenders is the most airdrummed too i think. 8million people a day.
>
DEvans 22 Sep 2011

this kid can do create the same effects as joey jordison and niel peart and with a kit about the tenth of the size, and he is a first year student.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIXDbQ8mGg&feature=related

this kids great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSIvvwCtVQ&feature=relmfu

Siward 22 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

An enduring fave of mine has got to be Joe Blocker on this track (strictly for old hippies only):

http://video.mail.ru/mail/alexin_spb/1000/1007.html

Amazing stuff. Listen to it on a good system.

(Don't know why its so hard to find on the web that I have to resort to a Russian website!)
andyathome 22 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:
> (In reply to andyathome)
> [...]
>
> thats some great playing. nice ideas, some humour, great technique and he's loving it and so are the crowd
>
> what more can you ask for.

He's a star - great live performances - and djembe is secondary to his kora playing! (pretty nifty at football as well, charming personality - damn I hate him!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knPRuslkRA4&feature=related
 Munch 22 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans: It's all about Joe Morello
 Mark Savage 22 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

I played the drums for nearly 20 years, so I was very excited to get to spend an afternoon hanging out with Dave Weckl taking photos and then photograph him playing in the evening.

Unfortunately, he was a total dickhead and he was extremely rude to everyone, including his own crew.

Great drummer though...
DEvans 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Mark Savage:

i've heard this before and always suspected he was not a nice guy.

Dominion 22 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

George Kollias seems to be fairly well recommended amongst youtube aficionados of death metal / fast metal. Famous for extremely rapid double-bass drum type stuff, and he does have an very large drum kit, as per Weckl in the clip you posted in the OP.

This is from his Intense Metal Drumming tutorial DVD, so just drums, and not jazz players tuning up

youtube.com/watch?v=XagspfIdhqk&
 veteye 22 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:
Anyone heard of Jon Hiseman of Coliseum?He was almost a crossover from Jazz to Rock.
Ginger Baker gave up due to the sequel arthritis didn't he?
DEvans 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Dominion:

that is incredible. i'm really impresed with his foot work.(true) i'm also loving the way he just hits the drums really quickly all the time. it's just so musical. i guess there is no follow up dvd on how to use your imagination as he doesn't seem to have one. (also true)

tuning up is very important.
 Dominion 22 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

See, it IS all musical preferences!

I found both drummers not particularly inspiring (your OP (Weckl), and George Kollias) - and would rather listen to simple drumming like Pete de Freitas from Echo And the Bunnymen (sadly killed in a motorbike crash in 1989)

From the live gigs I saw, he had a very minimal drum kit, 4 or 5 piece, and used it very effectively, rather than a 20 piece drum kit, and waffled all over it.

I can appreciate the technicality of Weckl and Kollias, but I'd rather listen to de Freitas.

As with guitars, Satriani is a god, but I prefer Neil Young (and myself) to listen to. (although Steve Vai, I can listen to, but not Satriani, or Pat Metheny)

Alkis 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Dominion:

Kollias is incredible. I am quite partial to Gene Hoglan and Bobby Jarzombek (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTQUfSfXjoE&feature=related) myself though.
 terragait 23 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:
Three trapped Tigers. Saw them at the End of the Rod lst year
youtube.com/watch?v=YFwH0z2vkfk&

This should be the theme for the London Olympics

DEvans 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Dominion:

i know it all comes down to personal preferance but it's good fun to talk about it. i dislike satriani but love pat matheny. matheny is more the guitar god for me. but we agree on the fact that we prefer to listen to other stuff.one of my favourite drummer is bill stewart. a drummer full of ideas, who listens intently to his band mates,
 AllanMac 24 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Vinnie Colaiuta

Steve Gadd

Two of the best drummers ever...

See them both playing a 'drum off' with Dave Weckl here:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6b_nBM-V8&
DEvans 24 Sep 2011
In reply to AllanMac:

i love steve gadd in that clip. he was my favourite.
In reply to DEvans:

youtube.com/watch?v=jYzVksmUH00&

Ginger Baker for me too.
 Nigel R 24 Sep 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Yes folks, Phil Collins !

For all the absolute shite the latter-day Genesis line up turned out, it's easy to forget Phil Collins is a pretty accomplished drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpILkBBve7k&feature=related

(might go well with the 'shrooms from the other thread!)
 Graham T 24 Sep 2011
In reply to Nigel R: got to be animal from the muppets surely
 Jake Shaw 24 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

Horseshit
In reply to DEvans: Phil Collins?
 zoobizooretta 25 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

this day in history
Sept 25th 1980, John Bonham, drummer with Led Zeppelin, died aged 32 after a heavy drinking session.

This is an amazing documentary all about him
youtube.com/watch?v=xpVCxpimAXg&

DEvans 25 Sep 2011
In reply to zoobizooretta:

can't belive he was only 32.

respect.
 Bulls Crack 25 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:
> In reply to all
>
> are people mentioning their favourite drummers or the better drummers?
>
> surely there is a big differance.
> dan

Cue any discussion of this sort on UKC! Drummer, climbing wall, cliff, climb, food, song etc etc
DEvans 26 Sep 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:

thats what i wanted to start, a discusion of the best drummers. but people started just saying the drummers that they liked. also they often think the style of music that they like will create the best drummers. well it's not the case. (except jazz) metal drummers have a technique for playing fast but no rhythmic identity really but thats the style of music it is. it's not about rhythm.
it would be great if people could step back from what they think and try and open themselves up to other possibilities. all with a smile on there faces.

Dom Whillans 26 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:
i can't believe that Dave Grohl or Taylor hawkins haven't been mentioned by others yet... Zakir Hussain is a virtuoso though
 plyometrics 26 Sep 2011
In reply to DEvans:

IMHO: Will Calhoun.
 handjammer 26 Sep 2011
In reply to andy farnell: I'm surprised there's been no mention of Stewart Copeland, Cozy Powell, or Keith Moon, who is my personal fave as he used his instrument like a voice and filled in the spaces in the music perfectly.

I'm a big fan of Ginger Baker too...
 zoobizooretta 26 Sep 2011
In reply to Dom Whillans:

because this is Dave Grohl's favourite, he's doing the voice over and says it all here http://www.fooarchive.com/gpb/johnbonham05.htm

youtube.com/watch?v=xpVCxpimAXg&
DEvans 26 Sep 2011
In reply to all

how many drummers post on UKC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...