UKC

NEWS: BANFF - British Guidebooks on Top of the World

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Nov 2011
Front cover. Low Rider at Stanage. Photo: Dave Parry, 3 kbPeak bouldering book wins at BANFF and more:

John Coefield of Vertebrate Publishing said, "To say we're made up would be a massive understatement. A huge amount of time and effort was poured into this book, really beginning as soon as the original guide was published in 2005, with the documentation of new problems and new areas by Rupert..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64784

GDes 03 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: Well deserved, it's a stunning guidebook. I'm not much of a boulderer but loved flicking through it. The standard of photography is at another level to any other climbing guide I've seen.

On another note, I'm surprised the Cote d'Azur book won prizes. I found it to be littered with quite major mistakes. It is well laid out though
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Nov 2011
In reply to GDes:

I haven't received much feedback about the guide,(except for the grade of 'that' route in the Verdon and some temporary road closures in around Chateaudouble). I would be greatful if you could let me have details of any errors so I can orgnise an update.

Cheers

Chris
 cem 03 Nov 2011
In reply to GDes:
What's new? The Lofoten Rockfax also won prizes and it's full of mistakes

In reply to cem:
>
> What's new? The Lofoten Rockfax also won prizes and it's full of mistakes

I'd dispute that, as would the locals that helped me write it.

I doubt the judges at Banff went to Lofoten before making the award, or bouldered in the Peak this time round either.

Chris
 cem 03 Nov 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs: Then why was it necessary to bring out a fairly substantial supplement comprised mainly of corrections?
In reply to cem:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs) Then why was it necessary to bring out a fairly substantial supplement comprised mainly of corrections?

The Update consists of 24 pages - of these, there is a double page spread to update two pages in the guide with corrections to TWO routes. Almost all of the rest of the Update (i.e. the other 20 pages) are filled with new routes.

Chris
In reply to cem:

The update is here: http://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/miniguides/lofoten-update-2010/ if you want to check.

Chris
 GDes 04 Nov 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs: Hi Chris. I did mean to when I got back, but never got round to it. I'll get the book out soon and have a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...