UKC

Unmissable world food

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alyson 13 Apr 2012
On the Friday before last I stood gazing at a slightly depressing 'Taste of Britain' display in the departure lounge at Manchester airport, where you could buy a last minute box of Tetley teabags/can of beans/jar of marmite before venturing out into the culinary unknown of Abroad.

To me, tasting and sharing the food of a place is a huge and wonderful part of the travel experience (not to mention of life) so I would love to hear where people have had their best food moments. Here are a few of mine to kick things off....

- street food in Thailand. In Bangkok, juxtaposed with the bright and all too familiar Western fast food outlets lining Sukhumvit, was a little place with some plastic tables and chairs and a piece of plastic sheeting as a sort of roof and one lady with a wok on a cart. It was the sort of place which looked utterly temporary but had probably been there a decade, and for the equivalent of about 90p she made me the most delicious plate of Pad Thai you can possibly imagine. I had countless tasty meals and snacks cooked on rickety old carts while I was there, but that first one was the best.

- the world's greatest hot chocolate in Geneva. It was treated with all the seriousness you would give to a perfect espresso, and served in a similarly small cup. No mound of sickly squirty cream on top and not a marshmallow in sight.

- amazing venison stew served by candlelight in a French alpine hut, the delightful Refuge du Bonhomme. They make their own bread and cakes, and you drink tea and coffee out of earthenware bowls. It had a kind of homely perfection I really loved.

- simple bowl of pasta with freshly made pesto sauce, in the garden of someone I didn't know in Italy (long story). The hospitality as much as the food was memorable.

- spankingly fresh scallops in a bit of garlic butter on the quayside at Oban. Oh, and the completely magnificent smoked trout paté from the Hebridean smokehouse on North Uist - eaten with oatcakes while sitting on the beach and washed down with a tot of Black Bottle. Mmmm! Recreating this in my front room in Sheffield is not quite the same but it doesn't stop me trying.

If I was going to eat my way around the world, what should I make sure I don't miss?
 Matt250 13 Apr 2012
Kobe beef(Japan). Melts in the mouth and its sublime.

Sunday Roast(UK!). Great!
 nightmonkeyuk 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:
Braised Buffalo, coooked and served by a native american family on reservation in Montana.

Best cup of coffee - roadside cafe in Iceland in the middle of nowhere.

Best potato rosti - Dix Hut, although it was about 700 euros.

Best pasta - Da Gemma, Amalfi - in fact, best everything at that place.

I could go on, but my mouth is watering..

OP Alyson 13 Apr 2012
In reply to nightmonkeyuk:

> Best potato rosti - Dix Hut, although it was about 700 euros.

Lol! That's a little steep Mind you, despite being a perfectly good cook I can't seem to master potato rosti so who am I to put a price on such things?
 tony 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:
> Oh, and the completely magnificent smoked trout paté from the Hebridean smokehouse on North Uist - eaten with oatcakes while sitting on the beach and washed down with a tot of Black Bottle. Mmmm! Recreating this in my front room in Sheffield is not quite the same but it doesn't stop me trying.
>
The Hebridean Smokehouse is a marvellous place. The smoked scallops are a treat and a half. You do know they do mail order?

On a similar theme, fresh langoustine at the Applecross Inn, with a nice pint, looking over to Raasey, is a decent way to spend a lunchtime.
Miss Piggy 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: One of my favourite places was a small town in North West India called Badoli... One of the cul de sac type streets lined with rickety wooden carts, all serving various gujarati foods... Amazing...

America also had the best chili dogs, in Cincinnati... & the best cheesecakes in LA...

There is also a restaurant in Paris, near the Eiffel tower, that sold the best French onion soup ever...
fijibaby 13 Apr 2012
In reply to nightmonkeyuk:
I had buffalo at a place in Amalfi. Might have been Da Gemma. Anyway it was utterly sublime. Only a few ingredients but all of them exactly right, and cooked perfectly. It's the main course in my fantasy meal.
Since you ask the pudding is a pannacotta with frozen kiwi fruit that I had in Paris.
One unmissable meal is Kokonda, which is a Fijian dish. It's fish 'cooked' in lime and served in coconut milk and chillis. Not to be missed if you ever find yourself there.
 Tom Last 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Fish and Chips - Clacton, Essex

Fush and Chups - Kaikoura, New Zealand
 nightmonkeyuk 13 Apr 2012
In reply to fijibaby:
How random...was it on a balcony over looking the square? Best meal i have ever had, every course was perfect.
And as for the rosti...mine are always raw in the middle so i gave up and use it as an excuse to go back to the Alps.
 Ramblin dave 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Freshly picked mussels cooked over a camping stove at Glenbrittle.

Roast eel in Bruges.

Salt cod and lentil salad at Pinoxos tapas stand in the market in Barcelona.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Southern Man: Nice one!
OP Alyson 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Miss Piggy:
> One of my favourite places was a small town in North West India called Badoli... One of the cul de sac type streets lined with rickety wooden carts, all serving various gujarati foods... Amazing...

This is the kind of experience I hope the world holds for me down every street!
 owlart 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: I particularly enjoyed the bowl of Zama (kind of a chicken noodle soup) I had in a restaurant in Chisinau, Moldova. I think it was classed as a very 'posh' place, as we went there for my birthday, but it still worked out at about £17 for a meal for three of us! Oh, and the 60p bag of strawberries we bought on the way home was good too!
 Hat Dude 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Fresh Crabs from the fish cellars in Port Isaac
 Ava Adore 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Liver and polenta in Venice.
 alooker 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: clam chowder in San Francisco, mussels plucked fresh in Scotland, kudu biltong whilst walking through a South African market, Brazilian bbq in a dodgy back garden in the depths of Hackney. So many! I can remember foods that taste/were technically better but the combination of good food, company and setting is a hard one to erase from the memory.

I find it depressing that our (apparent!) contribution to the culinary world has been yorkshire tea, baked beans and marmite. We have some of the best meat, sea food and vegetables on the planet!

Oh and thanks for making me think about food until lunch....!
 Milesy 13 Apr 2012
Scotland.

Deep fried mars bar is just a tourist gimick. The real local delacies are:

Munchie Box.
Stonner Supper.
 lowersharpnose 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

A wild boar stew in the countryside near Ancona.

Oysters on the beach in Rio.

Big prawns/langoustines fried in butter with a little garlic, served with bread and beer in a lean-to type restaurant in Recife.
 Al Evans 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Milesy: The only place in the world I have ever seen with a chip machine was on the Orkneys, you literally put your money and watched as a few chips were scatterd into a deep fat frier and cooked, it then spat them out at you and a bag to put them in, not bad chips though
 abh 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Argentinian Steak and Malbec
 MG 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Pickled herring Norway/Sweden
Various marinated olives in the south of France
Insalate Caprese Italy (in fact anything in Italy)
Bruegger Bagels USA
Good bread generally
In reply to Alyson:

Cyprus anywhere:

Souvlaki chicken, sheftalia beef, kleftiko lamb and potatoes, halloumi and lounza, plump olives in coriander and garlic..wash down with village wine.
 Dom Whillans 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Rockmonkey680:
> (In reply to Alyson)
>
> Cyprus anywhere:
>
> Souvlaki chicken, sheftalia beef, kleftiko lamb and potatoes, halloumi and lounza, plump olives in coriander and garlic..wash down with village wine.

oh yeah!

i'll put forward the sizzling beef special from "The American" in the Wanchai and Chow Fan (fried rice) from a beach restaurant in Cheung Chow.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: Eating beaver in an establishment next to the Patpong Night Market in Bangkok.
Lunch at the Fat Duck, Bray, England.
 lost1977 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

kefta tajine in fez when the weather has been cold and wet outside for over a week
 Enty 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Sat on the top of Sacre Monte overlooking the city of Varese last weekend in a small family run restaurant:

Big jug of Prosecco on arrival then many jugs of red wine.
1. Anti pasti - parma ham, salami, potato salad etc etc
2. Pollenta with cheese and onion
3. Risotto with wild mushrooms
4. Pork in sauce - I think it was some sort of shin bone with meat peeling off.
5. Steak - fried with nothing on but a pinch of salt
6. 3 different deserts
7. Grappa
8. Coffee

25€ a head.

E
 The Norris 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

I wouldnt say its was the finest in terms of taste, but was a fine experience...

Me and a friend were travelling on the train from Beijing to Ulan Bataar and were in the same compartment as a Mongolian couple. We had a few western type snacks, which when we began to eat, were laughed at by the couple.

The guy then picked up a carrier bag and plonked it on the table and gestures to open - it was a boiled sheep! We then tucked into the sheep, tearing it apart with hands. Very fatty, but really a strong flavour. It was the perfect food to go with the view of the mongolian steppe.
 tmawer 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:
Mutton cooked slowly in an ancient oven in the farmhouse restaurant on the way to Alaro in Mallorca.

Piri Piri chicken cooked and served by a "Baby Jane" lookalike somewhere in Portugal.
 Tall Clare 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Southern Man:

When I went to New Zealand ben b of this forum told me about a particularly good fush and chup emporium on the road up the island from Dunedin. They were *very* good fush and chups, as were the ones from the Kai Kabin (think that was what it was called) on Stewart Island.
 Bobling 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

A huge bowl of prawns with a large class of coke whilst sat above the Pacific Ocean in Port Douglas, Australia. Humidity at about a million percent.

Cold Lobster from the pub on Stewart Island, NZ.
 Tall Clare 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Pie from the Lochinver Larder.
Anonymous 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

For me:

Sea food chowder- peggy's cove, nova scotia
Crab- chokoloskee island, Florida
Elk stew- Estonia
Wild boar burger- Dorset, england
Wild mussels- England and Scotland
Singapore noodles- hong kong
Trawlers gingerbread- england
Anonymous 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Anonymous:

No idea why the spell checker changed the word Grasmere to trawlers, but just thought I'd clarify it should be Grasmere Gingerbread
 Mike-W-99 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:
Curry Wurst washed down with a bottle of local pilsner at the truckers cafe in Homburg, Germany.

My landlord could never quite understand this behaviour.
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Darn it, I forgot all about curry and bratwurst! I'll raise you a Gyros pita mit Tsatziki though.
 jonnie3430 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Rockmonkey680:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
>
> Darn it, I forgot all about curry and bratwurst!

I'll raise you a Schwein Haxl! Pigs knee I think, cracking on outside, lovely in the middle, all on a bone so you can pretend to be a caveman!
 Kimono 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:
thieboudjen (fish and rice) in Mauritania/Senegal...25p for a big plate
jerk chicken on the beach in Negril, jamaica
dal makhani in delhi...in fact almost everything ive ever eaten in india
tuna a la plancha in tarifa...bar el frances is my favourite
lemon tart from Tangana, Tarifa

sadly nothing i would miss from my current country of residence, the Dominican Republic..well, maybe the beaver as someone mentioned above
 Tom Last 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Bobling and Tall Clare:

Amazing that you both mention Stewart Island!

I ate about half a dozen cakes in quick succession In a cafe in Oban(?) on Stewart Island. It would probably qualify as one of the best meals I've ever had. This was due in part though, to having just walked three days in solid rain (it honestly didn't stop) over to Mason Bay and back. This was in mud sometimes over our knees and on one memorable day, water to our waists - when the path finally had the decency to just turn into a river. A beautiful and memorable place, made all the better by stuffing my face at the end of the 'walk'.
 gedi 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

I've not ventured far, never been outside of europe, but I do like food!

Starting with Scotland, the best fish and chips I've ever had were from the chippy in Ullapool. Also, there is a bistro pub next door where I was served a delicious haddock fillet with white pudding.

My first haggis, neeps and tatties at the Drovers Inn goes straight into the the top ten of the list of best meals that I'm making in my head because of this thread.

I happily parted company with 20 Euros in return for a late breakfast bacon omelette and a can of coke at the Gouter Hut.

Salami, soft cheese and sliced peppers on a fresh crusty baguette on the way to the Albert Premier refuge.

My brother's ex was a Thai lady who could really cook. They lived above a Thai restaurant, so had access to some quality ingredients. Paweena's Nam Pik was out of this world, incredibly intense flavours and to be used sparingly. (Google has informed me I am wrong and insists that it is Nam Prik). I've had pig's knees and chicken's feet and other substances where, in response to "What's this then?", my brother would say "Just eat it, it's nice".
Wiley Coyote2 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Highly calorific cream tea in that place next to the Count House after a very successful day on Bosi
OP Alyson 13 Apr 2012
In reply to all: Sounds like my world culinary tour needs to be a long one! Not sure about beaver though... :-S

bradholmes 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: A South African Braai (bbq), in particular, the Bluebull steak, a monster cut of beef, about 2kg, aged for a month and then vac packed in a bbq marinade, words cannot describe it.......It helps if you like rugby and lager too.....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bluebull%20steak%20south%2...
OP Alyson 13 Apr 2012
In reply to alooker:

> I find it depressing that our (apparent!) contribution to the culinary world has been yorkshire tea, baked beans and marmite. We have some of the best meat, sea food and vegetables on the planet!

I found it a little disheartening too, but then I thought about Timothy Taylor's Landlord, Richard Woodall's Waberthwaite Cumberland Sausage, Coverdale Cheese, pink sticks of forced rhubarb and Sussex Pond Pudding and I felt a lot better!
Anonymous 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Two words:

Nanaimo Squares - Victoria, Canada.
OP Alyson 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Anonymous: Wow, they sound like my kind of heart attack!
 Banned User 77 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: I'm getting quite into Ethiopian.. there's a few good restaurants in Boston. you eat with your hands and pieces of fermented bread.. not sure what its called.. different sorts of curries.. quite unique.
 Big Steve 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:
From Turkey:
icli kofte, followed by Adana kebab and washed down with fresh ayran
 gedi 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

PS. I've found that the Dutch make exceedingly good cakes! For some reason, eating them makes me more hungry...

Oh, and I'm planning a trip to Morocco in Winter and cannot wait to try the local food. Looking forward to meeting some Berber people too.
 Caralynh 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Agree with Thai street food - I've had similar experiences and loved it.

Can I add Bhutanese Ema Datshi? Chilli/cheese stew. We had it first time in Nepal and coincidentally have made it here tonight. 250g of finger chillies sounds a bit OTT but if you can manage it, it's great!
 Caralynh 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Caralynr:

I'd also add dhosas in India. Never found anywhere in the UK that sells them.
 Ramblin dave 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Caralynr:
> (In reply to Caralynr)
>
> I'd also add dhosas in India. Never found anywhere in the UK that sells them.

Quite a few places in London (including a place in Tooting that does 'family sized' ones the size of surfboards). Even a few places in the provinces.
 Ramblin dave 13 Apr 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Alyson) I'm getting quite into Ethiopian.. there's a few good restaurants in Boston. you eat with your hands and pieces of fermented bread.. not sure what its called.. different sorts of curries.. quite unique.

Yeah, it's brilliant. The bread is called injera. I always feel like a child when I go to an Ethiopean (or Sudanese / Eritrean) place, though, because I get assorted gravies all over my fingers while the regulars at the next table sit there looking like they're taking tea at the Ritz.

I could probably do a reasonable "Unmissable world food (in London)" thing now I think about it...
 Graham T 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Chilli Paneer.
Had it at my mates wedding in delhi, and haven't found anything like it since.
Amazing food, also proper marsala chai is wonderful.

I think I had the worlds greatest apple tart in switzerland too.
At a hut called the Balmhornehutte near kandersteg, walked up there and had lunch sat outside in the sun, the apple tart put the lid on the ay, was stunning.
 JJL 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:
> - spankingly fresh scallops in a bit of garlic butter on the quayside at Oban.

When I was a kid we used to holiday in the Western Highlands - Oban, Ardnamurchan, Shiegra. The Best Day Ever of my childhood started at the Oban fishery where we were given a sackful (childhood scale) of scallops. We had them on Lismore island having hired a boat and rowed over (the last section anyway). I remember my Dad sat on the turf with a stove cooking them and then paddling in the gin-clear water as the little fish nibbled my toes. I am so very glad that I recounted my wondrous memory of that day to him before he died.

As for other places, I have reverential memories of:
- barralucos in Mendoza during wine festival week. It's junk food but served in tremendous surroundings.... and some of the Buenos Aries grill houses if you're a carnivore (if you are not, you will starve)
- grazing my way through the Indian streets (you have to embrace the consequences) and off-beat Thailand
- two nights in Tokyo with a local who knew where to eat. Sadly, I don't know he names, but it is the most beautifully presented, truth-on-a-plate food.

Hungry now.

J
 alooker 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: hear hear!
 Milesy 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Big Steve:
> (In reply to Alyson)
> From Turkey:
> icli kofte, followed by Adana kebab and washed down with fresh ayran

Proper turkey street kebab is awesomeness
 Tom Valentine 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Garbure in Oloron Ste. Marie (and you might as well visit the Lindt factory shop while you are there)
Chowder in Roundstone, Connemara.
Deep fried faggots in Bridgnorth.
 Blue Straggler 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Is this a competition?
 The New NickB 14 Apr 2012
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to Alyson)
> [...]
> As for other places, I have reverential memories of:
> - barralucos in Mendoza during wine festival week. It's junk food but served in tremendous surroundings.... and some of the Buenos Aries grill houses if you're a carnivore (if you are not, you will starve)

Steak and Malbec in Buenos Aires is just fabulous, but I spent a bit of time there with a veggie, remember the Italian influence, lots of pizza, pasta and ice cream.

The New NickB 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

I actually think really good fish and chips is hard to beat, it is often hard to find as well.
 Yanis Nayu 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Alyson)
>
> Is this a competition?

I think so, yes.
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> I think so, yes.

Who won?

Miss Piggy 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Graham T:
> (In reply to Alyson)
>
> Chilli Paneer.
> Had it at my mates wedding in delhi, and haven't found anything like it since.
> Amazing food, also proper marsala chai is wonderful.

Not sure how you had the chili paneer cooked but if you want it in a crispy coating go to Bobbies in Leicester on Milton road or in more of a sauce, go to Lillies next to ASM cash & carry in Ashton Under Lyne... They are the two places that I've been to that doesn't use all that red food colouring...
 Cheese Monkey 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: My favourites so far
Russia - potatoes and chicken. V basic, but always really good
China - beef dumplings. Hot pot is overrated
Nepal - Dal Bhat. By far the best staple food ever invented
India - Any thali. Cheap and cheerful
Thailand - Pad Thai, Thai fried noodles
Laos - Laap, minced spicy meat salad. Beerlao, the best national beer ever made
Cambodia - Loc Lac, beef with rice, egg and nice gravy
Vietnam - Phò Bò, beef noodles, the best in Asia
 anonymouse 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Frites mayonnaise in the north of France - preferably from some windswept yet oddly picturesque baraque a frites - or possibly moules frites at the right time of year.

The kebabs - with everything - from the kebab shop at the Ebertallee bahnhof in Hamburg. Perfect end of the night fodder, perfect breakfast fodder, perfect lunch time fodder, perfect dinner or supper fodder. Just perfect. How they get the bread so soft, or the meat so tender I will never know.

Cous cous. Not the grain, the banquet with the spicy sauce, the stewed meat and veg. I've never had a good one in a restaurant, but I've been invited to a few homemade and those were some of the best nights.

In a similar vein, choucroute from around the Alsace region is hard to beat.
 anonymouse 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

And when in Poland, something which they translated as Nostalgia Stew and which involved barley and pickled gerkhins and god alone knows what else. I'm not Polish, but it certainly made me feel like I'd come home.
 MonkeyPuzzle 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Barbecued Red Snapper COVERED in chilli and garlic on the beach of Gili Meno in Indonesia! The fish still had rigor mortis when the guy put it on to cook.

Steak frites in Burgundy - Bavette and matchstick chips on a terrace with a massive carafe of glugging wine cannot be beat.

Ham hock, liverwurst, blotwurst, potatoes and sauerkraut in East Berlin, all washed down by a frothy mug of Schoferhofer with a slice of lemon in. Could barely move afterwards. In a good way.

Liver and onions with mash potato - made by my Mam. Home.
 Bob Hughes 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: Humus in a street cafe in Amman
 Kimono 14 Apr 2012
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Alyson)
>
> I actually think really good fish and chips is hard to beat, it is often hard to find as well.

Oak fishery, Leeds...world class

Removed User 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Freshly picked/cooked mussels on a camping stove at Coruisk, Skye. One bit of excitement in 3 days of tent living in torrential rain with Pops.

Kebab munching from the food stalls in the Djemaa el Fna, Marrakesh.

Bulls Crack 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Pizza Napolitana for a small cafe/restaurant 2 minutes from Naples station

A simple pasta a tomato sauce and grilled lamb in fresh herbs from a restaurant in Sicily

A bowl of white rice in fish d=stock from a very posh seafood place in Spain

A seabass in a French restaurant somewhere!

Wild strawberry fool from la Croque en Bouche Malvern

birdie num num 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:
Folks here should try the Vesta chicken curry. Me and Mrs. Num Num love it. It's supposed to have real chicken in it too.
 papashango 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Fresh seafood on the waterfront in San Francisco is hard to beat!
Fergburger, Queesntown, NZ - best burgers in the world.
Anonymous 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Bob Hughes:
> Humus in a street cafe in Amman

Haggis too. Amman's Amman for a' that.

JoshOvki 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

I am amazed no one has mentioned the sandwiches from Midnight Express in Chamonix.
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2012
In reply to birdie num num:
when we are camping we make everyone envious and have a sunday roast while they are on supernoodles:
http://ihatemymessageboard.com/2009/04/23/a-whole-chicken-in-a-can/#0_undef...
 Ramblin dave 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Bob Hughes)
> [...]
>
> Haggis too. Amman's Amman for a' that.

http://instantrimshot.com/
 Big Steve 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave: balik ekmek (grilled fish sandwich) from a street vendor in Istanbul. The ones by the Galata bridge are best I think
In reply to Alyson: I'm more than a little bored of pasta these days, but, mmmmmmm, I still haven't managed to recreate the nicest, lightest and tastiest plate of pasta I've ever had!

It was in Carloforte, which is the main town on San Pietro, right next to Sardinia. It was spaghetti, with olives, garlic, tuna, pecorina romano, parsley, lemon zest and possibly one or two other ingredients. It. Was. Sublime! It's one of the few times in my life I've genuinely thought about asking the chef for the recipe!

I've tried a few times to make it myself, once was close (but clearly not quite there). I did learn though, that it makes a huge difference to use canned tuna in olive oil, using the oil for the cooking. Makes everything have a nice tuna flavour.
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to Alyson)
>
> kefta tajine in fez when the weather has been cold and wet outside for over a week

I'm impressed you found good food in Morocco! We were, on the whole, quite underwhelmed! The "7 Vegetable Couscous" in Fes was a particular lowlight. Literately some root vegetables on bland couscous. No really flavouring of any sort. Meugh!

Fresh seafood, picked from a pierfront display, grilled on a BBQ in front of our eyes was a treat though!
 subalpine 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Fultonius:
> (In reply to Alyson) I'm more than a little bored of pasta these days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_vermicelli
yumyum
 Richard Carter 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Best Hot Chocolate I've had was at 'Pierre Marcolini Ginza - Chocolatier Bruxelles' in Tokyo. Was about £10, but it was pretty damn awesome :-P
KevinD 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:

there used to be a cafe in canterbury which did superb hot chocolate. Melted decent quality chocolate mixed with milk. Nice but a heart attack waiting to happen.
For fish and chips best I have had is in Bushmills, possibly helped by the fact the chips were fried on demand rather than storing them. Wait was well worth it.

However surely nothing can beat Pizza huts hot dog stuffed crust pizza

http://delivery.pizzahut.co.uk/Menu.aspx

or maybe not.
 Graham 15 Apr 2012
In reply to papashango:
I gotta disagree - Red Star Burgers in Wanaka (NZ) is the by far the best spot in NZ (perhaps the world). Fergburger pales in comparison.

Smoked Eel and a pint of bookbinder (beer) at Fleur's Place, Moraki, NZ

Pho at Pho Bang New York (confusingly, it's in Montreal)

A "melange special" at Little Slovenia (a smoked meat sandwich, Montreal)

Junior's Cheesecake - Broolyn, NY

Luigi's Pizzaria, Brooklyn, NY

Oxtail Stew, with yellow rice+red beans West Side Cafe, Tribeca NY

I'm so hungry...
 Tom Valentine 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Where ya bin......, friendo?
 muppetfilter 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Alyson: Grilled fish on CatBa , Vietnam

1. Order
2. Splosh noise from Kitchen
3. Flap.. Flap.. Flap..
4. (wet thud)
5. Flap .....Flap
6. (wet thud)
7. Sizzle
8. Season to Taste and eat, delicious fresh fish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...