UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: St John's Head BASE Jump

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Apr 2012
Simon Brentford and the Old Man of Hoy, 3 kbClimber and BASE jumper Simon Brentford has made the first BASE jump from St. John's Head, Hoy, directly off the overhang above the now infamous Long Hope Route.

"The island of Hoy had captivated me since childhood, when I watched a TV program of Joe Brown and his daughter climbing The Old Man of Hoy. Being a BASE jumper and climber, I thought there was a possible jump off the other famous Hoy landmark, St John's Head."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67060

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

I enjoyed that, though I wondered for a while where he was going to land! Looks like quite a haul back out.

Chris
 BALD EAGLE 19 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Wowser that was super intense! Good work Simon!
 pmot 19 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: saddens me how many great videos are spoilt by ill-fitting or plainly incongruous music. I woud suggest local duo Boards of Canada for this mighty feat.
That's given me shivers. Amazing.
 poeticshambles 19 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Superb landing, great flight.
 gsum 19 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Nice video - shame about the song
 Skyfall 19 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Ditto - great vid, shame about the music.

Heck of a small landing site, well done Simon !
 Webster 20 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: just out of interest, isnt BASE jumping illegal in the UK? not that it bothers me as that looked amazing! im just wondering what the repercusions might be for UKC openly endorsing it?
 howlingbaboon 20 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: You crazy, crazy man!
 robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 20 Apr 2012
In reply to pmot: ... in your opinion, I thought it worked quite well. Nice short video! Thanks
 JayPee630 20 Apr 2012
In reply to Webster:

No, it's not illegal. Some venues would require breaking a law to access, but BASE jumping itself isn't.
 simes303 20 Apr 2012
In reply to robertmichaeladams:

I agree too. A nice tune and good video. Si.
 Meeker 20 Apr 2012
In answer to the question of legality - no BASE is not illegal. If you enter a building and refuse to leave, then that constitutes the civil offence of trespass. Breaking a window is classed as breaking & entering. To BASE jump, you should not cause damage and if they ask you to leave, do so by the quickest means possible!

On a side note, the island of Hoy has 6 miles of good quality climbing to be done (not all of it super hard either) and 99.9% of it has never been touched before.
 mloskot 20 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: the first BASE as in his career or first in the history of Hoy?

So, how shall we count Tim's jump in 2010?

youtube.com/watch?v=eaiuby7BjzQ&
 mattrm 20 Apr 2012
In reply to mloskot:
> (In reply to UKC News) the first BASE as in his career or first in the history of Hoy?
>
> So, how shall we count Tim's jump in 2010?
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=eaiuby7BjzQ&

Which is off the Old Man of Hoy. This is a jump of St John's head. Two different places. Two different jumps. Both firsts. Both jumpers are nuts! Very impressed by the vid, pity about the music tho.

Tom F Harding 20 Apr 2012
In reply to Meeker:

> On a side note, the island of Hoy has 6 miles of good quality climbing to be done (not all of it super hard either) and 99.9% of it has never been touched before.

If anyone wants high res aerial photography of the whole coast line drop me a line. We flew the entire west coast at 700'. I can confirm there are countless amazing lines to be had.
 mloskot 20 Apr 2012
In reply to The_flying_climber: Pity http://openaerialmap.org/ is offline, it would be a sweet treat to upload your photos there.
 Meeker 20 Apr 2012
In reply to mloskot:
Tim, Gus and Roger were definately the first to BASE on Hoy! I owe Tim (& others) a lot for helping to provide me with the intel to do this jump.
 Pinhead27 20 Apr 2012
In reply to simes303:
> (In reply to robertmichaeladams)
>
> I agree too. A nice tune and good video. Si.

+1
John1923 20 Apr 2012
In reply to Webster:

Perfectly legal from cliffs, the cost guard will even direct you to the exit point on beachy head if you get lost.

(So I am told)
 mloskot 21 Apr 2012
In reply to mattrm: Thanks for correction. I posted my response in rush and I confused the two cliffs. My bad.
 USBRIT 22 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:Good one ..Sure beats the Bear effort.
 chrisbevins 23 Apr 2012
nice job dude! see you in the valley
 Lankyman 23 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: did anyone ask the gannets? It certainly spooked a lot of them off their nests.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...