UKC

Earphones for running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 04 Jul 2012
I don't normally run with music but have taken the foolish step of entering the Lakeland 100 in a few weeks time. On long runs I sometimes get a few lines from a song stuck in my head on loop and the though of this happening for 30 odd hours on the 100 fills me with dread, so I though I would take an MP3 player.

The only earphones I have ever used are the ipod standard plastic things, they fall out.

Can anyone suggest earphones that aren't likely to fall out and are cheap!

roypartington 04 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett:
This is a very personnel choice so you are probably going to get bombarded with everyones choices. I would suggest you try the cheaper options first to see how you get on with them rather than the more expensive ones which you mmay or may not get on with.
I personnally prefer the little wrap around ones that wrap around the back of the ear and the speaker section sits over the ear rather than plugging into the ear.
I have a pair that cost a tenner or there abouts from comet similar to the below but mine unlike the below link do not push into the ear. They never ever fall off and when your running top quality is not top of the list as your too busy concentrating on not giving in to wonder if the sound has too much bass or treble etc.
As I say I would try the cheaper priced options first to see which type suits you.
http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Around-Ear-Clip/buy-JVC-HA-EBX85W-Around-Ear-Clip/...
James1982 04 Jul 2012
Don't mean to hijack but would be interested in hearing people's more expensive, better quality recommendations as well as the cheaper options as I'm also in the market for some that won't fall out (but that also sound good). I get particularly sweaty ears, which is nice.
mark js 04 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett:

I use some basic Sennheiser units with a wrap-over loop that fits over and behind the ear - they were under £20 and are very comfortable. Never had them fall out which was a continual issue with the standard iphone units. I use them 3-4 times per week for running, they seem to do the job very well.
 yorkshireman 04 Jul 2012
In reply to James1982:
> Don't mean to hijack but would be interested in hearing people's more expensive, better quality recommendations as well as the cheaper options as I'm also in the market for some that won't fall out (but that also sound good). I get particularly sweaty ears, which is nice.

I think high fidelity audio is something that should be low on the list of priorities - yes it needs to sound decent, but chugging your way through 30 hours of ultra is hardly the time for appreciating the finer nuances of the music. You need something that is rugged, won't fall out, won't be uncomfortable after contnuous use etc.

I've tried a few - I prefer the style of ones that loop over the ears and round the back of the neck - they don't fall out, don't need to be as tight in your ear to be secure, and you can quickly pull them off and have them round your neck for a few minutes rather than having wires dangling everywhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PMX-680-High-Performance-Headphone/dp/B0...
I found the Senheiser ones OK, but the wiring to one earphone stopped working after a few weeks (I was only training running to and from work, so they weren't getting too much hammer). Senheiser customer support ignored my repeated emails so I'm not getting a replacement.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHQ4000-10-Headphones-Anti-Bacterial/dp/B00...
I bought a pair of these as an emergency purchase at Gatwick airport and used them on an 85km ultra in France - they were great during the race, fairly comfortable, very lightweight etc. However they're quite delicate and I've had to secure one of the earphones with gaffer tape.

After all that, I paid £5 in SportsDirect and bought some crappy pair Karrimor or something headphones in a similar style - they're doing OK, comfortable enough and cheap enough that I don't mind trashing them/binning them if necessary.
 iccle_bully 04 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett:

I find the in ear bud earphones the most comfortable and least likely to pop out. Mine came with different size buds so you can use the best fit for you. The trick I found is to pull the top of your ear up with one hand and put the earphone in you ear with the other, that way you get a really good solid fit. I've run lots and in rain with them and they've been fine.

A lot of it will come down to personal choice, I find the wrap around ones irritating and given the unexpected places I've ended up with blisters after a few hours running, can imagine them being a nightmare!
 Voltemands 04 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett: I've been using the basic sony jobbies from argos, search ear phones on their site and you'll easily come across them. They are about £6, never come out, good sound quality for price and last about 12 months of very heavy abuse/use including repeated use in heavy rain.
 _MJC_ 04 Jul 2012
In reply to Voltemands: Yeah can't fault those.
eskimo77 04 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett:

These are superb:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMagic-PL30-In-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0030ZERI...

Cheap(ish), great sound quality for the price, bombproof when running.
James1982 05 Jul 2012
Good selection of choices, cheers all. Have gone for those Sound Magic ones. Most of my running is just on the roads around East London so sound quality definitely important plus the sound isolation will help block out the sirens.
 Euge 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett: The trouble with sound isolation is that you hear your feet pounding more and internal breathing/swallowing etc...

I use Sennheisser with the fins, the older version of these and they are great

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-MX-680-High-Performance-Earphones/dp/B00...

Euge 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Euge: Found them.... these are great and fantastic sound

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-MX-75-headphones-ear-bud/dp/B000FJEYZS/r...

Euge
XXXX 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett:

See you there.

I'm leaving my ipod at home. I think for training music is vital but for races you need a different mentality. Music blocks out the good noises, the camaraderie and the support, that get you round.

I've considered it for lonely parts at night, but actually, I think it will take something away from the experience.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Eric the Red:
> I think it will take something away from the experience.

I agree. I've never understood why so many people listen to music when running in the hills. Half the point of it for me is to connect with nature, so why isolate yourself from it?
Removed User 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett: A couple of years ago I bought some iGrado headphones, i very much agree with the guy who served me in Richer Sounds, "they're awesome man". I wear them running and cycling and can hear approaching traffic when on the road and in winter they keep my ears warm! A bonus was that my first pair packed up after 11 months, possibly due to misuse, I took them back to Richer Sounds and within 5 minutes walked out a new pair without a single quibble about the warranty the design has been slightly modified and they are now perfect. 10/10 for the headphones and the supplier.
 And Climb 06 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett: I bought some £10 sony ones off Amazon. They're in ear and don't have those things that loop over your ears. They stay in fine usually.
 The New NickB 06 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett:

I don't run with earphones, I don't like it for all sorts of reasons. I do use earphones at the gym and in the past have had all sorts of problems with various cheap and more expensive earphones. I won some Sennheiser Adidas PMX 680 through Run Britain, which stay in well and have good sound quality. They are not sound cancelling though as they are intended for outdoor use and giving you some awareness of the sounds around you such as cars. I think they are about £40.
 kbow265 06 Jul 2012
In reply to ablackett: I buy these http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/signalex-audio-gear-sk770-supe... or similar ones which come in a little box from pound shops. I find if you remove the rubber on the end they stay in better, but it is best to take a spare as they can break especially if there is a lot of flexing at the jack.
 Indy 08 Jul 2012
In reply to James1982:

A BIG serious warning!

I had a credit note for a shop that I wasn't likely to use again coupled with need for a new pair of head phones. I would usually pay around £30 to £40 for a pair.

With the credit note and my normal headphone budget with a bit more I got a pair of Shure SE310. cost was £175

To say I was blown away would be an understatement The sound quality was more than superb. They fitted beautifully and stayed in even when running.

After about a year the sound in one ear started to go. Due to their cost I called Shure who told me to send them back for checks. I then received a completely new boxed pair a few days later.

So why the warning?

There's no way I can afford to replace them and I simply CANNOT listen to music through standard headphones anymore it sounds like its being played through 6 feet of wet cardboard.

So be warned!

Indy 08 Jul 2012
In reply to eskimo77:

Sorry I can't edit my original post but wanted to say that I agree that hi fi head phones aren't really needed for running but I've found in general the sub £15/20 price bracket tend break quite easily. I've had pairs where the sound goes in one ear to the point where its more cost effective to get a slightly more expensive pair in the first place. O.K probably my own fault for playing Da Rude Sandstorm at full volume when running
 Stopsy 20 Aug 2012
In reply to ablackett:

I've also had continual problem with running with music, used to try and use it for training, but have found its a very good way of breaking headphones.

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/powerbeats/beats-by-dre-powe...

used to have a set of these, sound quality incredible, hooked over the ear well, stayed in place, etc . however soon the audio went in one ear. repeated messages to the retailer with no success. now I consider them far too expensive to use to not get the warranty.

Have been recommended the sennheiser-addidas headphones on a similar design. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H1421ZM/A?fnode=75&fs=m.tsOtherFeatur...

sorry if any of this has already been mentioned.

also on a closing note, I found carrying an iPod with me always felt bulky and the weight of it distracted from my running. typically like to run light with minimum fuss.

All the best.
 simon cox 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:

No, seriously thanks for this - I suspected this was true, that is, you can get awesome quality for a hefty investment. I used to have some of the wrap around the ear jobbies (senheiser I think)... these sounded ok but fell to bits too quickly... at present I use normal iphone head phones with a buff to keep them in place but running movement can give horrid distortion effects...

When I get some money, this will be an early investment.

For those out on the hill for a long time, I would be surprised if there aren't some moments when one would really benefit from some good sounds... starting out on the Paddy Buckley this year at 4AM (I did the first four sections solo) I really valued some motivational sounds to get me going... On the Lakes 100 I am sure a few would enjoy some AC DC during the night (Highway to Hell?) and a bit of Rachmaninov during some sunnier moments?
Though when I did the Lakes 50 as a bit of light training after reading "Born to Run" (the best ever running book?)I did leave the ipod at home and had some cracking banter... I also thought the food was excellent... but couldn't understand why you dont go to the tops of any hills - whats that about?

Enjoy,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...