UKC

Great cover tracks that rival the original

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gd303uk 09 Aug 2012

this track was good to start with and made better by the cover.
the Leaves did "hey joe" first then Hendrix made it his, and the last few years I have been enjoying this version, Buckwheat Zydeco does this tune good.
youtube.com/watch?v=xukfOWjqwM4&

another great cover song is Johny cash singing a Nine inch Nails tune' Hurt,
youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go&

what other tracks /songs do you know of that are great versions of somebody else's ?
 Al Evans 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: How about Joe Cockers 'With a Little Help From My Friends'?
 Al Evans 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans: But please don't anybody say 'Mr Tambourine Man' by the Byrds, because much as I like them it's crap compared to Dylans version. Actually I can't think of any Dylan song that is covered better than the original.
What Goes Up 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: I rate REM's unplugged version of One over U2's, and has the added bonus of not having Bono in it.

And while the Zutons' version was great, I have a feeling that the Amy Winehouse / Mark Ronson one will end up as the definitive version of Valerie.

Just a couple off the top of my head - must be loads, and all very subjective of course.
What Goes Up 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to gd303uk) How about Joe Cockers 'With a Little Help From My Friends'?

Yup, that's a good shout.

In reply to gd303uk: Hendrix's All along the watchtower is the definitive reading. The Byrds Mr Tambourine Man similarly.

Thea Gilmore's done some nice ones - You Spin Me Round and Ever Fallen In Love With Someone are the equal or better than the originals. And for something very left field, look up Jim Moray's take on Fleetwood Mac's Big Love.

T.
 toad 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Kirsty McColl - New England? In fact most Billy Bragg covers are better than the original. He's a fantastic writer, but he can't sing for toffee
 mikehike 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

When it comes to covers Gruhak are the guys

Gruhak Covers - Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb - The Wall

youtube.com/watch?v=etEbhHAsgMA&
 Al Evans 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Ever Fallen In Love With Someone? Better than The Buzzcocks?
In reply to Al Evans:
> Actually I can't think of any Dylan song that is covered better than the original.

There we must disagree, Al. I rate him highly as a songwriter but many of his songs are better delivered by others. Subterranean Homesick Blues is the only original I've heard which I can't imagine being bettered though my knowledge of his canon of work isn't exhaustive.

T.
 mikehike 09 Aug 2012
In reply to mikehike:
Gruhak - Baba O'Reilly - Gruhak covers best classic rock songs by Who, Floyd, Zeppelin, Doors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_8GyaWKEA&feature=plcp
 Al Evans 09 Aug 2012
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to gd303uk) Kirsty McColl - New England? In fact most Billy Bragg covers are better than the original. He's a fantastic writer, but he can't sing for toffee

Ah no, I disagree, it's not called crap singing it's called singing with soul, Billy certainly does that.
In reply to Al Evans: I think so, but the style is very different indeed - which is how a good cover should be. Much more laid back, regret rather than anger; a sadder, more mature reading.

T.
 Al Evans 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> There we must disagree, Al. I rate him highly as a songwriter but many of his songs are better delivered by others. Subterranean Homesick Blues is the only original I've heard which I can't imagine being bettered though my knowledge of his canon of work isn't exhaustive.
>
> T.

You are so wrong BD is definitely the best singer of his own songs, if you want a soft example 'Knockin on Heavens Door' covered by many but without the feeling of the original, and who else could even begin to sing 'Tales of Yankee Power' like Dylan does.
 Fiona Reid 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

> another great cover song is Johny cash singing a Nine inch Nails tune' Hurt,

I quite like the version by Kermit (prob. not work/ or child friendly!)
youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU&

New Order's Ceremony covered by Radiohead
youtube.com/watch?v=6xliP7OdBtM&
In reply to gd303uk: And Loudon Wainwright III and Shawn Colvin's cover of Richard Thompson's A Heart Needs A Home is one I'll take to a desert island, should I ever be stranded on one with my choice of listening.

T.
OP gd303uk 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: some good tunes mentioned above,

at the other end of the spectrum is this youtube.com/watch?v=P5OO-RAzvbI&
some of Nouvelle Vague can be ok at times

here is a brilliant cover of a snoop dog tune the guards a blue grass band do good with this cover youtube.com/watch?v=H4hGSR5njZE& enjoy

And i wish this was longer; Nina Gordon does Straight outa Compton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2EGOB9-lc&feature=related

Fredt 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Actually I can't think of any Dylan song that is covered better than the original.

Fairport Convention did at least two Dylan songs better than Dylan; Percy's Song and Si Tu Doir Partir.
 BenedictIEP 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Streetlight Manifesto Covering Radioheads Just
youtube.com/watch?v=q98yicOE6ho&
Superb
 Fredt 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl covering Cole Porter's "Miss Otis Regrets/Just One of Those Things"
 Tiberius 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

The Civil Wars version of Billie Jean

youtube.com/watch?v=MZhIm-XtZIk&
Wonko The Sane 09 Aug 2012
Wonko The Sane 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Hayseed Dixie do a fine version of Motorhead's Ace Of Spades, well worth a listen.

T.
In reply to gd303uk: Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World.

Al
 Blue Straggler 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Looks like you have inspired people to post a load of "novelty" covers. Bad luck!
 Fiona Reid 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Pet Shop Boys Go West (original by Village People) and Always on My Mind (original by Elvis)
 coinneach 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Fiona Reid:

This takes some beating.......................class!

youtube.com/watch?v=pv2J09XgO2g&
In reply to gd303uk:

Or, if not a novelty, there'll be a lot of answers of the form
"A song I first heard done by an artist I like anyway, which turned out to be a cover of a song by someone who I don't like to listen to"

e.g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF8pkI6Vowo&feature=related
 tombawimba 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

sweet dreams by Marilyn Manson
youtube.com/watch?v=m6VojYGrnpg&

and heart attack and vine by tom waits (orig screamin jay hawkins)

youtube.com/watch?v=tHw3CiaOcT4&
 tombawimba 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

and mad world (tears for fears)
by Gary Jules.

and
my favourite cover
Billie Jean by the civil wars
youtube.com/watch?v=MZhIm-XtZIk&
 Padraig 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Born to Run (Springsteen)

youtube.com/watch?v=BTStMImOtuU&

olidea 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
Street Spirit - The Darkness
youtube.com/watch?v=H4O4HiseEOA&
drmarten 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
How about a cover of a cover?
Dave Phillips "Tainted Love"
youtube.com/watch?v=0NSWZr9OO1w&

which I would say is a cover of Soft Cell covering Gloria Jones.

I suspect Louie Louie would make a a thread of its own. I never got round to buying the Louie Louie album (all covers) but have now managed to get somewhere in the region of 25-30 versions. The Kingsmen version remains my favourite edging out Richard Berry's original.
 stonemaster 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Black Magic Woman Peter Greenwood, v Carlos Santana's version; like both.
 Doug 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Humo en el agua (smoke on the water) by Senor Coconut or Santana's version of Black Magic Woman are pretty good
In reply to gd303uk:

(Sorry, midst all this Olympic excitement, re. Bolt getting 200m gold) I've always thought Simply Red's version of Ella Fitzgerald's 'Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye' was quite a classic example.
youtube.com/watch?v=ej2VHWftwdQ&
 alooker 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and Jimi Hendrix's cover of Dylan's All Along the Watchtower are the classics
 alooker 09 Aug 2012
In reply to tombawimba: It's a Tom Wait's original composition actually, Waits won a lawsuit because it was used on some advert without his consent if i remember correctly.
 The Pylon King 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

No cover is better than the original as it is a cover and by default inferior.

Is a copy of a Van Gogh better than the original?
 Tom Last 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Nirvana - Love Buzz
Madness - It Must Be Love
OP gd303uk 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Pylon King Liberation Front: did you hear johny Cash singing Hurt? then listen to Nails, which one do you like best?
there are plenty of covers that are better than the original.
In reply to Pylon King Liberation Front:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
>
>
> Is a copy of a Van Gogh better than the original?

What an appallingly misguided analogy
 deepsoup 09 Aug 2012
In reply to alooker:
> It's a Tom Wait's original composition actually, Waits won a lawsuit because it was used on some advert without his consent if i remember correctly.

I think you're right about that. The ad was for Levis jeans: youtube.com/watch?v=WrN6wb1Lgzk&
 birdie num num 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
The Boxer. Bob Dylan (Self Portrait)
 David Hooper 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: human leagues version of Gordon gin rather than cinema advert version

Befs version of wichita linesman
 mike123 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: never thoght i d say it but heres a very favourable joy division cover
youtube.com/watch?v=QIQcznm4lZk&
 caravanshaker 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Van Canto doing an a cappella cover of Battery by Metallica: rakkatakka-tastic!!
youtube.com/watch?v=BEwNrjvNiYs&

deepsoup 09 Aug 2012
In reply to tombawimba:
> my favourite cover
> Billie Jean by the civil wars
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZhIm-XtZIk

I might have posted that if it hadn't been done twice already. Wonderful stuff. :O)

I think their cover of Leonard Cohen's Dance Me To The End Of Love just pips it for me though. Makes me cry.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Walk Off The Earth yet - just on the offchance there's anyone left on the internet who hasn't seen it yet, I'll nominate their version of "Somebody That I Used to Know":
youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M&

drmarten 09 Aug 2012
In reply to deepsoup:
> Nobody seems to have mentioned Walk Off The Earth yet - just on the offchance there's anyone left on the internet who hasn't seen it yet, I'll nominate their version of "Somebody That I Used to Know":
> youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M&

(Cough) there's one less person on the internet who hasn't seen it now. Great video.

John_Hat 09 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

I prefer Cradle of Filth's version of "No time to Cry" and Creaming Jesus' version of "A Forest" to the originals of both...

The Pylon King 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Pylon King Liberation Front)
> [...]
>
>
> What an appallingly misguided analogy

Good eh!

I think i'm on a roll tonight.

> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> Good eh!
>
> I think i'm on a roll tonight.

Yes, I meant to add a "(but I think you know that and you are just playing)", but I was in a rush to nip out to the offie
 stonemaster 09 Aug 2012
In reply to drmarten: And moi. Nice one, deepsoup.
Tim Chappell 09 Aug 2012
The Waterboys' Sweet Thing is way better than Van Morrison's.

Between Dylan's All Along The Watchtower and Hendrix', it's too close to call.

And normally I hate Phil Collins with a passion verging on mania, but his version of Can't Hurry Love is a million billion gazillion times better than Diana Ross's or whoever did it first.

Oh, and the Commitments do a better Chain of Fools than Aretha.
In reply to gd303uk: More a tribute than a cover; Radiohead do New Order's Ceremony.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcF0bexWsos
 Gazlynn 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Public Enemies Black Steel by Tricky

Awesome

youtube.com/watch?v=TDHl5djnYM4&

edwardwoodward 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Gazlynn:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
>
>
> Public Enemies Black Steel by Tricky
>
> Awesome

Excellent track - didn't know it was a cover till now.

Surprisingly not mentioned yet:
This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren

Flying Lizards did loads of excellent covers. Money was a hit for them, but things like Suzanne, Then He Kissed Me and Summertime Blues were better.

But the best cover for me is this:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5b5_1250316539
In reply to gd303uk: A link to the Jim Moray cover of Big Love I mentioned a while back. youtube.com/watch?v=IjgZyOIfPR0&

Played on a banjo; which is nice.

T.
In reply to gd303uk:

John Lennon's "Nobody loves you when you're down and out" is my favorite version of that song.
 Andy Say 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
Richard Thompson covering Britney Spears (if you can avoid visualising that it would be good.....) 'Oops, I did it again'.

youtube.com/watch?v=rAS4ltt7DzI&
 paul-1970 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
Jennifer Warnes' "Famous Blue Raincoat" album is a collection of Leonard Cohen covers, and almost all of her versions and arrangements are superior to Laughing Len's originals. Nirvana's unplugged session also included a sublime version of "Man who sold the world" and, of course, a totally arresting and head-turning cover of "Where did you sleep last night?".

One for the wilfully obtuse or perverse, but Duran Duran's cover of "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed is, again, superior to the original. Even Reed himself has acknowledged this, and the rather woozy version that Simon and the boys recorded show that they understood what they were doing and the type of song "Perfect Day" really is.

Though it has to be said that their version of Public Enemy's "911 is a joke" really really DOES have to be heard to be believed. Jaw-droppingly awful and almost bizarre in its misguidedness. Rich and fat Simon half-rapping and singing about the police not answering his emergency call and getting to his gated mansion house quickly enough.
In reply to Al Evans:
> Actually I can't think of any Dylan song that is covered better than the original.

Dylan hasn't got the greatest voice. Distinctive yes. But not great. Fairport Conventions version of I'll Keep It With Mine far surpasses Dylan.

Off Dylan, Marillions version of Radioheads Fake Plastic Trees is outstanding, and their cover of Britney Spears Toxic is something else!
 The Pylon King 10 Aug 2012
> (In reply to Pylon King Liberation Front)
> [...]
>
> Yes, I meant to add a "(but I think you know that and you are just playing)", but I was in a rush to nip out to the offie

yep, i am just being my usual tw*ttish self!
> (In reply to gd303uk)
>
> No cover is better than the original as it is a cover and by default inferior.

Absolute rubbish!
 soularch 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: California Stars - Jeff Tweedy (Guthrie original) and Throw Your Arms Around Me - Crowded House (Hunter and Collectors original).
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2012
In reply to alooker:
> (In reply to gd303uk) Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and Jimi Hendrix's cover of Dylan's All Along the Watchtower are the classics

Thats one of the few Dylan covers I will give way on.
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2012
In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
> The Boxer. Bob Dylan (Self Portrait)

Much as I like Dylan I'm not sure thats a better version than Paul Simons, Simons has a greater sence of the innocence required to sing a line like 'I do believe there were times when I was so lonely I took some comfort there'.
 John H Bull 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
The Fall's cover of Sister Sledge's Lost in Music - exemplary.

Sun Kil Moon's album 'Tiny Cities' - a brilliant collection of very mutated versions of Modest Mouse originals. I'd never heard Modest Mouse when I first heard it, and their own versions turn out to be pretty good too. But still, you'd be forgiven for thinking it might have been the other way round.
 PeterM 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Grateful Dead's Ripple - Janes Addiction
Fleetwood Mac's Landslide - Smashing Pumpkins
Thin Lizzy's Dancing In The Moonlight - Smashing Pumpkins
War Pigs and Easy Like Sunday Morning - Faith No More
Surfin Bird - Ramones
Romeo and Juliet - The Killers
Hey Joe - NIck Cave (Kicking against teh Pricks is a whole album of covers all pretty good)
Feeling Good - Muse
The Gun Club's 'Carry Home' by Mark Lanegan
 Rubbishy 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

I always thought the Bauhaus cover of Ziggy was better than the orginal.
 PeterM 10 Aug 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
>
> I always thought the Bauhaus cover of Ziggy was better than the orginal.

Correct!

Hat Dude 10 Aug 2012
In reply to stonemaster:
> Black Magic Woman Peter Greenwood, v Carlos Santana's version; like both.

Did he spit on Carlos' guitar as he went past it?
Clauso 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

This cover of John Cage's 4'33" is sublime.... I particularly enjoy the second movement.

youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E&
 graeme jackson 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Sinead o'connor - Nothing compares 2 u
manfred mann's earth band - blinded by the light
Yes -- America
 Clarence 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Because of the fact that everything sounds better on a ukulele, the Re-entrants covers of everything sound better than the original...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ME78FKFfGk&feature=related
 alooker 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans: Agreed. I'll be having none of this Mr Tambourine man Byrds crap! There's also an amazing cover from Jeff Buckley of farewell angelina, I'm no JB obsessive but I think he really 'got' where Dylan was coming from and he just took it an extra few percent in his own direction so his covers work really well.
 franksnb 10 Aug 2012
holy $hit are you kidding. I'd like to line you up and run past with a heavy dead fish slapping you about the face repeatedly. if you think this applies to you it does. apart from johny cash's Hurt cover, I can agree with that
In reply to gd303uk: I'd forgotten this one as though it's in the music collection, it's a bit off the mainstream of my usual listening. However, Sade's cover of Timmy Thomas's song Why Can't We Live Together is wonderful.

T.
 crustypunkuk 10 Aug 2012
Just about every cover played by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes are better than the originals.
Same could be said for Snuff, especially 'Theme from Bran Flakes', or 'In Sickness and in Health' and 'Rivers of Babylon'.
 d_b 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans: I disagree.

I can't stand Dylans voice, and find it impossible to listen to his version of anything. A mediocre cover is better than the original.
 Cruty Rammers 10 Aug 2012

Hayseed's covers of *anything* are better than the original. Fact.
In reply to alfadax:
> (In reply to Pursued by a bear)
>
> Hayseed's covers of *anything* are better than the original. Fact.

Only when you see them live. I find their albums to be rather sterile and soulless.

MonkeyPuzzle 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

**BLASPHEMY ALERT** The Black Crowes version of Hard To Handle just about pips Otis Redding's original.
 Steve John B 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Big Black - The Model

Langley Schools Music Project - I'm Into Something Good

Grateful Dead - loads! esp. Me & My Uncle, Hard to Handle, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, It's All Over Now Baby Blue etc etc
In reply to gd303uk:
Big Tuna's version of Poker Face makes the original sound like a Lady gaga song
OP gd303uk 10 Aug 2012
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle: the Black crows version of sweet nothing is rather good though youtube.com/watch?v=lf9-BCix4io&

but not as good as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0yki1xLu4&feature=related

enjoy
In reply to gd303uk:

The Paul Young version of Love Will Tear Us Apart is sublime.
OP gd303uk 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Pylon King Liberation Front: lol I am onto you pylon
get back under your bridge sir.
 eglwyseg-andy 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Maybe not better than the original but a great cover of a great song

Thom Yorke singing Afterhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fAz54YWw6I&playnext=1&list=PL7BFE3C... the Gold Rush

OP gd303uk 10 Aug 2012
In reply to eglwyseg-andy: very nice
In reply to gd303uk:
> (In reply to Pylon King Liberation Front) lol I am onto you pylon
> get back under your bridge sir.

sorry.
 EarlyBird 10 Aug 2012
In reply to PeterM:

You're not Pete Murphy are you?
 icnoble 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: One of the best covers is Chers version of Walking in Memphis
 Mooncat 10 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil, Liz Fraser's voice was made for this.

Jeff Buckleys Hallelujah.
In reply to Al Evans:
> Actually I can't think of any Dylan song that is better than the covers.

Fixed.

Paul Anka does Van Halen's "Jump" better than they do...

youtube.com/watch?v=k_cmmCRVs38&

Alex Slipchuk 11 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to gd303uk) How about Joe Cockers 'With a Little Help From My Friends'?

After clicking on older posts, and awaiting the usual guff to unfold. I was pleasantly surprised to see this. Right on the money Al. Check out Dixie Beaver's "wagonwheel". Only available as rare live recording. (that's the Scottish and best Dixie beaver) on facebook somewhere
In reply to What Goes Up:
> (In reply to gd303uk) I rate REM's unplugged version of One over U2's, and has the added bonus of not having Bono in it.

wasn't aware of this version, but had a look. confirmed what i thought, that whatever people may think of him as a person, bono's vocal on "one" is a truly great performance. i love REM, but stipe's voice does not suit this song at all...

In reply to olidea:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
> Street Spirit - The Darkness
> youtube.com/watch?v=H4O4HiseEOA&

yikes. that's truly grim.

In reply to gd303uk:

another vote for "hurt"

there are some songs that just can't be covered though- the original leaves no room for improvement. i think "one" is one of them, also "bridge over troubled water"- even Cash couldn't improve on that

cheers
gregor
 Skyfall 11 Aug 2012
No better but different - Stairway to Heaven (Rodrigo y Gabriela) - stunning instrumental version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8HjnxOodm4&feature=related
 Alex Slipchuk 11 Aug 2012
In reply to JonC:
> No better but different - Stairway to Heaven (Rodrigo y Gabriela) - stunning instrumental version
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8HjnxOodm4&feature=rel...

FFS. Rolf Harris!
 Al Evans 11 Aug 2012
In reply to icnoble:
> (In reply to gd303uk) One of the best covers is Chers version of Walking in Memphis

Agreed!
 The Pylon King 11 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Money - The Flying Lizards

Warm Leatherette - The Normal
OP gd303uk 12 Aug 2012
In reply to Mooncat: Good call, Liza Frazier has a great voice, have you heard Tim Buckley's version of song to siren?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b49YfsjXw5E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bulls Crack 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Frank sinatra - My Way - firstly Frank's cover of the original french song and then the Pistols' version!
 Dom Whillans 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
XTC's All Along the Watchtower blows Dylan out of the water in ny opinion...
Being a fan of Dark Side of the Moon for 20 years; i was introduced to the Easy Star Allstars' Dub Side of the Moon and it's so good I can no longer listen to the Floyd without wishing it was as good as the reggae version.
 Chris the Tall 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
Raveonettes cover of I wanna be adored

youtube.com/watch?v=6zbdrabfQc0&

For those of us who love the Stone Roses, but aren't quite so keen on Ian Browns' voice
pasbury 13 Aug 2012
It's a close call but the Delgados did Mr Blue Sky for a peel session and I think it just pips the original.

In contrast the Breeders version of Happiness is a Warm Gun buries the original six feet deep.
 Pete Dangerous 13 Aug 2012
The Beatles - Twist and Shout (Originally The Isley Brothers)
youtube.com/watch?v=AA9maAERDAs&

Sonic Youth - Superstar (Originally The Carpenters)
youtube.com/watch?v=Y21VecIIdBI&

Eleanor Rigby - Aretha Franklin (Originally The Beatles)
youtube.com/watch?v=spXjauv0NSM&

Smashing Pumpkins - Dancing in the Moonlight (Originally Thin Lizzy)
youtube.com/watch?v=xBhPuv_rvcI&
Actually, stop the press;

Julio Iglesias - La Mer (Originally Charles Trenet and Jack Lawrence)
youtube.com/watch?v=MLuCfWEZ_hQ&
 Blue Straggler 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Emiliana Torrini's "If You Go Away" (version of Ne Me Quitte Pas by Jacques Brel)
Rebekah del Rio - Llorando (Originally Roy Orbison's song "Crying")
youtube.com/watch?v=AIpkMg9sh6Q&

Such a powerful piece of music
wcdave 13 Aug 2012
 geordiepie 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Guns n Roses version of Live and Let Die
 mark20 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
Judas Priest - Green Manalishi
 Goucho 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Johhny Winters covers of a number of Stones tracks are fabulous - Jumping Jack Flash in particular is epic!
 Solar 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Her eyes are a blue million miles - Shortstack cover of the Captain Beefheart song.

Bob Kemp 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
I love Cat Power's cover of Satisfaction, which entirely ditches the over-familiar chorus and creates something much bleaker in the process.

youtube.com/watch?v=kFUcA5Kfw50&

MJ 13 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Dear Prudence: -

youtube.com/watch?v=25weBjXioB0&
 Bob Kemp 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I also really enjoy the Balanescu Quartet's arrangements of Kraftwerk, especially The Model. Surprisingly propulsive for a string quartet.

youtube.com/watch?v=-N7CkQ2-398&
In reply to mark20:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
> Judas Priest - Green Manalishi

and not forgetting Diamonds and Rust!

youtube.com/watch?v=-OHJP1BSVgM&
 Sankey 14 Aug 2012
A couple:

Ballboy: Born in the USA

youtube.com/watch?v=bqLyruEyD0E&

King of Convenience: Manhattan Skyline:

youtube.com/watch?v=_fUqB9i0CRE&

daveyb 14 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: The Futureheads Hounds of love
 eglwyseg-andy 14 Aug 2012
In reply to Dom Whillans: The Flaming Lips version of Dark Side of the Moon is also very good, takes a couple of listens though.
 graeme jackson 14 Aug 2012
In reply to Goucho:
> (In reply to gd303uk) Johhny Winters covers of a number of Stones tracks are fabulous - Jumping Jack Flash in particular is epic!

Good call on Johnny Winter. His live cover of Bony Moronie is incredible.
 graeme jackson 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Pete Gagie:
> Smashing Pumpkins - Dancing in the Moonlight (Originally Thin Lizzy)
> youtube.com/watch?v=xBhPuv_rvcI&

No-one can play Lizzy songs better than thin lizzy. However, Thin Lizzy's live version of rosalie is way better than bob seeger's original.
 Skip 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Dom Whillans:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
> XTC's All Along the Watchtower blows Dylan out of the water in ny opinion...
> Being a fan of Dark Side of the Moon for 20 years; i was introduced to the Easy Star Allstars' Dub Side of the Moon and it's so good I can no longer listen to the Floyd without wishing it was as good as the reggae version.

Dub Side of the Moon is a travesty, an appalling cover.

Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower is one of the greatest covers of all time, in my opinion.

May or may not have been mentioned: Don't Fear the Reaper by Apollo 440 (original Blue Oyster Cult)
 Pete Dangerous 15 Aug 2012
In reply to graeme jackson:

This is undeniably a great cover! Don't let your hard on for Thin Lizzy eclipse this great version
Tim Chappell 15 Aug 2012
 Mike-W-99 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:
Julie Fowlis - Blackbird
youtube.com/watch?v=gDxy0qXYR40&
jolivague 15 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Metallica - Turn The Page

youtube.com/watch?v=sMqNFAU0tOw&

Also quite a fan of what Marilyn Manson did to Sweet Dreams, turned it into a completely different song and made it his own *ducks head in case of flack for admitting liking MM*
 mark20 17 Aug 2012
RE: Bob Dylan covers
Jerry Garcia/The Grateful Dead did some great covers, I think they do a cracking job of "It Takes alot to Laugh.."
youtube.com/watch?v=emzY-7Riqas&
 Blue Straggler 23 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

A lot of people seem to like José Gonzalez' cover of Heartbeats more than the original. I don't.
 Dave Garnett 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy Say:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
> Richard Thompson covering Britney Spears (if you can avoid visualising that it would be good.....) 'Oops, I did it again'.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAS4ltt7DzI

Thanks for that - quite brilliant!

Boy, can he play guitar.
Tim Chappell 23 Aug 2012
 Duncan Bourne 23 Aug 2012
> (In reply to gd303uk)
>
> No cover is better than the original as it is a cover and by default inferior.
>
>
> Is a copy of a Van Gogh better than the original?

Alas this proves the error of that statement.
Badfinger are the original recording artists of "without you"
youtube.com/watch?v=PyBS_1vGwpU&

which Harry Nilsson later made his own with this definitive cover version
youtube.com/watch?v=vAX1rkdzUH4&
 Duncan Bourne 23 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
In additon to the above is Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt"

I also sometimes prefer Judas Priest's version of Joan Baez's "Diamond's and rust" both good.
youtube.com/watch?v=bpD5_c2j1OM&
youtube.com/watch?v=vLDazyvMMGw&
 DaveHK 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Actually I can't think of any Dylan song that is covered better than the original.

Martin Simpson doing Spanish Boots of Spanish Leather

youtube.com/watch?v=RUwK7kRibiI&
 Andy Hardy 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> [...] Actually I can't think of any Dylan song that is covered better than the original.

Dylan couldn't carry a tune in a bucket when he was in his 20's, and his voice has not aged well.

He writes good songs though.
 graeme jackson 24 Aug 2012
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> Dylan couldn't carry a tune in a bucket when he was in his 20's, and his voice has not aged well.
>

But his voice was ( and still is) perfect for the material he writes. Not many covers of his work get across the true emotion or meaning of his songs.
Tim Chappell 24 Aug 2012

Actually Dylan can (or could) sing. Listen to some of the tracks on New Morning or The Basement Tapes. He sings there.

When you hear him sing, you'll realise why he usually chooses to intone/ declaim rather than sing. It's not that he doesn't have a good voice. It's just that he's a far more interesting vocalist when he intones than when he sings.

The sounds Dylan makes with his mouth are simply amazing. Quite frankly, I've no interest at all in whether we should describe them as singing or not.

What is clear to anyone who listens is that he is never out of tune unless he means to be-- and also, that he has fantastic timing.
 JimboWizbo 24 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: I always liked Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams
 Tom Valentine 24 Aug 2012
In reply to Mooncat:

I think Buckley's "LiLac Wine" beats any other version.
 Tom Valentine 24 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Adele's "Make me Feel Your Love" is as good as Bob's; Winifred Horan and Mick McAuley's is even better.
 D_Wills 24 Aug 2012
one thats not great but better than the original

Limp Bizkit's version of George Michaels Faith

youtube.com/watch?v=l-EdCNjumvI&
 Blue Straggler 24 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Melanie's version of Ruby Tuesday is fab. Was the original by The Rolling Stones, or is it an older song?
 Paul Evans 25 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
John Cale's version of Elvis's "Heartbreak Hotel" (epic, and invents Goth 10 years before everyone else)
And in the "so bad it's good" category, William Shatner's cover of Pulp's "Common People".
Paul
OP gd303uk 25 Aug 2012
In reply to Paul Evans: I have not heard John Cale doing that tune, good find,
Cale for me is one of the most influential artist I know of, a musical genius.
 Al Evans 25 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: I was at the Isle of Wight in 1969, Dylan walked on stage in a white suit with a Fender Stratocaster and some people in the crowd booed, wanting to see the 'old Bob Dylan', Bobs first song was the Scottish folk song 'Wild Mountain Thyme', it was brilliant, after that he had the crowd in the palm of his hand, I guess that was Dylan doing a cover version
 John H Bull 25 Aug 2012
In reply to Paul Evans:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
> John Cale's version of Elvis's "Heartbreak Hotel"

Good call.

Here's one I really like: Fatima Mansions version of Nite Flights (Walker Brothers), really stunning heavy-duty sound compared with the somewhat tinny original.

Chay 25 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Not sure if it's been mentioned, probably has.

But didn't the manics cover "suicide is painless"..that was pretty good!
Tim Chappell 25 Aug 2012
Here's a superb cover of Shelter From The Storm by, er, Bob Dylan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnY18LRYRhQ&feature=related

I just love Hard Rain. And the video clips of him performing these marvellous songs are priceless. (Why are they all dressed for a nativity play? Never mind.)
 John H Bull 25 Aug 2012
Brilliant cover of his own song. They're dressed like that cos in a little hilltop village someone gambled for their clothes...
markwynneuk 25 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
Try Lissie's version of Bad Romance by lady gaga ( you might actually like the song after listening to this version)
youtube.com/watch?v=W2EJai-3k2w&

And Newton faulkner's version of teardrop by massive attack
youtube.com/watch?v=rjT86g9gTKk&
Daithi O Murchu 26 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Nina Simone version of Suzanne by L Cohen

youtube.com/watch?v=T3B0iJQcXmk&
> (In reply to gd303uk)
>
> A lot of people seem to like José Gonzalez' cover of Heartbeats more than the original. I don't.

post the original please cant find it
 Dominion 26 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Ciccone Youth - Addicted to Love (Robert Palmer)
youtube.com/watch?v=Xkn4a2K6Zms&

Nina Gordon - Straight Outta Compton (NWA)
youtube.com/watch?v=NG2EGOB9-lc&

Haruko Momoi - Video killed the Radio Star (The Buggles)
youtube.com/watch?v=uJsLpRXgApc&

Nickelback - Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting (Elton John)

youtube.com/watch?v=f9DJ5ilPzi0&

;-
NikNakUK 26 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Linkin Parks Version of One by U2

youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&
 Blue Straggler 26 Aug 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:

Good grief man. Can't you use Google, YouTube,a bit of imagination and common sense?
 David Hooper 26 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: think this thread would such me in too much just now. Ill return later
OP gd303uk 26 Aug 2012
In reply to David Hooper: There has been some great suggestions and a couple of painfull ones, impressed with what people have posted,
In reply to gd303uk:

Waylon Jennings me and Bobby McGee

youtube.com/watch?v=E1-_cZoUOEE&

makes me wana drive a truck
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:

Fretkllr - Wayfaring Stranger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfGLyMfZVxc&feature=relmfu

the original may be a bit vague to pin down on this one but this is a great version, best i've heard anyhow

love this for those melancholy moods

OP gd303uk 26 Aug 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: Good stuff,
I used to think I hated country music but there are some absolute gems out there, good music is good no matter what it is,

Here is a little twist on a country song a cover of the Beatles track , For no one, by Emmylou Harris . Brilliantly done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIy2Lz_Evio&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I do like a good blues tune and when looking for footage of Mississippi John Hurt I was pleased to find this singer , she can play , check out her other tunes, great interpretations of some brilliant blues classics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3j8scm3VaA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
 colin harvey 26 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: has anyone mentioned Guitar Wolf with Summertime Blues?
youtube.com/watch?v=lLTJAZu70zo&
drmarten 27 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
I hate to do this to Nick Cave but Camille O'Sullivans version of the Ship Song runs him close.

youtube.com/watch?v=sdLrwH2Ib68&

PeterM 27 Aug 2012
In reply to David Hooper:
> (In reply to gd303uk) think this thread would such me in too much just now. Ill return later

Yes, too much suching is always a bad thing....
 Doug 27 Aug 2012
In reply to PeterM: Maybe neither original or cover known in the UK but over the weekend I heard Ilo Veyou, the new album from Camille, which includes a song which apparently is a cover of a Johnny Hallyday song from years ago.

An extract youtube.com/watch?v=YPKP-_1tlZ8& (the cover, not the original)

> The sounds Dylan makes with his mouth are simply amazing

That's as maybe, but the sounds made by his nose are so unremittingly awful that I can hardly bear to listen. So I'm a '+1' on the 'any cover of a Dylan track is better than the original'. Even Neil Young, and his voice is pretty dire, too...
 graeme jackson 30 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

I've surprised myself in preferring Eric Clapton's cover of Cocaine to the JJ cale original.
 Blue Straggler 30 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
This might fall into the realm of "novelty", thus making me a hypocrite, but hey ho.
Laura Cantrell's recording of New Order's "Love Vigilantes" is brilliant.
 MJ 30 Aug 2012

I've surprised myself in preferring Eric Clapton's cover of Cocaine to the JJ cale original.

I remember when Guns N' Roses released 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' and someone in work remarked: "Who do they think they are? It's sacrilegious that they've covered a Clapton classic".
 Rich W Parker 30 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Ataris version of Boys of Summer.
 Andúril 30 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

The Metallica version of Turn the Page by Bob Seger.
 Darrengold 31 Aug 2012
In reply to John Stainforth: Who did the original?

The only song I can find with a similar name is "nobody knows you...." by Jimmy Cox but that has different lyrics and music.
 Darrengold 31 Aug 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Apparently this is Kim Wildes favourite version of Kids in America : youtube.com/watch?v=iJz6_PEu6Iw&
 Blue Straggler 31 Aug 2012
In reply to Darrengold:
> (In reply to John Stainforth) Who did the original?

John Lennon wrote it and his recording is on a 1974 album. I don't know if John Stainforth was somehow making a statement about liking this original version more than any covers - maybe there are some famous covers of it, I don't know! Maybe John Stainforth simply assumed Lennon's version was a cover
 Darrengold 31 Aug 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: Ahh ok. It's just that the thread is about cover versions that rival the originals, so I assumed from JS's post that Lennon had covered this song. I did have an album with it on, think it was Menlove Avenue and always assumed he'd written it.
 hokkyokusei 31 Aug 2012
> (In reply to gd303uk)
> This might fall into the realm of "novelty", thus making me a hypocrite, but hey ho.
> Laura Cantrell's recording of New Order's "Love Vigilantes" is brilliant.

Also Nouvaux Vague's cover of bizarre love triangle
 hokkyokusei 31 Aug 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> Also Nouvaux Vague's cover of bizarre love triangle

Of course, I meant Nouvelle Vague!

diablo 01 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Sinead O'Conner's album, am i not your girl, is a brilliant album.

Groove amarda, do a pretty good cover, as do the Pet Shop Boys.

All in my own small opinion .. .. ..
 Swirly 01 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk: It's close but I reckon Rouge's cover just shades it: youtube.com/watch?v=onfNu5TUKGU&
 colin harvey 05 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk: how about Sade's by your side as performed by Beachwood Sparks?
youtube.com/watch?v=J2l3FY6K2IE&
 graeme jackson 05 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
heard the wurzles on radio 2 earlier in the week doing their version of the kaiser chiefs Ruby. Way more fun that the original.

"ruby ruby ruby ruby ooaar ooaar ooaar ooaar"

fantasic stuff
Daithi O Murchu 09 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

Cyril Hahn's remix (total remake) of Destiny's Child - Say my name

may be just coz im having a chilled Sunday morning but this is v.good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUjb7ow62-I&feature=related
 Mark Collins 09 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

The Michael Jackson version of Come Together.

The Alien Ant Farm version of Smooth Criminal, which if the video was anything to go by was supposed to be tongue in cheek. However, that side of it was totally lost on me and I'm sure many others.
Annoying Twit 09 Sep 2012
Tamio Okuda's cover of Qururi's "Bara no Hana". youtube.com/watch?v=YCVGvlZ8nAU&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...