UKC

Jimmy, Christians and paedophilia.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 10 Oct 2012
Now then, now then.

If it was legal to marry a 13 year old 200 years ago what is the Christian view on child marriage in today's society?

Has the bible changed or has it always been ok to marry what we now call children?

If it's not ok now, but was in the past, are the likes of Edgar Allan Poe being thrown out of heaven?

If Jimmy said on his death bed he was sorry (and meant it) will he get to heaven?
 JoshOvki 10 Oct 2012
In reply to estivoautumnal:

1/10 at best
In reply to JoshOvki:

I'm not a troll!
 BigBrother 10 Oct 2012
In reply to JoshOvki: I suspect it will still get 100+ replies though.
 JoshOvki 10 Oct 2012

Of course you are, you are trying to get an emotional response out of someone that is a Christian by trying to join stupid things together.
In reply to JoshOvki:

Ok, the Jimmy thing may not be in keeping with the rest, not stupid though.
 Timmd 10 Oct 2012

You're asking whether who gets into heaven changes when morals on earth do?

JoshOvki 10 Oct 2012

Personally all the Christians I know are reasonable people, and thus tend to agree with what society currently thinks about paedophilia. Same as the Christians I know have no problem with people being gay.

It doesn't mention age of in the Bible.

I doubt it, if it wasn't okay in Gods eyes back then they wouldn't be in heaven. Perhaps 21 is the correct age in Gods eyes, or even older we don't know.
In reply to Timmd:

I'm asking if there is any correlation between Gods law and our law and what the consequences are if and when the two do not match.
In reply to JoshOvki:

See my previous post. it's not the age bit it's more the difference in societies perception of good and evil, Christian or otherwise, and the bible's version.
 bluebealach 10 Oct 2012
In reply to estivoautumnal: I'm quite happy with the age of consent in our country being 16, although I think it's generally accepted that lots of kids are at it, a lot younger than that.

However I understand that the age of consent in say Spain is 13......so who is right us or them?? I honestly don't know, although I'm way to old for it to affect whatever I do..... 'Grab a Granny' is now the norm!!
 girlymonkey 10 Oct 2012
> Now then, now then.
>
> If it was legal to marry a 13 year old 200 years ago what is the Christian view on child marriage in today's society?
>
> Has the bible changed or has it always been ok to marry what we now call children?

The bible never put an age on marriage, but it does tell us that we should live by the laws of the land.

>
> If it's not ok now, but was in the past, are the likes of Edgar Allan Poe being thrown out of heaven?

You get to heaven through a relationship with Jesus, the things we do don't get us into heaven / chucked out of heaven.

>
> If Jimmy said on his death bed he was sorry (and meant it) will he get to heaven?

Yes

Rubbishy 10 Oct 2012

Dunno

i'm still reeling from the morons on the Creationist Road trip.
In reply to John Rushby:

Indeed.

And that chap from northern Ireland exuded an air of menace, didn't he...?
 handjammer 11 Oct 2012
In reply to girlymonkey: > If Jimmy said on his death bed he was sorry (and meant it) will he get to heaven?

Yes

And that is why religion has no meaning in my life. Do what you like, act however you want to, say sorry, and all is well - apart from thoses who were the unfortunate victims. Or is that God's will, because I don't see "the bigger picture?"

mikekeswick 11 Oct 2012
In reply to estivoautumnal: If you want to know about Christian 'rules' then ask somebody who knows....perhaps a theologian might be a better bet than than a random selection of people who likely know nothing more about your question than an informed or not opinion.
In reply to mikekeswick:

That presupposes that there is such a thing a an 'expert' opinion on religious matters

Id have thought that a random group of people on the internet is as good a place ad any to ask this question, and better than most...
In reply to estivoautumnal: All irrelevant, there is no God.

Now that's sorted can I claim my £5.00
KevinD 11 Oct 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

> i'm still reeling from the morons on the Creationist Road trip.

dunno if moron is the right word. More misguided and deliberately blocking out anything which disagrees with how they want to see the world and, for at least a couple of them, had got them through hard times.
Interesting bit on it here (website of the scientist who did the Noahs ark piece).

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2012/10/10/conspiracy-road-trip-wit...
 Al Evans 11 Oct 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal)
>
>
> Dunno
>
> i'm still reeling from the morons on the Creationist Road trip.

Staggering wasn't it
 Al Evans 11 Oct 2012
In reply to dissonance: Thanks for posting that, I thought he could have been a lot more hard hitting than he was though.
 nightmonkeyuk 11 Oct 2012

Submitted without comment - you can make your own minds up:

Anyone working on the Sabbath is to be killed. (Ex 35:2)
Stubborn children were to be stoned, and the stoning was to be instigated by their parents. (Duet 21:18-21)
The eating of fat is prohibited forever. (Lev 3:17)
"Besides she is indeed my sister, the daughter of my father but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife."' (Genesis 20:12)

If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. (lev 20:10)

When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy (deut)

I could go on....
 Niall 11 Oct 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
> (In reply to John Rushby)

> And that chap from northern Ireland exuded an air of menace, didn't he...?

We do that, it's genetic.
 ajsteele 11 Oct 2012
In reply to nightmonkeyuk:
> Stubborn children were to be stoned, and the stoning was to be instigated by their parents. (Duet 21:18-21)

It might help, I find when stoned I'll pretty much just go with the flow and lose all stubborness

And on the Northern Ireland thing, as Niall says we can't help that
 Lord_ash2000 11 Oct 2012
In reply to nightmonkeyuk: Ah but those bits are supposed to be taken metaphorically.
 Reach>Talent 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
Ah but those bits are supposed to be taken metaphorically.

How do you get metaphorically stoned: I thought inhalation or injestion were the normal methods?

BigBrother 11 Oct 2012
In reply to nightmonkeyuk: And these random Jewish laws are relevant because...?
 nightmonkeyuk 11 Oct 2012
In reply to BigBrother:
...its directly relevant to the OP's question. I would have thought it was quite obvious.
 Jim Fraser 12 Oct 2012

In relation to the Jimmy Saville issue, one might like to consider the principle proposed by the TV show 'The Real Hustle': If it appears to be too good to be true then it probably is'.

In relation to religion, power and influence (of any kind), if 2 billion people can be persuaded to believe in your imaginary friend then what percentage of the population can be expected to take advantage? 2%? Far too low: demonstrates extreme naivety bordering on insanity. 10%? Still too low: still very naive. 20%? Getting closer. This is now 400 million people amongst christians alone.

This is only the beginning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...