UKC

Rjukan - Few questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gibson 14 Oct 2012
Hello there, heading to Rjukan at the end of January and wondered if anyone who has been could help with the following queries?

Driving from Oslo - are there tolls, and if so how many/cost?
Rjukanfossen - is there somewhere we can find out if they are going to open the overflow gates prior to climbing it?
Nightlife - is there any? I read that the Norries start late, do they convene in a particular area in the town? How decent are the burds on a scale of 1-10?

Cheers folks!
 Dave Williams 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Gibson:
> Hello there, heading to Rjukan at the end of January and wondered if anyone who has been could help with the following queries?
>
> Driving from Oslo - are there tolls, and if so how many/cost?
http://www.visitoslo.com/en/transport/by-car/toll-ring/
> Rjukanfossen - is there somewhere we can find out if they are going to open the overflow gates prior to climbing it?
No idea as I believe they open automatically without warning and at random times. You could always try asking a local guide (as guides are frequently around in the upper gorge) or perhaps ask in the Climb Inn.
> Nightlife - is there any? I read that the Norries start late, do they convene in a particular area in the town? How decent are the burds on a scale of 1-10?
Err, Rjukan isn't really that sort of place and the ski set seem to party elsewhere. There are bars, but any such wanton activity will cost you £££. Checking the price of a single bottle of beer in a supermarket will give you a bit of a hint!
>
> Cheers folks!

OP Gibson 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Dave Williams:

Superb Dave, appreciated.
I got the feeling it wasn't a party venue but assumed there might've been somewhere the majority convened.
Roll on January.
 GarethSL 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Gibson:

> Nightlife - is there any? I read that the Norries start late, do they convene in a particular area in the town? How decent are the burds on a scale of 1-10?

If you want good nightlife crash a house party, Norweigans don't tend to drink like we do, its generally house parties from 6-late then into town to hit a club, it's much cheaper and imo much more fun. Norwegian girls are hot, super hot... but you're essentially in the middle of nowhere and if its anything like Støren, all you'll get is jailbait and the dregs that didn't make it to uni.
 payney1973 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Gibson: if you hire a car the tolls are normally paid when you return the car, its not too expensive as if my memory serves me there is only one toll.

Stop at the old school hostel normally a cool atmoshpere at night with like minded folks of all nationalities, the booze especially wine in the stores is eye watering prices, take some with you, a beer costs around £8 in the bars, you can only buy wine in the liquor store which opens in the day time only,
for climbing guides you have rjukan adventure, Andreas Spak has his business directly to the left of the inter sort in an old garage.
OP Gibson 15 Oct 2012
Cheers chaps.
How much booze can you take into the country? Thought it was only 2 litres?
 frqnt 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Gibson:

> Driving from Oslo - are there tolls, and if so how many/cost?

I just checked my records from my trip earlier this year and the only tolls I received were from driving in/around Oslo. As follow;

NOK146.25 - TOLL PASSINGS ON E18, DRAMMENSV. AND SØRKEDALSV.
NOK25.00 - TOLL ROAD FEE, 1 PASSING, E6 MOSS

> How decent are the burds on a scale of 1-10?

The jailbait comment is on point. Irrespective of the inherent lack of attainable woman, Rjukan is sweet.
 smithaldo 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Gibson: re rjukanfossen, when we went, a local guide suggested they dont ever open the overflow until spring anyway so in jan/feb you 'should' be fine.
 Mr. Lee 15 Oct 2012
In reply to smithaldo:

When I climbed Rjukanfossen a few years ago I remember I was informed that there was no risk with the overflow as well. Check with the Climb Inn anybody who sounds local at the crags if in doubt.
 Nadir khan 17 Oct 2012
In reply to Gibson: For night life your best bet is hanging out at the Climb Inn , though it seems pricey to stay , for what you get probably isn't too bad . we stayed in the hostel in town which was dead and drove up to the climb inn at night . I've been to Rjukan 3 times now and the general grimness of the place and eye watering prices has put me off a bit , will give it a miss next year i think but theres loads to go at for a first visit
OP Gibson 18 Oct 2012
Cheers everyone, looking forward to the climbing, tasty chicks would have been a bonus!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...