UKC

SPOTY

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
t's getting towards that time of year again.

So who do you fancy?

For me it's Wiggo - TdF, Dauphine, Paris-Nice and a gold medal.

Had it not been for London 2012 and some stella performances there, plus a slam winner, it would have been nailed on, but it's gonna be wide open.

So I reckon it's between, Brad, Andy Murray and Mo Farrah, with Jess Ennis giving a be shout out for the girls.

Would also like mention David Weir - what a man - but I don't think it will happen.

There's also Team and Overseas awards as well.
In reply to Hugh J: Stella performances? Blimey.

Didn't realise they were competing whilst drunk. Hats off to them once again. May explain both the singing and the tears at gold medal presentations though.

T.
 Reach>Talent 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:
So who do you fancy?

Well if you phrase it like that then it has to be Miss Ennis, I just don't think I could think about Mr. Wiggins in that way.

In reply to Hugh J: I wonder if the LA scandal and general "so much shit some sticks" feeling around pro cycling will scupper Wiggins ?
 Robert Durran 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

In an Olympic year there should be no need to look beyond a double track Gold (Yes, I know there are subsidiary fringe events such as cycling in the Olympics, but lets face it, the centrepiece track events are where it's at). So it really has to be Mo Farrah (but probably won't be).
 The New NickB 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

There will be multiple Olympic gold medalists that don't even get on the shortlist this year, it has been extended from 10 to 12 this year.

I think Wiggins is still favourite, second and third will come from Farah, Ennis and Murray. As for the other 8 there are about 50 people worthy of the list, I hope it includes a couple of Paralympians, ideally Sarah Storey and David Weir, I suspect they might include a golfer, either McIlroy or Poulter, I would say Kath Grainger is a definate, maybe even an outside bet on a podium place, Nicola Adams will probably be on the list, possibly ahead of any male boxers, Ben Ainsley would be another definate.

With two places left I haven't included Hoy, Trott or Kenny, all double Olympic champions this year and a total of 6 in Hoy's case. I haven't mentioned the Equestrianism team, including double gold winner Charlotte DuJardin. Loads of others I could mention.
Removed User 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

The lass in the van might have done Wiggo a wee favour getting him back in the public eye
nickyrannoch 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

Not as a potential winner but I wonder if Lawrence Tynes of Greenock is worthy of a mention.

Became a double Superbowl winner with NY Giants this year including game winning field goal in overtime in the Conference game for the second time too.
In reply to The New NickB: Equestrian Team or Ryder Cup Team for the team prize I reckon.
In reply to nickyrannoch:
> (In reply to Hugh J)
>
> ..... Lawrence Tynes of Greenock is worthy of a mention.
>

Interesting but no chance (49ers fan).
In reply to Pursued by a bear: LMAO - I see what I've done there - what a dundeheaded pat! Surprised they missed it with the screening of all medallist!
In reply to Hugh J: Is Usain nailed on (ouch!) for the Overseas Award?
In reply to Hugh J:
> (In reply to The New NickB) Equestrian Team or Ryder Cup Team for the team prize I reckon.

What about British Cycling or Team Sky?
 Chris the Tall 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserHugh J)
>
> The lass in the van might have done Wiggo a wee favour getting him back in the public eye

He might suffer a backlash for using a road without paying road tax, and damaging the wing mirror of law-abiding white van driver
 GrahamD 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

Ryder cup team is Europe though, so shouldn't really be in contention.
 GrahamD 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

http://www.justbookies.com/Articles/sports_personality_of_year_betting.htm

Will give you an idea of the bookies view. Wiggo 4/6, Murray 11/4, Farah 7/2, Jes 12/1, John Terry 475/1
 toad 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:
> with Jess Ennis giving a be shout out for the girls.
>

Didn't realise there was a junior event, but even so I think she'd be a little old.
In reply to GrahamD: Murray it is then, the favourites hardly ever wins these days! Zara Phillips, Ryan Giggs, Joe Calzaghe, AP McCoy.

Or Jess Ennis to make up for the faux pas of not having any women last year.
 balmybaldwin 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

Has the short list been announced yet?

I still think Brad has a good chance, and is probably the most deserving winner (he also for once has personality!)

Team I think could be the Track Cycling team (Olympic and Worlds results), or if they build a big enough stage the Paralympics team

Overseas will probably be Mr Bolt.

Junior to Laura Robson - Olympic Silver?
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Laura Robson is too old to win the Young SPOTY, you have to be 16 or under on 1st January this year.
nickyrannoch 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:
> (In reply to nickyrannoch)
> [...]
>
>
> Interesting but no chance (49ers fan).

believe me as a Pats fan i have even less love for him.
 Darron 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:
Spoty: Andy Murray
Team: Paralympic GB
Young spoty: Jonnie Peacock
Coach: Dave Brailsford?
international spoty: Sebastion Vettel
Lifetime achievement: Seb Coe
In reply to balmybaldwin: I think if Brad doesn't get it, then Team Sky might get the team award to compensate. Apparently it's a public vote......... hmmmmmmm. Though of course they do have one major disadvantage!
In reply to Darron:

Peacock is too old, if the age restrictions were a bit less strict, Laura Trott would be the obvious choice.

Slightly left field because she is Lithuanian, but Ruta MeIlutyte is 15, won Olympic gold and lives and goes to school in Plymouth.
In reply to The New NickB:

I think there is a nomination process for the Young SPOTY award, but I haven't seen the list. Josef Craig is a possible contender, 15 year old Paralympic swimming gold medalist.
In reply to Hugh J:

Wiggo for Spoty -- the first ever British TDF winner has to be recognised. His Olympic gold and other race wins this year can only help his case.

Alex Zanardi for overseas personality.

Sarah Storey for Paralympian - though David Weir will run her close.

Olympic Gamesmakers for Team

Brailsford for Coach

Oooh look what I've done - all have something to do with wheels!

Just to even things up how about Ben Ainslie for lifetime achievement.
 Andy Hardy 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

All the people mentioned on the thread are massive achievers, but since the award is for personality, I think it's got to go to Wiggo. The first man since 1973 to sport cool sideburns.
In reply to 999thAndy: Beyowties!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/allyw/15-best-mutton-chops-xl8

Great shout for Alex Zinardi for Overseas Award.
 The New NickB 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Is there a Paralympian award this year, I don't think there is, although I could be wrong. I dont really think there should be, Paralympians are elite athletes so should be compared against other elite athletes.
In reply to The New NickB:

I'm going to get to shake hands with Sarah Storey on Saturday night -- she and Barney are guests of honour at our club's annual dinner, and will be handing out the prizes. I'd normally qualify for the club's Lanterne Rouge - but as there's no prize for that I have to settle for the 'Frewheeling Downhill' Shield!
Bingers 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Hugh J:

Whoever wins it, I understand JT will be there in his kit ready to get in on the act.
In reply to Bingers: Even if it's Mo? He might have his kit off if it's Jess -oh no, sorry, she's not married.
 GrahamD 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Bingers:

You can seriously get odds on JT winning it - 475/1 ! By comparison I'm amazed just how far out the betting is on Ben Ainslie - 200/1 !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...