UKC

Ben Nevis Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scottie390 25 Nov 2012
ok, who was on what and whats in nick on the Ben?

Cheers,
Davie
 isi_o 25 Nov 2012
In reply to scottie390:
Was chatting to some guys who did NE Buttress yesterday - good they said, but a bit of a swim to get to, and get up!
 Jamie B 25 Nov 2012
In reply to scottie390:

Hard mixed.
 AlH 25 Nov 2012
In reply to scottie390: Was out on the west face of Aonach Mor today and whilst we had an alright day playing around conditions are still mild and sloppy. It was probably just below freezing on the plateau but not a lot and the turf was soggy the whole way up. So if you want to get something done then go onto a snowed up rock route. There is no shortage of snow that's for sure, its doing a great job of insulating the turf! http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/wet-and-sweaty-in-snow.html
 luckyjim 25 Nov 2012
In reply to scottie390: did Ledge Route yesterday.. pretty deep powder at the bottom of number five and onto start of route..doesn t increase difficulty..just a bit more time consuming..
In reply to scottie390:

Between snow flurries, patches of blue sky appeared today (Sunday). Probably more snow sticking onto Carn Dearg than I've ever seen, everything was white!

If only the ground underneath was frozen!!

We bailed after pitch 1 of Jacknife, the climbing wasn't enjoyable.

Stuart
 Jamie B 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Is there much turf on Jacknife?
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Hi Jamie,

The initial slab pitch beneath the V groove, though easy was horrible!

The groove obviously has some, aye you could have got up it, balancing on feet cos you couldn't pull on tools, but where's the fun in that?? We would have done Cutlass if it was properly frozen.

Play the game, stick by the rules, preserve these climbs for future ascents!!

Stuart
 Jamie B 25 Nov 2012

Totally agree, thought it might be an option for these kind of conditions, but evidently not!

I had also, initially thought the same, after seeing a pic on here previously.

I knew Cruachan wouldn't be in!

Stuart
 Robert Durran 25 Nov 2012
> I knew Cruachan wouldn't be in!

I was on the hills just north of Cruachan on Saturday. The turf was frozen where exposed just below 1000m.

Jamie B 25 Nov 2012

> I knew Cruachan wouldn't be in!

Notice you've been there a couple of times - what sort of conditions do you think are best for it?

In reply to Robert Durran:

Probably. I would imagine that Coire Chat would be under a blanket of snow and has been from about Friday or so.

Stuart

Good travelling conditions are essential, can reach crag in under 3hrs!

It is high and very exposed, northerlies to freeze turf, small dump of snow. I would think it's in before Bidean, more open, tad higher.

'Good nicks for frontpoints' where, I haven't found many!!!!!!

Stuart
OP scottie390 11 Dec 2012
Interesting wee trip up Observatory Gully/Tower Gully and down No4 Gully. Good photos on current conditions on the Ben

http://daviescott.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...