UKC

Are you bored with indoor climbing yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ava Adore 15 Jan 2013
I feel this way at this sort of time every year but I think it's more marked this year because I went indoors early because the weather was so bad at the end of last year. And the walls are generally bitterly cold.

Longing for sunshine and warmth...
Wiley Coyote2 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

I took most of November off and all of December. Went back indoors last week, had one session so far. And, yes, I'm bored already.
In reply to Ava Adore: no
 Keendan 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

I've done little outdoor climbing since the summer, and countless days at TCS has been rather sapping on motivation. I've kept myself busy with circuits, hanging my hope on the next time when good weather, transport and free time coincide.

I could see us all getting sucked into a dreary plateu at the station, and I really want to avoid that...
 mattrm 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

Yup, really bored with it. I've only been a couple of times as well.
 SGD 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: I had a hernia done on the 3/12 so it's kind of fallen at the right time. Just started to get back into climbing (indoor session tonight) so I'm not bored yet....but I might be by tomorrow
 ti_pin_man 15 Jan 2013
maybe time to try a new wall... variety and all that.. helps me
 mrchewy 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: I've done sea cliff trad in Nov and Jan lately - bitter cold but the sky was blue. I wore long johns and had a warm jacket with me the second time... infinitely more fun than indoors. Hot aches on trad adds some spice.
 Ramblin dave 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
I think one of the few advantages of living somewhere flat and a long way from any hills is that it doesn't bother you so much when it's too cold / wet / dark to go out cragging after work a couple of times a week, because you couldn't go out cragging after work a couple of times a week anyway.

In any case, I had a good day out on grit the weekend before last, so I don't really see the problem...
In reply to Ava Adore: No, however I got thoroughly bored of the 70 minute drive and the £50+ per tank of diesel a long, long time ago...
Pinged 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

I still manage to get onto a crag more often than one might expect and that can help stave off the indoor tedium.

I also have different objectives for each indoor session and 'play games' to acheieve these objectiuves. Silent feet (or 'once placed' feet), feet tied together with a long quick draw, tennis balls in hand, pyramids, laps/circuits, clip drop etc etc.

Its never the same as outdoor bit it does allow it to be fun and therefore not boring
 John H Bull 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
Not applicable - haven't been for 3 years. Save the cash and go 'sun rock' for a week here and there, if you have the time...
 1poundSOCKS 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: I've got quite into it, my nearest bouldering place (climbing barn, Crossflats) have been setting competition circuits, it's been a lot of fun testing myself, and it's a good laugh working things with the other regulars. Although my elbow is telling me I got a little bit too keen.
 tlm 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

You should come over and play with us. We would keep you well entertained! *cackle*. We generally go on a Tuesday...
 dale1968 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: been in the sun all day at Portland, sunshine and warm
 Skyfall 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

A little. Where do you go?

I use Bear Rock and Creation. Ever come over this way or stick to the east?
 Skip 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

So bored of indoor climbing that i never even started.
In reply to Ava Adore:

Yet? Try about 1998.
Though I've recently promised to introduce the Progenic Unit to The Tower, so my interest may shortly be rekindled somewhat.
 Lukem6 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: i still try outdoors more than i doors i'd
rather be climbing in the dark durin a session of hail than indoors. indoors bores the hell out of, particulurly bouldering. i need length(story of life) and need weekly needle of adventure
In reply to Ava Adore:

Try going to different walls. When the weather is poor I split my time between the foundry and the works with a very occasional visit to the edge. Depends how far the next nearest wall is from you though.
 Ramblin dave 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher:
Alternatively (I guess) try to treat it as a workout rather than a substitute for outdoor climbing. I quite enjoy indoor climbing but I don't enjoy it in the same way (or to anything like the same extent) as I enjoy outdoor climbing, it's more about coming away feeling that you've had a good session of exercise (with the associated seretonin boost) and maybe done slightly better than before at some arbitrary physical challenges.

It seems a bit weird to me reading people who view indoor climbing as the boring unpleasant drudgery that you have to put up with during the winter but keep paying X amount of money and giving up Y number of evenings a week to do it...
 mrchewy 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave: I actually enjoy the wall (Pinnacle) as it's a pretty friendly environment and it's replaced the pub for me. Can't work out the climbing for toffee but the coffee's fine.
 ollieboy 15 Jan 2013
I say man up and get outdoors. I managed to get out the first weekend in Jan, the weekend just gone and I plan on getting outdoors every time it is slightly dry.

Just drop and grade or two and enjoy being out on the real stuff
 alooker 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: no, I can't get bored with climbing whether it's on plastic, rock, snow, ice or that funny polished stuff (limestone?) ! Pulling on plastic beats sitting at home, at least!
Pan Ron 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

No, but I got plenty bored of 3 hour drives, up featureless motorways, to some grim quarry, for some crappy single pitch climbing.
 Dave Garnett 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

No, I like indoor climbing when I can't get out.

That said, I've just got back from 3 weeks in the sun. In New Zealand.
 BusyLizzie 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: Certainly longing for sunshine and warmth! But not bored with indoor climbing because I am fighting a horrible succession of work deadlines this month so the occasions when I get to the wall are wonderful. I am so wanting to go outdoors that every time I fill a thermos part of my mind say "ooh, going climbing" and then the other half of my mind remembers reality and says "no no no, going to work".
In reply to David Martin:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
>
> No, but I got plenty bored of 3 hour drives, up featureless motorways, to some grim quarry, for some crappy single pitch climbing.

Stop going to Lancashire then...
OP Ava Adore 15 Jan 2013
In reply to tlm:
>
> You should come over and play with us. We would keep you well entertained! *cackle*. We generally go on a Tuesday...

I intend to
OP Ava Adore 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Mostly Leicester and Loughborough - both are good walls. It's just me.
 Dave Garnett 15 Jan 2013
In reply to tlm:
>
> You should come over and play with us. We would keep you well entertained! *cackle*. We generally go on a Tuesday...

I'll try to get over regularly on Tuesdays too, as long as we can go to the Congress Inn afterwards. Maybe we could even get Bullybones to break his habit of the last three years (but not next week, unfortunately).
 tlm 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
>
> Mostly Leicester and Loughborough - both are good walls. It's just me.

It's not just you Ava. I think it is the same for many (most?) people who have climbed for a while. I think the thing that keeps me going is the social side of it and wanting to not deteriorate too fast as I descend into old age. Having a wall that is nearby, someone to travel there with and a good group of mates who go on a regular day really helps to keep me going and makes it much more fun. Just trying to motivate yourself is pretty hard otherwise, especially if like me, you aren't making grade improvements or getting stronger as the years go by.... A visit to the pub afterwards makes it all worthwhile... (but we usually end up having a cup of tea nowadays! What's that about eh?!)

tlm 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> (In reply to tlm)
> [...]
>
> I'll try to get over regularly on Tuesdays too, as long as we can go to the Congress Inn afterwards. Maybe we could even get Bullybones to break his habit of the last three years (but not next week, unfortunately).

The congress inn. My new favourite pub. I had to make a special visit, just to get some Belgian cherry beer! That sounds a most delightful plan.
 Motown 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

The couple of days outside a month are worth the training. Have some projects outdoors that make the indoor stuff more enjoyable - had full day of sun on North Cornish coast on Sunday and that keeps me going. Constantly leafing through guidebooks and thinking about what to do when it's next sunny.

However, I do admit I enjoy the feeling of complete exhaustion that's more common indoors than out (cue comments about me not climbing hard enough)but get annoyed with large numbers of people talking about grades, rather than rock...

A warm sport climbing holiday is a good incentive for getting indoors. Yes, I have booked one.
In reply to Ava Adore: I find it incredible people can dislike indoor climbing. You get to train on dry, non tweaky, skin friendly holds at bearable temperatures with all the facilities necessary to get stronger for outdoors. This along with saving a fortune on wasted fuel to half wet/claggy crags means you'll be fitter/stronger with money to spend on trips to decent venues (or abroad) once the weather has sorted itself out.
OP Ava Adore 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Richard Hession:
> (In reply to Ava Adore) at bearable temperatures

Ha! Not round here.
 Ramblin dave 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Richard Hession:
> (In reply to Ava Adore) I find it incredible people can dislike indoor climbing.

I don't find it incredible, but I kind of wonder whether they like any other form of indoor exercise, or indeed being indoors for any reason.

I mean, if I didn't like doing anything that was less enjoyable than climbing on real rock then I'd have a fairly grim existence...
 Kemics 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:

it's weird. I used to actually prefer indoor bouldering to outdoor. So instead of wandering round some really uninspiring pebbles, desperately trying to understand a terrible print out map. I can go indoors have a range of problems, all close together, a variety of styles of climbing, warm and well lit at night.

However. Over the last year i've just totally lost the love for it and really struggle to motivate myself. Can't even say why.

You might be surprised and wake up one day and the thought of going to chalk-haze filled room suddenly seems like a chore.
 deepsoup 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:
You might be right, but I'm on the other side of that curve at the moment. Like many of us I spent way too much of 2012 climbing indoors, and I'm enjoying it more than ever. (Well, I am when the temperature in there is bearable anyway - not today prolly.
 Robert Durran 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

I don't think I could ever get bored of Ratho. Even if outdoor climbing ceased to exist, I suspect I still wouldn't bet bored; it would become asn end in itself. Sad perhaps, but true. However, if Ratho were to close, I don't think I could face go back to a lesser, crowded wall regularly and I would probably just accept being weaker and less fit and climbing worse outdoors.
OP Ava Adore 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Ah, you are lucky. Wish we had a Ratho round here.
OP Ava Adore 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to Richard Hession)
> [...]
>
> I don't find it incredible, but I kind of wonder whether they like any other form of indoor exercise, or indeed being indoors for any reason.
>

Not really. I go to the gym when I need to (for various reasons to dull to go into here) but it's not that I LIKE it.
 williamsf1 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: you have to actually go climbing indoors before you get bored of it though
 Bloodfire 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: I love climbing indoors. It's not outdoors but then thats because it's indoor.
OP Ava Adore 16 Jan 2013
In reply to williamsf1:

I go. I putter after yoga. You're too bloody cold for me at the moment!
 SGD 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: I've just returned from a happy indoor bouldering session so I'm pleased to say my mojo for indoor climbing appears to be quite high which I'm chuffed with after having 6 weeks off

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...