UKC

NEWS: Indian Face E9 for James McHaffie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 09 Jul 2013
Sophie Evitt and James McHaffie at Brimham Rocks, Yorkshire., 5 kbNot content with The Indian Face (E9) he's climbed Gribbin Wall Climb (E9) too.

The dry weather has spurred on some hard ascents, and James McHaffie has been leading the way on UK trad once again...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68205

Tradical 09 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News: Lots of hard climbing going on at the moment, very inspirational stuff! Please keep up the good stuff.
PopShot 09 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News: Me and my friend are thinking of trying this on a top rope to see how far we get
 Dom Whillans 09 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Has Popshot not heard about this yet? I'd have thought that he'd have been moaning about it being the Indian Face coming over here, stealing all our chop routes, what's wrong with the English Face....
Huge congratulations to James. I started climbing the summer after IF was put up and it's always been the pinnacle of British climbing to me; the arguments that went on, and continue to go on around it, and the mythology which has developed are things that I love about our sport.
 Dom Whillans 09 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
Ah, there he is...
 ripper 09 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to UKC News) Me and my friend are thinking of trying this on a top rope to see how far we get

ah, now that was just too obvious...
 Dave 88 09 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing stuff. Can't believe this is only the fourth ascent (not that I'm queuing up to get on it!). Is this the first person to get this in a day?
 Tyler 09 Jul 2013
In reply to Dave 88:

Fifth isn't it? Dawes, Dixon, Gresham and MacLeod
 Flashy 09 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler: I'm not sure of MacLeod did it -- didn't he decide it wasn't for him? Or did he go back again and I missed it?
 mr mills 09 Jul 2013
In reply to Flashy:

Dave McLeod 4th ascent.....
 papashango 09 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:

What was the story with the Master's Wall onsight attempt?
 thermal_t 10 Jul 2013
In reply to papashango:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> What was the story with the Master's Wall onsight attempt?

I've read an account of it somewhere before and it made me sweat all over! I seem to remember that his belayer had to run to the top to lower a rope down to him, effectively leaving him unroped on the face. I might have that wrong though. Anyone got a link to the story?
 Motown 10 Jul 2013
In reply to papashango:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> What was the story with the Master's Wall onsight attempt?

Went off route, and unable to climb or downclimb had to untie in order that his partner could run to the top and lower one down to him. In the description I read, he was two hours on one tiny foothold. It left him understandably shaken.
 thermal_t 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Motown: Just found this version of it, although I'm sure I've read a better version as well. http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/james-heeded-cloggy-s-final-warning-1.367926?r...
 Pete Ford 10 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:

PopShop has a friend, now that is news!

Pete
 Dave 88 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler:

I didn't know Gresham did it. How did I miss that.
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to Tyler)
>
> I didn't know Gresham did it. How did I miss that.

Not reading the guidebook? Neil's article about his ascent is a major part of the introduction to the guide.

Anyway, sarcastic remarks aside, well done to Caff, looks like we are getting closer to an on-sight ascent though I don't know who the contender is likely to be.

ALC

Andy Hardy 10 Jul 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
DJ Viper, naturally.
In reply to 999thAndy:

At least it'll be chalked up for a few days, should help him

ALC
 Dave 88 10 Jul 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Wow, all aboard the banter train. I don't own that guidebook you sarcy tw*t.
 Tradical 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler: I thought Leo did it aswell?
 Exile 10 Jul 2013
In reply to TradRat:

He onsighted Master Wall I think.
 centurion05 10 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Effort caff, the read of your account in trying to onsight masters wall is prob one of the most unbelievable story I've read. Awesome effort.

Pretty sure the account is in the front of the cloggy book, the one with Trevor messiah on shrike on the cover?
 MJ 10 Jul 2013
In reply to centurion05:

the one with Trevor messiah on shrike on the cover?

Think it's Ed February...
 chris fox 10 Jul 2013
In reply to thermal_t:

Fantastic line at the end of that article by his dad !
 laaljohn 10 Jul 2013
In reply to papashango:

I remember popping round to a mates house in Ambleside, where Caff was living at the time. I asked him what he'd been up to. His reply was "I had a little scare in Wales, so I've not done much for a couple of weeks." The then read the story of the 'little scare' a month or two later.
 snoop6060 10 Jul 2013
In reply to thermal_t:
> (In reply to Motown) Just found this version of it, although I'm sure I've read a better version as well. http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/james-heeded-cloggy-s-final-warning-1.367926?r...

Anyone know if there is a version of this from James himself?

Sounds like a proper epic! Everyone likes a good epic story.

Nice work on Indian Face. Finally got to cloggy for the first time this week. The line is indeed as good as they say!
 Blue Straggler 10 Jul 2013
In reply to snoop6060:
> (In reply to thermal_t)
> [...]
>
> Anyone know if there is a version of this from James himself?

Coincidentally it is a central part of Caff's IF blog (link in simondgee's post just above yours!). Excellent. He doesn't call it a "slip knot" or say that it should have failed, just says it was a weird slippery hitch
 jon 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

A rope with knot and karabiner already in it might have been better, in retrospect.
 Blue Straggler 10 Jul 2013
In reply to jon:

I was quietly wondering about that but hey, heat of the moment, terrified for your friend, benefit of hindsight and all that - everything will have been in a bit of a rush for Adam!
 jon 10 Jul 2013

Absolutely.
 snoop6060 10 Jul 2013

Yeah, just read it. Excellent write up. Gripping story about Masters Edge, sounds and utterly grim way to spend an hour!
 snoop6060 10 Jul 2013
> (In reply to jon)
>
> I was quietly wondering about that but hey, heat of the moment, terrified for your friend, benefit of hindsight and all that - everything will have been in a bit of a rush for Adam!

Yeah, you can kinda imagine the guys pain. Its hard enough belaying someone on bold routes, sometimes terrifying even. But cannot imagine what it's like when they are half way up an E8 and are forced to untie so you can save them. I'd be having a panic attack holding the ropes that day!
 mike lawrence? 10 Jul 2013
In reply to snoop6060: I watched James yesterday, very impressive attitude to the whole thing. I think I was considerably more nervous than he was!
 John2 10 Jul 2013
In reply to snoop6060: Master's Edge?
 John_Hat 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Motown:
> (In reply to papashango)
> [...]
>
> Went off route, and unable to climb or downclimb had to untie in order that his partner could run to the top and lower one down to him. In the description I read, he was two hours on one tiny foothold.

ouch.... not nice....
 Zoomer 10 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News: Been up to Cloggy today watching someone playing on the moves and checking the gear. Route well chalked up....6th ascent soon?
 Flashy 11 Jul 2013
In reply to James Oswald: Thanks.
 aln 11 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News: I like his summing up. Basically, he tried it, then he climbed it.
 aln 11 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to UKC News) Me and my friend are thinking of trying this on a top rope to see how far we get

You and DJ Viper?
 aln 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to Tyler)
>
> I didn't know Gresham did it.

I remember it. Till then I thought of him as someone who was good at short hard grit climbs. Then he does the 3rd ascent of this huge mountain death climb. Stands out in my memory.

mark20 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Zoomer:
Calum Muskett has just done the 6th ascent
https://twitter.com/dmmclimbing/status/355311345924726784
In reply to mark20:

Nice one!

ALC
 Skyfall 11 Jul 2013
In reply to mark20:

Trade route now then!

Only joking, great to see it still has such a big appeal.
 McGuinness 11 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News: 7th ascent by George Ulrich!
 ellpeecee 11 Jul 2013
In reply to McGuinness: It's just like buses...jeez. Awesome effort to Caff, Calum and George. Didn't Mr Dawes say that no one is climbing hard anymore?
 GrahamD 11 Jul 2013
In reply to lewk_c:

> Didn't Mr Dawes say that no one is climbing hard anymore?

Whereas they are climbing just as hard as they were 30 years ago ? I think JDs point was that this is still newsworthy - the benchmark hasn't moved on much.

Michael Gordon 11 Jul 2013
In reply to lewk_c:

Well he did do it in '86!

It's hardly leading edge nowadays. But it's great that it's seeing so many ascents! Is it now fair to say that much of the route's aura has well and truly been blown apart? Just a very good, very serious E9?
pasbury 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Caff said in his blog: 'The Indian Face is a true headgame with relatively steady climbing (by modern standards) but with the seriousness impeding your performance on it with lots of bits it’d be easy to cock up and get scared on.'

Kind of confirms what everybody else has said about it. I think it will have an aura for some time, it's that combination of deadly serious and insecure.

In reply to pasbury:

Obviously it's utterly unique. But three ascents in one week? Must do something for it's aura.
 Dr.S at work 11 Jul 2013
is it not just thats its not rained in n wales for a week?
 JDal 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I think you'll find it was a conspiracy
 GrahamD 11 Jul 2013

Ascents 2 and 3 happened within a week, I think ?
Ben_SteepEdge 11 Jul 2013

More to do with people being around, holding ropes and the route being climbed. IIRC Neil and Nick both repeated it in close proximity. You see one of your mates on a route and you want to do it yourself.
 aln 11 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News: Wow. There's somè fit strong and brave climbers going around just now.
In reply to Ben_SteepEdge:

Yes, that's certainly true.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...