UKC

Peak rock launch night

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 smithaldo 02 Dec 2013
Had a great time last night at the peak rock launch. Just to say thanks to the organisers for putting in the obvious effort.

Must have been great for the authors to see so many people coming out to pay homage to their efforts over the past what twenty years.

It felt like a better version of the oscars given the people there.

The special edition beer was a nice touch.
CharlieBrown 02 Dec 2013
In reply to smithaldo:

Agree'd it was a great night but not sure what had upset Johny so much ?
 Chris the Tall 02 Dec 2013
In reply to smithaldo:

Why do I always think of questions after the event? I wish I'd thought to ask Ron and Jerry what they thought of Pete's ascent of Master's Edge, dressed as a banana.

Well done to Niall for the compering - pity that certain people forgot that it was intended to be a comedy evening....
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2013
In reply to CharlieBrown:

Why don't you ask him? I can think of many possible reasons. Anyhow aside from Jonny's breif interval it was an excellent night, albeit as much for the conversation beforehand and the reason for the event (the celebration of the publication of a great book describing the best performance over the years on our wonderful peak gritstone) than the entertaining chit chat show led by Niall in his usual style. I thought the four panel members did very well given it was sort of Today crossed with Jeremy Kyle at times and they had been fed drink and buttered up with traps set ... and yet they all escaped with reputations intact. Mark Leech as a waiter was a nice touch and good on Graham for the book auction bid and the beer (despite reputations he was the most generous person in the room....and I wonder how many folk forgot to donate for their beer?)
CharlieBrown 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

> Why don't you ask him?

I would have like to have the opportunity but he ran away before I got the chance.

> I can think of many possible reasons.

Well you are better informed than me, it was a great evening seemingly enjoyed by all (except Johnny) celebrating a mighty effort by all involved in the production of the awesome 'Peak Rock' so I'm genuinely curious to know what the problem was.
 Al Evans 02 Dec 2013

Pray tell, how did Johnny express his annoyance?
 krikoman 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

> Pray tell, how did Johnny express his annoyance?

He showed his arse while whistling the "Red Flag"
 danm 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Mainly with swear words
In reply to Offwidth:

Well as there was 300 bottles of the Peak Rock ale, 144 pints on draught and over 100 bottles of lager/cider and there was only £305 collected I imagine quite a few didn't donate. A big thanks to those that did but a big thumbs down to those that didn't.

The stingy rep is a Grimer construct!
 danm 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

A room full of old school climbers were never going to be the fastest to reach for their wallets Graeme! Massive props to all involved though, great fun and well done you for buying a book at around £1 a page
 Chris the Tall 02 Dec 2013

> I would have like to have the opportunity but he ran away before I got the chance.

He was still in the car park trying to sell his book after the event finished !
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2013

Obviously I should have drank more faster as I got to the front of the queue as the keg ran out. I know for next time, or you can reserve a stock for those who will donate well! As for Grimer it is pure evil how naturally generous and kind people get misrepresented (loved the thing with the bin
In reply to Offwidth:

Did you get the connection for Pete's intro music?

Was going to do Get' em Out By Friday or Good Ship Lollypop for John - would people have got the clue
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Given the evocative descriptions of great grit ascents in his book and the purpose of the night it was possible for things to have gone better I'm sure. He was really funny during John Allen's entrance.
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2013
Sadly no. I did get that your place were great hosts for the event, so thanks again for that.

I was always going to be a bit less aware than normal as this book is really important for me as it complements the guides I worked on perfectly and celebrates the rock I love. Being surrounded by so many heros doest help either.
Post edited at 18:31
 GeoffRadcliffe 02 Dec 2013

> Did you get the connection for Pete's intro music?

Duran Duran's Wild Boys sounds a bit like Wide Boyz.
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe:

Correct

But what about the other music for Pete
John Allen was also known as the Shirley Temple of rock and guess who sang On the Good Ship Lollipop?

You are getting close to a coveted Blue Peter badge

Get em out by Friday from the great album Foxtrot by Genesis is about a property baron and we can guess who that is ...

And said property baron is/was also a Genesis fan.

Ok so what was Pete's other theme tune. There is a clue in your last answer.

> Ok so what was Pete's other theme tune. There is a clue in your last answer.

I really must pay more attention, I hadn't noticed that he had another theme tune. I must have been chatting ... the elusive badge slips away ...

I suppose you could have played something from Baron Greenback but that would be too obvious. Or slightly more subtle Is this the way to Amarillo but perhaps too subtle.

I guess from the clue it must have been another Genesis track ...

Oh so close Geoff but no cigar. You are right with the link, Baron Greenback but you didn't get the music - the theme from Dangermouse.

In reply to Offwidth:

The power of the tinterweb - someone who didn't realise that your were expected to donate has given donated a fiver. Nice one
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> I wish I'd thought to ask Ron and Jerry what they thought of Pete's ascent of Master's Edge, dressed as a banana.

Nice to see the young people having fun, I imagine. What else could one say?

I enjoyed Tom R's observation that he had the advantage in his crocodile costume, once he'd learned how to use his tail as a counterweight.

jcm
Clauso 03 Dec 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> I enjoyed Tom R's observation that he had the advantage in his crocodile costume, once he'd learned how to use his tail as a counterweight.

E6 as a crocodile, then? Possible E8 as a banana?

... The fact that it awaits an FAO - First Ascent as an Owl - hasn't escaped me.

In reply to Clauso:

Ethically dubious making an ascent with wings, I think.

jcm
 Offwidth 03 Dec 2013

Lets hope there will be more. People can grant aid to MHT or CAC and increase the value of any donation made through the web and I'm sure your place will collect belated cash donations from guilty consciences. There is no such thing as free beer I've been told. Having watched you bid £450 for a less than £100 book in the charity auction and provide the venue and much of the ents I think you have more than covered your own consumption.
 UKB Shark 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Graeme I too owe you a fiver..
OP smithaldo 03 Dec 2013
In reply to shark:

And me, will give next time am in works.
 BlownAway 04 Dec 2013
In reply to smithaldo:

Did anyone take any photos of the launch that they would like to share?

I've already uploaded a few, and have some more, but if anyone has any more then it'd be good to see them, either here or on the book's facebook page.

Phil
 Al Evans 04 Dec 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

It must have been good, Jack Street phoned me in Spain to say what a great night I missed!
 BlownAway 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

You were missed, Al. There were lots of people there that you would have known.

Can't believe Jack called you! Has the book arrived yet?

Phil
 Al Evans 04 Dec 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

Sadly no, but I do not have a good experience with Fed Ex in Spain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...