UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: Nathan Lee on 'Lets Get Killed' - E7 6b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 09 May 2014
Nathan Lee on Lets Get Killed E7 6b, 4 kbIn this week's fantastically frightening Friday Night Video Nathan Lee solos the terrifying 'Lets Get Killed'.

Check out these "extremely dubious death pebbles"...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68909

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 May 2014
In reply to UKC News:

First saw this a while back - top quality belaying spotting by Dad Lee,

Chris
 Mick Ward 09 May 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Agree - that's the kind of belayer/spotter you want!

Mick
 fenclimb 09 May 2014

pretty sure I'm not naths dad...
 Puppythedog 09 May 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Great spotting, good film too. More my taste than the brief Ondra film.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 May 2014
In reply to fenclimb:
> pretty sure I'm not naths dad...

Possibly not - but I think it is a D.Lee,

Chris

PS I always got Dominic and Daniel mixed up!
Post edited at 21:53
 The Pylon King 09 May 2014
In reply to UKC News:

For god sake lose the mu sick.
 Jon Stewart 09 May 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

I quite like the tune on this one (Bonobo or somesuch?). Which is odd for me as usually I don't. What soundtrack would suggest instead? Just wind-through-mic sounds shit.
 fenclimb 10 May 2014

It's Dom who's naths dad but it me "spotting" in the vid
 dominic lee 10 May 2014

I was at work Chris..blissfully unaware..
 ablackett 10 May 2014
In reply to dominic lee:

I might get shouted down for saying this, but I would rate my chances of surviving a fall from those pebbles if I had a helmet on.

If I didn't have a hat on, I wouldn't be so sure.

Why do most hard grit climbers not wear helmets?

Does anyone know the stats on how likely someone is to survive a fall of 5-10m with and without a helmet so we can have an informed conversation?

Enjoyed the video.
 Michael Gordon 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

I never understand it either. Ah well
 JMarkW 10 May 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Agree - that's the kind of belayer/spotter you want!

> Mick

Agreed. Cool video.

Cheers
Mark
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 10 May 2014
In reply to dominic lee:

Sorry about the mistake I.D. - looks like I can't tell you apart from anyone let alone your bro!

Chris
 remus Global Crag Moderator 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

I think you're likely to be thwarted by a small sample size there!
 Coel Hellier 10 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> What soundtrack would suggest instead? Just wind-through-mic sounds shit.

Yep, wind-through-mic would be better, far more atmospheric (adding to the Wuthering Heights feel of the location). The article suggests "... get terrified just watching!", but I for one can't get terrified with that sound-track playing. If they'd used the music from Psycho then ok.
 ablackett 10 May 2014
In reply to remus:

> I think you're likely to be thwarted by a small sample size there!

I disagree, in climbing history there must have been dozens of falls of 5-10m, with and without helmets. I have no idea if anyone has tried to put together the stats.
Removed User 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:
I would have thought the main indicator of fall survivability is whether or not you land on your feet. In which case helmets aren't going to make much of a difference. The primary job of a spotter is to stop your head hitting anything.
Post edited at 09:54
 remus Global Crag Moderator 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

But there are dozens of variables to control for. Number of pads, quality of landing (however you measure that), number of spotters...
aschmidt 10 May 2014
In reply to remus:

Lets face the obvious facts when it comes to helmets:

1: yes, helmets protect against head injury and are likely to make a difference between death/serious injury on one side and full recovery on the other side.

2: yes, helmets are uncool.
 Otis 10 May 2014
In reply to aschmidt:

> Lets face the obvious facts when it comes to helmets:

> 1: yes, helmets protect against head injury and are likely to make a difference between death/serious injury on one side and full recovery on the other side.

> 2: yes, helmets are uncool.

Number 2 is an opinion, not a fact! And it's an opinion I don't personally share, but each to their own and all that
 Tommyads 10 May 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I think it's possible a helmet could have made him more likely to fall?
It says something about him "cheek against wall" which would be difficult with a helmet on.

For some routes it probably comes down to, do I want to be safer if I fall, or less likely to fall and a vulnerable swede.

Vaguely remember Tom Randal(?) saying something like this recently too.

Personally I would prefer a spotter to a helmet in most situations.

I didn't wear a helmet on Elder Crack recently, not because I thought I was cooler, but because it was safer to reach gear and probably more enjoyable. Is that acceptable to the helmet police?
aschmidt 10 May 2014
In reply to Tommyads:

thats the good thing with the helmet police, they accept even the weirdest arguments against helmets (my favourite is the one with the "cheek against the wall"), because the lack of a helmet doesn´t make climbing more unsafe for the helmet police themselves...

I myself climb quite often without helmet, but I don´t make up arguments and try to sell it as a safer way of climbing.
 Tommyads 10 May 2014
In reply to aschmidt:

I don't think I made anything up? I thought that's valid enough.

I don't wear a helmet because I don't like them. I tell that to helmet police (who have approached me at crags before!?) and that's always been a valid enough reason.

Anyway I'm not getting sucked in to this. I'm out.
 deacondeacon 10 May 2014
In reply to Tommyads:

Have you really had someone come up to you and mention that you should be wearing a helmet?

simes303 10 May 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Good effort.
 francois 10 May 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Nice smooth climbing style by Nathan! I don't fancy the look of those pebbles ....
In reply to Tommyads:

I met a young Goth woman the other day who told me that her (admirable) standard reply to anyone who suggested she should moderate her look was 'F*ck off, I look amazing.'

I'd suggest this as the best reply to anyone who approaches you at the crags and suggests you wear a helmet. It seems to strike the right balance between one's natural inclination and giving the other party something to be pleased about.

jcm
 fenclimb 10 May 2014
In reply to Tommyads

I think with modern helmets being so well fitting ad light this isn't much of an excuse. Tom d'gay climbed this route in an old camp rockstar helmet on the first ascent and didn't fall off. Also know that nath has a huge head and was struggling to get a helmet that fits him, something he now owns and uses.... When he remembers it.
 skellymax 12 May 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Great to see some good old balls out heroic soloing (now that I'm far too old for it). I know there would have been a fair amount some top roping beforehand but nevertheless I was absorbed and gripped just watching, what a buzz that must have been, pleased for you, well done Nathan.
 Jimbo C 12 May 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Oh dear, another helmet debate.

Excellent little video. Made my stomach feel funny watching Nath start to use the pebbles.
 Mick Ward 12 May 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> ...'F*ck off, I look amazing.'

> I'd suggest this as the best reply to anyone who approaches you at the crags and suggests you wear a helmet.

Couldn't agree more. F*ck the helmet police... and f*ck the, "Why're you carrying your prussiks on a non-screwgate krab?" police. In fact, f*ck the police, period.

However, knowing gentle, unassuming Tom (Tommyads), it may take quite some effort at the crag to crank him up for the requisite salutation. Am prepared to put in the effort though.

Beats pulling on those pebbles on the (appropriately named?) 'Let's Get Killed'. Shudder!

Mick

john arran 13 May 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

Sometimes people get hurt even though they are wearing a helmet. I think it's completely irresponsible not to wear two helmets.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...